1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G Evaporative emissions system missing - looking for a fix

Posted by benspilk09, Jan 25, 2021

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. benspilk09

benspilk09 Proven Member

Joined Feb 16, 2010
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    As the title states, a previous owner of my car removed the charcoal canister, lines, purge valve etc from my car. The vapor line is capped on top of the tank and the fuel cap is the only means of venting.

A vented cap spills fuel on the side of the car from time to time and makes my garage smell like gas. I don't want this due to the mess, smell, and fire hazard.

Anyone have any ideas on how to rig up a universal charcoal canister and purge valve to have it cooperate with a boosted engine? I'm thinking an old school one port canister with integrated, vacuum operated purge valve. I'd use a check valve to protect it from boost, and run the purge line to the intake so that it would only see vacuum.

Is sending fuel vapor through the turbo a bad idea? Should I send it through the throttle body and again protect it with a check valve?

Are there any holes in my plan? Should I just spend a fortune rounding up all the stock parts? I hate to do that...

Street Build 502  4

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  2. Vegas Smith

Vegas Smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Is there a reason why you can just uncap the fuel tank and run a vacuum line somewhere to vent?

Street Build 5K  4

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  3. benspilk09

benspilk09 Proven Member

Joined Feb 16, 2010
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    I don't want the smell in my house, nor the fire hazard. My car is also illegal if I ever decide to move somewhere with emissions testing.

Street Build 502  4

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM