The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Euro Eclipse GS swap Galant VR4 engine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olejakadudu

Proven Member
Nov 10, 2022
Porto, Portugal, Europe
I know this topic is... ancient, but I have some doubts regarding this question and I think I'd better post here instead of creating another topic.

I have a 2G GS with a n/a 4g63. Will the Galant VR4 4g63t fit perfectly on my car? I want to turbocharge my engine, but I figured it would be way cheaper if I just bought a 4g63t. =)

Assuming your Eclipse GS is a European version that has a 4G63 NA installed you can put a Turbo engine and ECU in the car with a reasonable amount of effort.

What might the confusing you as you search around is that the US 2g NT cars have a Chrysler 420A drivetrain and it's not practical to swap them.

Assuming your Eclipse GS is a European version that has a 4G63 NA installed you can put a Turbo engine and ECU in the car with a reasonable amount of effort.

What might the confusing you as you search around is that the US 2g NT cars have a Chrysler 420A drivetrain and it's not practical to swap them.
Thanks. It is the EU version, yes. So, any 4g63t will fit? (Galant VR4, 2G GST, 2G GSX, and Evo 1-3)
I didn't realize that there were 2Gs with non-turbo 4G63s... that's kind of awesome.
Yes, there are! (EU version)
Here's mine:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That article is for a 1g. What you're doing should be no different than a 1g engine into a 2g. You will have to adapt the cas sensor and you will need whatever wiring harness changes. Additionally your nt trans is not the same as a turbo trans. It will bolt up. Have you read up on 1g engine in a 2g? If you find a 2g turbo motor there are still differences. You could potentially also use your existing head onto a turbo block so you would have proper pistons, comp ratio etc. Many choices to make here.

Also keep in mind, that article is 20 years old, while it was awesome to have that provided to us some of it has been disproven or applies differently for what we have available today, not to discredit anyone as of course that was 20 years ago and technology has changed drastically. That was from the era of “if you throw anything more than wastegate pressure at non turbo pistons from a 14b they’ll blow!”, which is a mindset still heavily embedded in the heads of some dsmers despite the advances in tuning technology and despite a few of us have proven that not in the least bit true. None the less, even being 1g related it still gives a good idea of what is or could be involved.

Like I’ve said in the past, with proper tuning given the engine you have is in good condition the non turbo pistons could very well last a long while seeing boost (living proof), not to say a factory turbo engine isn’t good reassurance, that does leave something to consider though. Keep in mind some of these JDM imported engines can be the reason the car it came out of was scrapped in Japan to begin with, aside from them typically being grossly marked up. Not always but there’s always a risk you’ll pay top dollar for an engine that needs a rebuild anyway, and at that point simply freshening up what you have now with turbo pistons will yield the same result. For what JDM imported engines typically cost you could have your block machined and buy replacement pistons but have something fresh. Yes I realize you’re overseas so buying parts can be a different challenge, but with stock turbo replacement pistons available online they’re still obtainable much cheaper than buying a whole JDM engine that might be tired right out of the shipping container. Just something to consider.

Also keep in mind, that article is 20 years old, while it was awesome to have that provided to us some of it has been disproven or applies differently for what we have available today, not to discredit anyone as of course that was 20 years ago and technology has changed drastically. That was from the era of “if you throw anything more than wastegate pressure at non turbo pistons from a 14b they’ll blow!”, which is a mindset still heavily embedded in the heads of some dsmers despite the advances in tuning technology and despite a few of us have proven that not in the least bit true. None the less, even being 1g related it still gives a good idea of what is or could be involved.

Like I’ve said in the past, with proper tuning given the engine you have is in good condition the non turbo pistons could very well last a long while seeing boost (living proof), not to say a factory turbo engine isn’t good reassurance, that does leave something to consider though. Keep in mind some of these JDM imported engines can be the reason the car it came out of was scrapped in Japan to begin with, aside from them typically being grossly marked up. Not always but there’s always a risk you’ll pay top dollar for an engine that needs a rebuild anyway, and at that point simply freshening up what you have now with turbo pistons will yield the same result. For what JDM imported engines typically cost you could have your block machined and buy replacement pistons but have something fresh. Yes I realize you’re overseas so buying parts can be a different challenge, but with stock turbo replacement pistons available online they’re still obtainable much cheaper than buying a whole JDM engine that might be tired right out of the shipping container. Just something to consider.
Thanks, I think that I'll really stick to my engine, rebuild it and then turbocharge it. As you said, there's no guarantee that used engines are in good shape and it would be more expensive to buy an engine and repaire it (or actually rebuild).

Thanks, I think that I'll really stick to my engine, rebuild it and then turbocharge it. As you said, there's no guarantee that used engines are in good shape and it would be more expensive to buy an engine and repaire it (or actually rebuild).
And (personally), I think that there is something special about keeping the original engine with the car -- even though a full swap would be cool -- but be sure to document the build on your vehicle profile! I want to see what it's like to build a non-turbo 4G63 🙂

And (personally), I think that there is something special about keeping the original engine with the car -- even though a full swap would be cool -- but be sure to document the build on your vehicle profile! I want to see what it's like to build a non-turbo 4G63 🙂
Indeed!
I will, for sure. However, I am gonna take things very, very slow. I am in Portugal and parts are kinda hard to scrap here. And then there's the money bit. If only I had a German salary... :coy:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back