The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

ETS Intercooler upgrade to 98 talon

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks for posting all your info up. Im really thinking about buying just there 7inch core since i have another uicp setup and just get the rest of the pipes made. Im glad to see there isnt much bumper hacking cause i really wanna keep it. I have been looking to buy fog lights as well but never wanted to buy them until i did a fmic. You had no problems keeping them? Im planning to run a 20g so im hoping this core can support 350whp. My other concern is overheating but im still looking into that and probably just follow what some people said in the thread.
:talon:

No bumper support hacking...Foglights are supposed to be a hacked a tad bit, I probably should've done a little more b/c I had to bend the brackets too much and theres only 2 bolts holding it looks real clean with the fogs and the core....

The 7" core has endtanks/outlets facing the engine so I dont see how it would help to use your current piping

Not saying anything to the locals. I only participate on rmdsm.org. We aren't interested in the 10's. We are interested in going into the 8 second range ultimately. It's a GT4202R. No rides. Just one aluminum kirkey seat.

Steven

Cool. Well good luck on your quest!!

FH

BTW, I also stripped some ETS T-bolt clamps....Such a pain in the ass, had to run over to AMS and get a whole new set

Well, give them a call, and see if they will send you a new set. especially if you had the ETS versions. They just offered to send me a set..

Good luck.

FH

Thanks for posting all your info up. Im really thinking about buying just there 7inch core since i have another uicp setup and just get the rest of the pipes made. Im glad to see there isnt much bumper hacking cause i really wanna keep it. I have been looking to buy fog lights as well but never wanted to buy them until i did a fmic. You had no problems keeping them? Im planning to run a 20g so im hoping this core can support 350whp. My other concern is overheating but im still looking into that and probably just follow what some people said in the thread.
:talon:

The Kit I ordered was a custom fit for my 98. The core was 20" with smaller 2" end tanks. so if you plan on doing what I did, make sure you spec it out that way, or you will end up with a longer core, and won't be able to keep the lights. My setup allowed me to not have to modify the factory foglights in any way. there was ~3/8" gap on each side of the FMIC and the foglights.

All the pics I posted are with this special 24" (total length) core, and acording to JR, this setup should support up to 400hp. (I would think it would be ok for 350 HP.)

As far as overheating, I would recommend trying to keep the upper portion of the plastic air duct. That will make a big difference in the cooling. The lower portion of duct will have to go, but that should be ok. I chose to make a panel to help direct air back into the radiator, as well as support the lower edge of the fascia.

FWIW

Thanks alot Funk1, been a great help. Hopefully i will get mine ordered soon. Got some other mods to take care of first

edit: You dont think 2.5 end tanks would fit with fog lights at all? That be my ideal setup, so id have to make up my mind.

Thanks alot Funk1, been a great help. Hopefully i will get mine ordered soon. Got some other mods to take care of first

edit: You dont think 2.5 end tanks would fit with fog lights at all? That be my ideal setup, so id have to make up my mind.

It would if you decrease the size of the IC by 1". so in that case you would have a core of 19" and end tanks of 2.5" for a total of 24".

A little data point for those of you who have been following this thread... I have a digital (laser) thermometer, and I get a full 20 degree drop from the input to the exit point of the IC. this eve I measured it after some heated runs, and on the input side it was 61 degrees (it's winter here after all) and 40 degrees on the exit side.

So even though the IC is smaller than some, you get a good cooling effect.

FWIW

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but this intercooler design, specificly the end tanks, is quite poor. Read the engeneering article on dvdtfab.com in their 2g kit portion of the site and you will see how bad it really is.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but this intercooler design, specificly the end tanks, is quite poor. Read the engeneering article on dvdtfab.com in their 2g kit portion of the site and you will see how bad it really is.

You're not bursting my bubble. I am 100% satisfied with the setup and it's perfomance increase over my old side mount.

Thanks for the info tho.

If you think that design is "poor" look at the Endtanks on Short Route kits for 1G's...Looks 10x worse, But yet cars still manage to get into the 9's and faster usuing them...

I have read dvdtfabs articles and it makes a lot of sense. Especially if you think about the fluid dynamics that go along with it. The fact of the matter is, depending on turbo sizing, boost, elevation, etc. The design of the endtank could be or could not be sufficient enough to get the job done. In this case, yes the design is not as efficient as the dvdt fab one, but the main question is (at least to most consumers) does it do the job at an efficient price. Most people are willing to take an 80% efficienct FMIC versus a 90% efficient FMIC for a big price cut and the simple fact that a 70% efficient FMIC will do the job.

I'm not trying to argue the price factor or turn people away from buying these intercoolers but to educate them before they buy and what design IS better and why. I would rather spend the extra cash on something that I will never have to upgrade and that was designed by an engineer. Some other people my have this veiw as well but do not have the education about these things to make a choice. If you are aware of the design flaws or drawbacks and still decide that is the way you want to go then by all means do it.

Well I have had dinner with Albert and his girlfriend. And have helper out in the pits and raced with him. He cannot however give me the deal the JR at extremeintercoolers can. Plus JR has done a handful of custom intercoolers in a pinch for us. Both get my vote.

Steven

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back