The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G ES Front Lower Control Arm Bushing Problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purple_Demon

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 18, 2011
Chillicothe, Ohio
I am doing a full rebuild of my suspension and have come down to the rear lower control arms(not the toe arms). I have the full Energy Suspension kit and have installed all of them, but the control arms dont work...Both control arms have the "taper" outside of the metal sleeve. Both of the control arms have the taper in the same direction. Thus the Energy suspension bushing must be installed a certain way....only one problem. This leaves both control arms identical. It works for the passenger side, but it leaves the drivers side control arm resting against the subframe.

The metal bushing for energy suspension has a taper to it, so only part of the metal bushing will fit. Am I installing this correctly? I followed ES's instructions but it just doesnt make sense to me. This is putting my build on another halt since I cannot seem to find replacement arms at all.

THESE ARE TWO DIFFERENT ARMS PICTURED******
They still wind up being completely identical even though they shouldnt be.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Instructions Shown:
http://www.prothanesuspensionparts.com/Installation_instructions/Prothane/13201.pdf

Last edited:
I found the reasoning to my own problem.

When pressing the old oem bushing out, I pressed it out in the direction of the tapered holes on the control arm. This caused the larger end of the bushing to travel through both holes in the control arm, thus opening the last hole to a larger diameter than it should be. This is what causes the "wobble" of the bushing when a new one is installed.

DO NOT PRESS THE OLD BUSHING OUT IN THIS DIRECTION!!!

PRESS THE OLD BUSHING OUT IN THE FOLLOWING DIRECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!

AS of now I am still trying to figure out a way of fixing this, because if I am not mistaken the control arms are discontinued and no longer available(at least for one side).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back