The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

epoxy instead of welding aluminum ung to aluminum pipe

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtodsm97gst

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 23, 2011
Lewisville, Texas
can i use epoxy instead of welding a aluminum bung to aluminum pipe?
i need to finish my sd setup and getting it welded will cost me $75-$100 too much for just the bung. can epoxy handle it? would it work?

More than likely it won't stick. Or be leak free.

That's a crazy amount! If you were close I would do it for $20 at the most.

epoxy said will work on aluminum. so your saying it will not work? i wish your close by that would be awesome.

It's not that bad of a price. I would do it for $73, but I usually just weld a bunch of material onto the pipe, then drill it and tap with the appropriate tap. I think Epoxy would break off sooner or later. The job would easily take an hour to complete, especially including pressure testing the job for leaks afterward.

I would love to, but i made a hole already on the tb elbow, and need the car running by today. But i dont have 80-100 $ to spend. So no on the epoxy? Have anybody tried or any other alternative to do this? Thanks

If it's a VRSF pipe they are actually a bi*** to weld LOL... Cheap chineese aluminum WITH anodizing

It is vrsf indeed.. Lol

Go buy a thread-in tire valve and modify it to work. They have rubber gaskets and have a nut on them to get good and tight. I used to run one on my SRT4 for a boost reference and 1 with a schraeder valve in it to do BLT's. They work great for like $3.

Go buy a thread-in tire valve and modify it to work. They have rubber gaskets and have a nut on them to get good and tight. I used to run one on my SRT4 for a boost reference and 1 with a schraeder valve in it to do BLT's. They work great for like $3.

Not a bad idea i'll see if i can find any of those tire threaded valve.

If you going to use epoxy might as well give it the best chance possible and aluminum solder/blaze it. You can buy the rods at harborfreight under the name alumiweld. It's in the welding sections and works amazing well for small non structural projects like adding bungs and making small brackets.

If you going to use epoxy might as well give it the best chance possible and aluminum solder/blaze it. You can buy the rods at harborfreight under the name alumiweld. It's in the welding sections and works amazing well for small non structural projects like adding bungs and making small brackets.

Thanks for a good idea, i will do that. But for now i'll stick with epoxy, need the car running asap, and i'll do that next week.

It's not a good idea that shit is shit... AND... Itll look like shit

I see, i'll get it welded when i can get the $ for welding the aluminum, but for now i'll give the epoxy a try. Would the epoxy comes off easily?
And i'll give the tire valve a try if i can find one.

Tire stem won't fit an IAT sensor. Weld it up. As for the glue. Use a flap pad on an angle grinder after you snap off the bung itll clean it up with little damage. Use the finest flap pad you can find.

Are you going to be using JB weld?

Yes jb weld.

Just try it out dude, as long as it works, it works. Although I'm a do it once type of dude, but from what I read your low on mula.

Remove the valve stem pin, drill out the inside of the housing. As long as you aren't using some gigantor IAT, it'll work swell.

Any autoparts store should have them. They're with the tire repair stuff.

IMO, its easier and easier to clean up than any epoxy would be.

I didn't use a bong on Mine I just drilled and tapped the aluminum intercooler piping for the iat

Do not use epoxy or jb weld, u really think it would hold up to the heat and pressure. Just weight and get it welded, try calling an exhaust shop and they should do it for cheaper or even like mitas or a place that works on vehicles. If you go ahead and an try it which i do not recamend I would not go under boost at all and if you use jb weld I think it needs 24hr to set fully.

I actually did this once a long time ago with my MK3 supra, i cant remember what i used (Might of been JB Weld) but i cut a hole in some exhaust tubing, used the BOV flange and JB Welded/Epoxy'd it to the IC piping. It worked and held boost up to 14psi and never blew off or leaked (That i knew of) but i only had it on my car for maybe 30 minutes to an hour as when it dumped to atmosphere my car would stall out.

Just get it welded though, its not worth the risk and wondering whats going to happen.

[ame=http://youtu.be/hHvrE1Cd5Eg]Soldering aluminum using Harbor Freight aluminim welding rod #44810 - YouTube[/ame]

Like most of us, you or your buddy's have a 20 $ torch laying around, the rods are cheap, i bought mine at Home Depot, even though Im an avid lover of Harbor Freight.
Give it a try, there are plenty of videos on YouTube on how to DIY weld with aluminum .

Note, before any "Debi downers" rain on my option, just find him a better alternative.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back