The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Engine wont crank clockwise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syrushcw

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 12, 2006
Trumbull, Connecticut
So I did my timing belt for the new engine and it is the oddest thing it wont crank by hand clockwise, I can crank it counter clockwise with out braking the crank pulley bolt loose. I can crank the whole assembly counter clock wise 360º nothing hits. but if i move it an in counter clockwise then back clockwise it doesn't budge at all. This has me dumbfounded since it just came from said position. Any ideas?

from what Ive heard you should never rotate a engine the opposite was then it is supposed to turn. Do you have your spark plugs still in? is it in a compression stroke?

No spark plugs, compression stroke? The rotating assembly is suppose to turn counter clockwise? I thought it was clockwise

Double check your cam timing before you do anything at all. The VFAQ should help you.

You should have 1 compression stroke every 180* of crank travel. If you can get it to go CCW 360* then smoothly back to the position it was sticking clockwise then you're hitting something mechanical.

I let a friend mill my cylinder head down one time. We accidentally swapped the intake and exhaust cams. I don't remember what it did, but it was a pain in the ass. Make sure you didn't do that.

Turning the engine CCW can cause slack to build up in the timing belt and it can skip a tooth when you go to start it. It's also not tensioned for the CCW direction, so you could skip a tooth. I've never had this happen to me, but I always check when I do it. Turning it clockwise should take up the slack.

I let a friend mill my cylinder head down one time. We accidentally swapped the intake and exhaust cams. I don't remember what it did, but it was a pain in the ass. Make sure you didn't do that.

I'm relatively sure I didn't do that but I'll triple check since it worked on my other block i just unbolted the head and put it on the new block with out taking the camshafts, timing marks look good I made sure 3 times I didn't put on the crankshaft sensor plate backwards <-- that's what i originally thought the problem was

Is the car in gear and at least 3 tires on the ground? Maybe your trying to move the whole car by turning the crankshaft pulley.

Check your timing job as stated. Both cams should have the pin at 12 o clock and cyl 1 at TDC. This will make sure valves won't be causing the piston's to not travel.

It is relatively hard to do though with the spark plugs in. You have all that air built up into the cylinders it can be a lot harder to turn it than you might think.

Well I took the timing belt off an isolated the problem the balance shaft wont turn clockwise i unbolted it loosened it took it off back on took off the oil pan IDK it wont turn clockwise

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back