The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Engine wiring harness

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8s_are_slow

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2002
Panama City, Florida
Not really sure where else to throw this at so in here it goes.

Called the dealer to price a wiring harness. Over $500 freakin dollars!!! Anyway, my motor is out and needing to get a new one in there cause all the ends are brittle and most of the plugs are falling off. Don't suppose anyone knows of a place other than the dealer to get these? Yeah, probably a dumb question.

Anyone changed one out? Wondering how extensive this is or how hard it is to get thru the firewall once the motor is already out. Of course I see nothing in the VFAQ on it. I may have to remember to take some pictures. Also, I have a parts car that's a turbo model but it's fwd whereas I'm awd. Anyone know if they'd just swap out? Need to somehow find out what harness would swap from one dsm to the next (might help to save people from having to spend over $500 freakin dollars for "wire") and I don't seem to find any info on this at all. Thanks!

Scott

v8s_are_slow said:
I have a parts car that's a turbo model but it's fwd whereas I'm awd. Anyone know if they'd just swap out?
Yeah, the harness from the parts car should work. There is no difference in the wiring between an AWD and FWD. There IS however a difference between Automatic and Manual, there are more wires for the Automatic. Not sure on 90 models other than the ECU pin differences. I've also found complete harnesses on eBay. Good Luck! :thumb:

Oh, and I would have put this under the Newbie Forum, since it doesn't really fit here or under any of the other categories.

Sorry, I really didn't know where in the heck to put it. Another thing though, how hard is it to do the swap? Does the wiring harness plug in somewhere to the harness just inside the firewall? Or is there a lot of crap on the inside as well? Thanks!

Scott

If you remove the passenger side kick panel and the carpet you can see the wiring loom for the ecu. It goes through the firewall, just disconnect all of the connectors and remove the grommet in the firewall. Then carefully push the connectors throughtthe firewall one at a time into the engine compartment. It helps to have somebody helping you so you don't damage the connectors. It's not too difficult to remove.

Is your current harness salvageable? Some times you can take the pins out of the connectors and cut the broken or damaged wire(s) off. Then strip the wire and reconnect it to the pin and re-insert it into the connector.

GVR4592 said:
If you remove the passenger side kick panel and the carpet you can see the wiring loom for the ecu. It goes throught the firewall, just disconnect all of the connectors and remove the grommet in the firewall. Then carefuly push the connectors throught the firewall one at a time into the engine compartment. It helps to have somebody helping you so you don't damage the connectors. It's not too difficult to remove.

Is your current harness salvageable? Some times you can take the pins out of the connectors and cut the broken or damaged wire(s) off. Then strip the wire and reconnect it to the pin and re-insert it into the connector.

Alright, I just didn't know if it ran behind the dash and a bunch of other places or if it connected somewhere right inside after going thru the firewall. My harness is all brittle, wires included. So think I'll just go ahead and replace it while the motor is out. The dealer is sure bending me over on that price though. Sure they're making a huge profit....off of some wire and plastic connectors though :mad: Thanks for the info though.

Scott

Furthermore, the link sucks though cause there's no pictures. :p I'm trying to figure out if they're removing the dash JUST to get out the a/c unit under the dash or not. Heck, if that's the case I'll save a lot of work cause I've stripped out the a/c unit before without taking the dash board outta the car. Unless the wiring goes up behind the dash to where I can't reach or I have to pull out all kinds of wires from the drivers side, I just don't see the need and can pull it with the dash still in the car. Hmmm.... :| :sosad:

man just pull the dash in the parts car i mean i just put like 2 bolts in that thing before i gave it to ya! i think once you get the dash out its simple.

dnhieu said:
man just pull the dash in the parts car i mean i just put like 2 bolts in that thing before i gave it to ya! i think once you get the dash out its simple.

maybe if i still had the parts car :p i'll get it figured out though. don't doubt my skills. :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back