The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

engine trouble

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gstcrazy95

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 16, 2010
Muncie, Indiana
A couple days ago my engine started making a ticking noise up near the intake manifold. I figured it was either a rod knocking or a lifter problem. How long can i drive in this. i plan on getting it checked out asap but just don't have time or the funds right now. This is my DD and planned on taking a loan out to rebuild the engine sometime this summer. Any input, opinions, or help would be gretalt appreciated.

It's a 95 gst 4g63 130,000 miles

If its rod knock/ spun rod bearing, you should stop driving it immediately.
If its just lifter tick, you can replace them with 3g lifters for cheap.

Post up a vid of the sound if you can and we can try to tell you what it is.

well actually i checked my fluids and my oil was dry. I have no clue how because it had only been 4,000 miles since the last change. I filled up the oil and it stopped. So I'm assuming it was that

i lose a quart of oil a week. you gotta be on top of that stuff now since it's burning off so much somehow. i usually don't change my oil as often as i should anymore because i have to keep adding it.

If it was completely dry you need to check for a serious leak somewhere...make sure your oil plug is on tight....or its burning it like f'n crazy!!

I wouldn't say leaking/burning like crazy.
Although if you don't drive your car hard then yeah that would be pretty crazy.

It's very uncommon to have a turbo car with higher miles like ours with mods, and have no oil burning/leaking.

If I floored it around in my car every day and didnt check my oil I'd probably lose 2/3rds of it.

I leak a bit of oil in heavy boost from my cam seals despite being fresh twice now. I also build up a decent bit of oil in my catch can if I don't check it except at oil changes and I've been at WOT alot.

It just depends how you drive and what mods you have and how you've done them.

Could be a serious issue or simply you need to do what I do and check your oil once a week - keep some quarts on hand.

You should take a day and replace you oil seals. My car was leaking at the seals.

I also found myself adding oil instead of the oil change. I also "mineralized" my engine with mineral oil, to protect it during this mess. The high temp burnt the mineral oil up but not before it gave my engine a nice golden coat of protection (I seen it when I took it apart).

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/maintenance-repairs/371884-how-blow-up-your-oil-pan.html

Remember that the life of your turbo is oil... You find and fix this or you're gonna need a new engine and turbo soon.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back