The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Engine trouble AGAIN?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C1nical

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 14, 2008
St. Peters, Missouri
So I recently just had my head rebuilt because my car jumped time, still paying off the bill for it, and I think my car just did the same exact thing this morning. I thought I had run out of gas, so I went and put gas in it, car still won't start. I have no idea how to check for myself to see whether that's what happened or not, but if so I am going to just get rid of this car. I can't handle the amount of money I have to dump into just so it can break down again. Is there ANY way I can get it running enough to sell it without having to have a mad amount of work done to the motor?

Thanks for any help guys.

What exactly is happening? Starter works but won't turn over? What sounds is it making?

d

Well I just went out and tried to start it again, and it started to sputter and sound like it was trying to start, but it wouldn't it would just sorta die. I stopped for a second, went to try and start it again and now it won't even turn over, im not getting anything. I have power, my lights and everything work.

Could it be the starter?

Turns out it seems to be that the fuel pump burnt up, and theres some funky shit going on down near the fusebox under the dash with the wiring, thats messing with the starter.

So, since I have to replace the fuel pump I have a 16g sitting in my room I intended to put in my car, what should I go with?

Last edited:
You should fill out your profile. All it says is catback. If you are stock except for a catback and your throw a 255 on it, you'll overrun your fuel system. I'm more worried about the electrical problem.

d

The mechanic who did my headwork (cousin's friend) came by and looked at it last night, he said hes going to try and figure out whats going on with the electrical issue, because I don't know anything about that. It's odd that this randomly happened yesterday, I haven't had any sort of electrical problem or shorts prior to that.

I will update my profile, but yes its stock besides turboback and header. Also, how complicated is changing out the fuel pump on our cars?

Not too bad from what I read. If you are going to upgrade, the recommended thing would be to buy the 255 and get an fpr along with rewire your current setup. That will allow you to "upgrade" while still being safe. I haven't done one before but I'd be willing to stop by and help. I'd take it as a learning experience before I do my own.

The only difference between a 255 and fpr with rewire and your stock will be a louder wine from the rearseat.

Rewire: 2G DSM FWD Fuel Pump Rewire Instructions

Fuel Pump Install: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...2-95-99-gst-gsx-walbro-fuel-pump-install.html

FPR: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/338084-aeromotive-afpr-install-install-kit.html
&
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/375597-afpr-install-how-video.html

d

You are a life saver.
I have to wait until friday to order anything since I don't have the money at the moment. But when I do you are more than welcome to come by and help LOL. I've got a list of shit this car needs to have replaced, and I can't get to any of it because something like this continues to happen. my harmonic balancer needs to be replaced as well.

I'm gonna have to search online and see how much all this is gonna run I suppose.

You are a life saver.
I have to wait until friday to order anything since I don't have the money at the moment. But when I do you are more than welcome to come by and help LOL. I've got a list of shit this car needs to have replaced, and I can't get to any of it because something like this continues to happen. my harmonic balancer needs to be replaced as well.

I'm gonna have to search online and see how much all this is gonna run I suppose.

It may be better to itemize all of the issues and put together budget to get everything fixed.

d

Update...

I finally just replaced the FP. With a walbro 190, tried to start it, still will not start. I also figured out that I dont seem to have an electrical problem, but something is up with my clutch, I guess the sensor. It won't try and turn over or anything unless I sort of push the clutch towards the right when I have my foot on it. But when I do, it does try to start, it just doesn't. I can hear the fuel pump, its a pretty loud annoying sound LOL.

Any ideas what I should try now?

Update...

I finally just replaced the FP. With a walbro 190, tried to start it, still will not start. I also figured out that I dont seem to have an electrical problem, but something is up with my clutch, I guess the sensor. It won't try and turn over or anything unless I sort of push the clutch towards the right when I have my foot on it. But when I do, it does try to start, it just doesn't. I can hear the fuel pump, its a pretty loud annoying sound LOL.

Any ideas what I should try now?

unplug the clutch switch on the pedal assembly. doin this will allow starter to engauge while in gear so make sure u either have the car in neutral or clutch pedal compressed.

I'm not 2g but no one said it. Could it be crankwalk? Because of the problems with the clutch? Like I said I know more about 1gs just trying to help

you may have power for lights and small current draw devices, but dirty and slightly corroded connections on the battery that can inhibit full strong current from the battery to the starter.

check your connections and have clean lead to lead contact between battery posts and connectors - in as well as the wires attached to both connectors are clean and super tight. If you got crapola, hammer beaten, screwdriver pried apart connectors, replace them with new.

Good luck-DSM

Battery is fairly new, the connectors are new, were just replaced. I am getting spark as well, I checked all my plugs.
I also checked near the injectors to see if fuel was going through the lines and it indeed is. Sprayed that shit everywhere. So I guess that rules out the fuel filter? What should I look at next?

injectors? CAS? FPR? ECU? ECT? I know I should probably start checking these things, but in which order, and how do I actually go about testing them to see if they are infact faulty or not?

Are the spark plugs getting wet with fuel, just because the lines have pressure doesnt mean the injectors are firing. The fact that you are getting spark is reassuring though.

Just thought I would say that I found out I am getting a P0335 code, so I am replacing the crankshaft position sensor Friday and hopefully won't need to reply to this thread too much longer. LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back