The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Engine timing issues with cams and overheating

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

untouchablecc

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 21, 2008
Mt. pleasant, Pennsylvania
I have been having some trouble with my engine timing lately and I wanted to source some outside opinions.

This started on saturday when a friend and I went to get something to eat and left through a parking lot where my car had died while I was idleing at a stop light. I instantly knew this was a timing belt, I had only had this dsm a week and was going to change the timing belt that day. I ended up changing the timing belt in the parking lot and got the car home but I had noticed that I did not hear the lope of the 272s that are in it. Now I had done a compression test warm and all of the cylinders were about 130 on a stock 6 bolt engine and the previous owner said it was around 140 across the board (my battery was turning slow so this could be the case). Now its still possible that I have bent valves but it still runs fairly decent.

I have tried redoing the timing 3 days in a row now. The car starts up and idles fine right around 1k. It pulls pretty decent but I do not have a cam lope and the car heats up driving normally on the highway with both fans on full. I was told that when you have the timing out you can run too lean and my spark plugs prove it because they went from a nice brown to ash white. The thing thats driving me nuts is I have had 2 friends check my timing and its on. Now I did change out the cam gears with another set of stock 6 bolt cams and this is a 6 bolt engine. The one cam geat stuck out about 1/8th inch more then the other cam gear that the car came with.

Any Ideas or suggestions?

Have you set base timing to 5* TDC with a timing light? Most cars don't "lope" with a 272, its just not aggressive enough if it's tuned correctly and/or are you 100% certain the car even has 272's in it?

Just throwing out some ideas and, if you think you might have a bent valve, do a leak down test.

:dsm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply Gofer. I ended up picking up a timing light but still have not gotten around to shooting base timing. I do not have a the ability to do a leak down test right now but I did resolve my timing issue. I took some pictures of my cams and I still do not know who makes them but im guessing its BC. Anyways the timing marks were lining up perfectly at 2 different points with these cams which I was new too because Ive put probably 20 of these in time with stock cams no problem. I just took a straight edge and lined the center of the cam bolts up with the center marks and the head. It got rid of my rediculous overheating after a minute of driving but im still getting progressivly hot after a 20 min drive on a 60 degree day. Its been roughly 30 degrees or less and it was not heating but but yesterday it was 60ish and It got hot in traffic. I need better airflow to the radiator and the fans I have probably suck because there on all the time and it doesn't seem to help.

Thanks for the reply Gofer. I ended up picking up a timing light but still have not gotten around to shooting base timing. I do not have a the ability to do a leak down test right now but I did resolve my timing issue. I took some pictures of my cams and I still do not know who makes them but im guessing its BC. Anyways the timing marks were lining up perfectly at 2 different points with these cams which I was new too because Ive put probably 20 of these in time with stock cams no problem. I just took a straight edge and lined the center of the cam bolts up with the center marks and the head. It got rid of my rediculous overheating after a minute of driving but im still getting progressivly hot after a 20 min drive on a 60 degree day. Its been roughly 30 degrees or less and it was not heating but but yesterday it was 60ish and It got hot in traffic. I need better airflow to the radiator and the fans I have probably suck because there on all the time and it doesn't seem to help.
Check yoiur thermostat and waterpump as well. Hope your headgasket is fine as well. If timing belt is on point and ignition timing is fine the forementioned would be the next things I would think of.....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back