1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Engine tick or knock help!

Posted by michael rodney, Sep 19, 2019

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. michael rodney

michael rodney Probationary Member

Joined Aug 9, 2019
    Millbrook, ON, Canada
    Hi there. Just got a 95 Talon tsi. Had to wire in new relay box under hood as I guess there was a fire from rodents. Got that done and fired up. Now I have some issues electrically speaking to deal with as some of wires were duplicates but on initial start there was a faint tick that started after a couple minutes. Now it's worse. I'm not driving car yet till I sort out all issues. It sounds like it's up top in head but it's a lot worse. I changed plugs and oil. Researched on here for the ngk plugs. I just used a synthetic Mobil 1 for oil change. Is there an oil pump or something I should be checking fuse for????

2. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    No fuses. Could be a collapsed lifter, pull the VC and see what things look like. Look for loose rocker arms when the cam lobe is not pressing on it. If it has any significant play then I bet the lifter is collapsed.

Street Build 226  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

318  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 868  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 1K  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  3. michael rodney

michael rodney Probationary Member

Joined Aug 9, 2019
    Millbrook, ON, Canada
    Ok. I'll get a video of it as well. Has an exhaust leak but can't get that fixed until I know it's good to drive. These are new to me so...I don't get a lot of time with lil ones but I'll let you know what I can see. Thank you.