The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

engine sway from a 7 bolt to 6 bolt how much work is it

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoggTalon

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 13, 2012
Mankato, Minnesota
How much work is it to change 7 bolt to 6 bolt motor and what will i need... another question i would like to get to 400 plus hp with 6bolt what is the best way...

remove a bolt :). No seriously this has been covered countless times. Go to google and type in "6 bolt swap into 2g dsm" it would be so much easier then asking for everything..

Do a search. But, a 7 bolt will handle 400hp too so if your engine is good, why swap it? More off boost power, less rotational weight... with a 7 bolt.

+1 on keeping the 7bolt, I know the crankwalk fear is still pretty high, often justifies the swap and its the first thing thought of anytime something might be wrong with the 7 bolt engine but crankwalk is pretty rare these days. Old as these engines are now chances are if it was going to walk it would have happened by now.

+1 on keeping the 7bolt, I know the crankwalk fear is still pretty high, often justifies the swap and its the first thing thought of anytime something might be wrong with the 7 bolt engine but crankwalk is pretty rare these days. Old as these engines are now chances are if it was going to walk it would have happened by now.

It's not so much about age as it is the upgrade clutches put more pressure on the crank and worsen symptoms.

However REAL crankwalk shouldn't be feared and it's about as common as winning the lottery.

Most people with "crankwalk" see it with EVERY problem they have. "My old drain plug is stripped" CRANKWALK! "My cluth isn't engaging right" CRANKWALK! "My horse just died" CRANKWALK!

The first time I heard about "Crankwalk" was from a friend who owns a Stingray. One of the guy's in his Corvette club upgraded to a heavier clutch and started noticing play in the crank. I honestly don't know why everyone acts as though it's exclusive to 2g DSMs.

I agree, cost wise keep the 7-bolt. by the time you locate a good rebuild-able 6 bolt, and then have to buy a flywheel your bill will be very high. Just build the 7 bolt.

I have a 6 bolt laying in the garge... so you guys are say i should just go with 7bolt and maybe sell the 6 bolt one

Sell the 6, thats straight $$$ for the build right there. New turbo, injectors, link... if its a good runner you could probably sell it and pick two from that list or maybe all 3 if you held out and bought good used stuff

A 6 bolt swap is easy. It's even easier if you keep the 7bolt head and have the head bolt holes bored for the larger 6 bolt head bolts.

400 hp out of a 6 bolt or 7 bolt is no problem. If you keep the 7 bolt and want more than 400hp I would upgrade the rods for peace of mind.

What's wrong with the 7 bolt bottom end that you currently have?

There isnt anything wrong with the bottom half just stock... my timimg belt slip and bent the valves so i was thinking about taking 6 bolt head and put it on for now

How much could i sell it for and i even tell have the car to

Thought people were saying i should go with the 7 bolt and see the 6 bolt one

7-bolt motors are fine. I wouldn't ever bother swapping a 2g DSM. But, if you want to, just google it. The process to swap the motor is not hard at all.

There is no reason to tear out the 7 bolt that's in there. Fix the head, put it back together and drive it around. Build the 6 bolt as a spare for when the 7 bolt dies. In reality, it does not matter what engine you have in your car. Once they are build, the are essentially the same thing.

I have a 6bolt it my 2g currently because I got it cheap and my 7 bolt died. If throw a rod through my 6 bold block, I will buy whatever comes around, weather it's a 7 bolt or a 6 bolt. Really, it does not matter. Putting a 6 bolt in is only a little more work

http://magnusmotorsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/1gina2g.pdf

I was thinking about the 6 bolt swap also, but I didnt want high numbers. All I wanted was the 250 to the wheels I had before.
So I figured the 7 bolt has about 210 at crank, and the 6 bolt has about 190. The 6 bolt already has the 14b on it, so it would be no upgrade for that motor. With the mods I have on the car, Id only be putting down maybe 220 to the wheels on the 6 bolt motor.
I decided to rebuild my 7 bolt, and not sacrifice any power, or have to get/MOD anything.

There are steps to take if youre going for 400+ wheel horse. Try searching around for some suggestions. Just do it right. Dont jump in, and only put on a big turbo with mad boost, and expect everything to be ok.

I wasn't thinkinking about just jump in just take like steps in to it if i was going to put a big turbo on i prob would want to buff up the insides first

It's not so much about age as it is the upgrade clutches put more pressure on the crank and worsen symptoms.

However REAL crankwalk shouldn't be feared and it's about as common as winning the lottery.

Most people with "crankwalk" see it with EVERY problem they have. "My old drain plug is stripped" CRANKWALK! "My cluth isn't engaging right" CRANKWALK! "My horse just died" CRANKWALK!

The first time I heard about "Crankwalk" was from a friend who owns a Stingray. One of the guy's in his Corvette club upgraded to a heavier clutch and started noticing play in the crank. I honestly don't know why everyone acts as though it's exclusive to 2g DSMs.

^^^^^after reading above said post I had just woke up and decided to "troll" and I literally never spit my coffee out in the morning and this guy has defined it to a "T" hahah "wife wanted to divorce me.....CRANKWALK" +++1 to you, thousands of comedians out of work and you should be making some money off that one.

If you are going to do the swap do your homework and take your time. Not really complicated just don't rush it.

sorry forgot to put my .02cents in... if you weren't too concerned on prices you could strip both down, 1g/2g piston rod combo, 6bolt block, 7bolt head, then the only thing you would need is the adapter to convert 6bolt to 2nd gen trans... and lastly, yes this topic has been discussed a billion times but once again it never hurts to point someone in the right direction

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back