The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

EVO 8 4G63T into Hyundai Elantra GLS swap?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EclipsingZero

Probationary Member
Dec 8, 2014
Justin, Texas
Hello Everyone,

So i am new to this forum and I have a question about an engine swap that is going into a non-dsm chassis. The problem i'm going running into is transmission related and i need your help and some advice. I have a 2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4 door that has the XD20 w/a manual transmission. I have had this car for about 3 years and currently needs a lot of work done to it to even make it road worthy. I know what your thinking right now and this is not a prank in the slightest.

I previously own an 96 Eagle Talon TSI AWD which was about 16 years ago and has gone to the parking lot in the sky due to being rear ended by a 04 Dodge 3500 with a cow crusher.

The reason why i am posting this is because I would like to turn this Hyundai into a cheap (some what cheap) track car or more road course. I know that a 03 - 06 EVO 8 4G63T motor will bolt up to the same motor mount location that the factory XD20 mounts to. The tricky part is needing a FWD transmission that will bolt up to the motor. I was wondering if the 95-98 Eclipse GST trans will bolt up to the motor.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the noobie question.

No you need a transmission that will bolt to a Sirius II block.

The 4g63 in our cars is a Sirius platform engine. The newer 4g63 that has been used since the evo 4 is a sirius II engine. They flipped it to spin the other way (correct way) so you don't need a counter shaft in the trans to reverse the rotation. Also the bellhousing changed. SO even if you made a bellhousing adapter, the trans would still spin the wrong way. At least that is my understanding of it.

Ok, thanks for thead heads up. I really do appreciate it a lot guys. I was able to source the motor from an 04 that was hit in the rear for about $4200 (which way higher than I thought) and now off to find the trans. I will be running a Haltech Elite top operate the motor and the chassis harness to help operate everything else. I will also run a race pack guage system since the factory gauges are already not working and can easly installed and i can repin the factory harness to work.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back