The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G 2gNT Engine Swap GS to a 4g63

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4g63tk

Probationary Member
Oct 30, 2022
Rockford, Illinois
How much would it be to engine swap a 2G gs to a 4g63?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly this has been asked hundreds of times. It isn't a feasible swap for diy and to have to pay for it would cost considerably more than keeping your gs and just buying a 4g63 car.

Yes it has been done but considering over nearly 30 years I think I've heard of 3 people that did it.

In my opinion I would not consider this. Just because it's the same body style does not means it's compatible or easy.

The two cars have a completely different configuration in the engine bay - engines and transmissions on opposite sides. That means not only changing out EVERYTHING, including the wiring, but also fabricating (cutting and welding) the engine bay to accept the mounts and positioning for the 4g63/tranny. And while that may sound not too bad - you would have to be superbly accurate and exact in the placement and positioning and angle of everything because otherwise you end up with torsional stress on components due to non-true angles and vibrations.

Basically you would need to be a master fabricator, and you would have to source all of the parts (engine, tranny, full wiring harness, axles, ecu, accessories, brackets, etc. etc. etc.). By the time you put all of that time and money into the car, you could have bought a GST or GSX and gotten it running 11's.

If you have deep pockets, mad skillz, and significant spare time to burn, and have no expectations of a favorable outcome, go for it! You'd be in an elite club for sure!

However, if you just want your gs to go pssh pssh and feel the lung-compressing joy of boost... then either boost your gs or hunt for a gst/gsx. There are several threads on here about boosting NA dsms, and a gst/gsx isn't too hard to find (yet).

Steve

Assuming 2g ... Evo swapping is your best bet. Look up complete evo motor tranny combos on eBay for a price idea. Then try and track down the awd swap parts as in rear subframe and knuckles and gas tank etc. Plus the appropriate t case and diff to match your gearing. That raises your price alot. Also consider the gs/rs unibody isn't as strong as the gst/gsx. I'm not sure how much but I've personally seen less internal bracing on the n/t cars. It's definitely possible and has been done but it's not cheap and it's involved for the average guy.

Lately I spend more time fixing titles, deleting old cruft, and playing english teacher than answering questions.
Sorry Steve, I assume your the one who has fixed some of my stuff then as I’ve seen edited by moderator a time or two. I’ll try to lighten your load up a little. 👍🏼

To the OP, sell the car and buy a 4g63. If your bent on keeping the car put a small turbo kit on it and run 8-10psi. Swapping the car is not worth it unless your bored. You could sell it, buy a 4g and put that money into and be far ahead of the game. Let alone the simplicity of already starting where you wanna be.

-Daniel

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back