The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Engine Stand Bolts [Merged 8-21-20] bolt mounts mounting attaching

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rivet0r

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 22, 2002
Riverside_CA
I picked up a 6bolt for my 95 tsi (walked), and also an engine stand. I was wondering what the best place would be to bolt up to on the block? Also, what bolts should I use and where can I get some? I don't have any spare bolts or anything I can use, so I need to buy some either way.

Any help would be great,
rivet0r

I had a similar problem, not of my local hardware stores had shit for metrics. My engine stand also required long ass bolts.

FWIW: Honda B-series Trans bolts work perfect.

Ok I know this seems pretty trivial but I thought I would ask before I did anything crazy and dropped the engine and stripped something important. I'm about to put the engine on the stand to put all my new parts on my built block but don't know where to mount the engine to on the mounting plate and which bolts to use. I know with a 6 bolt I used the trans bolts but never did it with a 420a.:confused:

I always use the trans bolts as long as they fit through the mounting plate (length wise), or just buy some high grade bolts to use. Mount the stand on the motor as if the stand is the transmission.

I can do that but what about the crank pulley side I can mount it using the trans bolts and the locations and do the new timing belt and put the crank sprocket and what not on along with head work but I have a new clutch coming and a findanza flywheel to install. That's why I'm trying to figure out how to mount it the other way to install thos?

I have always done the clutch side while it was on a lift not the stand. I dont think that you can mount it on the timing side. To mount it to the stand, the trans bolts will only work in the top holes because there are no threads in the other two. You have to buy two bolts and nuts. I just used 3/8 inch bolts from lowes for those two.

Yeah I do the same, I install the rear main seal, flywheel, clutch and transmission while its on the cherry picker.

Although on my 6 bolt, I got 4 bolts and they all threaded through and worked fine, I didnt use any nuts, just bolts.

what exactly are you trying to do? If you are wanting to work on your transmission out of the car, it is best to drain the fluid out of it and put it on a large stable table. IMO, it is not good to hang a transmission by just the bell housing. The back would also need to be supported as well.

well if you have a welder you can fab some sort of bracket that hooks to the side of the trans and slots into the engine stand.. that way the case is able to oscilate...

Hmmm, yes I need to replace the end clutch and put in a shift kit. The awd tranny is pretty short compared to something like a turbo 400 which really hangs back, I hung a turbo 400 and it was fine like that. I can build a small table for it if need be. Welder is buried right now:)

420a Question below:

Ok guys I picked up a spare motor for a rebuild and was just wondering if this is the right bolt size for mounting the motor on the stand (Transmission side). I just want to make sure so I don't have to make a bunch of trips to the store.

12m * 1.75 thread... 70 mm long

Does that sound right?

No that doesnt sound like the right thread pitch. Just use your tranny bolts to hold the engine on the stand. If those arent long enough, take the bolts into a Fastenal or something similar and have them get you some longer ones.

Make sure you post the answer when you find out. I also have a spare engine, and due to a surgery I have not put it on a stand yet. I don't have the tranny bolts because I bought just a block by itself.

Make sure you post the answer when you find out. I also have a spare engine, and due to a surgery I have not put it on a stand yet. I don't have the tranny bolts because I bought just a block by itself.

Same here I don't have the tranny bolts either that is why I was asking. If I had them them I would have just tried them to see if they worked :p . So anyone have an idea which ones I need?

Just so if anyone else searches for this:

The correct bolt size for the top 2 bolts when mounting to the stand is: 12m * 1.75 thread 70 mm long

I used 7/16 x 4" long bolts for the bottom 2 holes with nuts of course.

So when you want a 420a and don't have tranny bolts use:

2x = 12m * 1.75 thread 70 mm long
2x = 7/16 x 4" long bolts
2x = 7/16 nuts

i need to know what size bolts to put the engine on the stand also what grade ? thanks

I used M10 x 1.25 x 75 for mine with only 2 washers.

Depending on the length of the engine stand bracket spacers, you might need a longer bolt, a M10 x 1.25 x 100 will most likey be long enough, but you might need some spacers and/or washers.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::rocks:

Alright......I've looked everywhere and I mean everywhere for M10 1.25 75mm bolts...I've been to lowes,home depot,autozone,pep boys,checkers,napa,even independent nut/bolt shops, I cant find any 10.9grade bolts anywhere, I picked up 8.8 bolts at lowes but i don't feel confident enough to have them support an entire longblock. I had the 8.8 bolts hold up the shortblock well I reasembled but I'm just not sure about an entire longblock. Anyone used 8.8 for an entire longblock? Thanks

The best bolts to use are head bolts from a 1.8L engine. They are long so use all the extra head bolt washers. You can also use main cap bolts in the two trans mount holes in the block but not the ear holes. I actually used a main cap bolt in the front ear trans mount hole when I put the trans back in my car.

bumping an old thread but im assuming these are coarse threads? i forget, i put my engine on the stand a while ago and im about to transfer to another stand. My new stand has longer "fingers" that the bolt has to go through so im looking for new bolts atm.

I work at a hardware store and we don't sell metrics in grade 8, we don't even sell them in grade 5. Would I be ok using just regular bolts? The Lowes and ace by me went out of busines. So its between my store and homedepot( who ewe have a better sellection over)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back