The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Engine sounds done

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidmet

Supporting Member
Jul 23, 2012
Aurora, Colorado
Engine started making this noise, now I'm not really sure where to go from here. Any help diagnosing would be great. Probably drop the oil pan shortly. Timing is on. Head components are new, new lifters that were bled.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I did find the flex plate to be loose. Like all the bolts came out half a turn (for convo sake) and the flex plate will wiggle back and forth and hit the bolts (making a metal on metal striking sound)
So the cause of metal contact sound was the flexplate bolts.
Did you inspect the coils, spark plug cables etc etc, too? You don't see any physical damages on those?

So the cause of metal contact sound was the flexplate bolts.
Did you inspect the coils, spark plug cables etc etc, too? You don't see any physical damages on those?
Checked coils and spark plug wires. No damage at all. Checked starter, good. All grounds were in good shape.

The noise wasn't the bolts rubbing anything but the flex plate hitting the bolts, or so I hypothesize.

Checked coils and spark plug wires. No damage at all. Checked starter, good. All grounds were in good shape.

The noise wasn't the bolts rubbing anything but the flex plate hitting the bolts, or so I hypothesize.
Well yeah I meant the bolts were loose. It's a common issue.
I am really concerned about the sparks on the engine. I hope that is just some sort of camera lens noise.

I’m no expert but it sounds like a blown throw out bearing

upon listening again I’m almost certain

start it and push the clutch in and out and listen to what happens

Last edited:
To close this out as solved. It was the torque converter/flex plate bolts. Will need some thread locker on it. I'll be posting my next issue shortly! Haha. Last one to solve and I'll be super happy.

I also tack weld the flex plate bolts now as well. I have seen more than my fair share back out. Not what we like to see at 10,000rpm and 1000hp.

I spent 13 hours going through this car today. Among the many issues I found, no offense Sean, this turned out it was both the flex plate and torque converter bolts had come loose. I have it running very well now and will be tuning it tomorrow. I am also putting it on the Dyno on Monday as well.

None taken! Thanks for jumping in and saving me! Hahaha

I spent 13 hours going through this car today. Among the many issues I found, no offense Sean, this turned out it was both the flex plate and torque converter bolts had come loose. I have it running very well now and will be tuning it tomorrow. I am also putting it on the Dyno on Monday as well.

Well as you see he has clearly stated that it's solved above, so I still can't get this situation. But if it runs well now, that's a good news anyways.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back