The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

engine shakes at WOT

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfred480

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 8, 2009
Mississauga, ON_Canada
Hi everyone,

So my car when i go into WOT my car starts to hesitate and it wont speed up smoothly its shakes the whole car. Now i was thinking misfiring could cause this problem along with my lifters that tick causing bad timing, not too sure what other problems it could be any ideas? Also I am getting my lifters replaced soon gonna buy a set off ebay the 3g ones and going to get new wires and plugs.

Sounds like it could be timing!!! My car did the exact same thing.

Tell me this: It's not a violent shake like missing, but more that you can just tell it's not "smooth", right? A misfire will shake the whole damn car, pulled timing from lifter tick just felt like a small vibration in the engine.

My lifters were causing a ton of phantom knock, causing the timing to pull back, causing the slowness and the slight "shake".

I run mobil 1 synthetic now, and the tick is much less. I still need to install 3g lifters, but it doesn't pull timing as badly as it used to.

Make sure that your injector clips are all well connected. I had a broken clip and the car basically idled ok but the more load I put on the engine the more it shook since only 3 cylinders were firing.

I never actually stay on the throttle long enough to notice if it does that but, I will try it out and see if it does. Also, where is the knock sensor located?

Also, I am getting the spark plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, done. As well as getting a 3 stage cleaner done to the car you guys think this will help with the hesitation on the car?

If you're getting bad vibrations just trying to dip into the throttle then DO NOT go to WOT long enough to find out whether it pulls smoothly or not. If it ran smoothly EXCEPT at WOT then that would be one thing, but if it's unhappy with just a mild load then it's gonna' be really unhappy under full load and you don't want that.

So I My friend and I suspected that one of my wires could have been causing the problem because it was longer than it should've been, so I am guessing it was not getting the spark to the plug fast enough when I opened up the throttle causing the shaking/misfiring i suppose, but now I got new plugs, wires, fuel filter, and did a 3 stage cleaner and it is running mint now, no hesitation AND NO MORE TICKING WOOT! Thought I was gonna have to get the lifters done but for now it looks goodLOL:hellyeah::thumb:

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Hey everyone,

So I changed my intake back to stock and have a 2g to 1g bov adapter, I have the stock airbox and hoses running from the intercooler to the throttle body. I used to have metal piping with the 1g bov mount welded on and an injen cone filter. I was also running 15lbs of boost before i took my boost gauge out and it was running fine. Now here is the problem I only changed the air filter and one side of the intercooler piping (intercooler to throttle body), but when I go to WOT past 3000 rpm my car starts to shake and NO more power is made, but the turbo continues to spool loudly, possibly a boost leak? Maybe too must boost for the stock intake setup and its running rich maybe? I have no idea, I have taken it back to the shop and they are working on it, but any ideas?

Please any help is appreciated.

alfred hook your boost gauge back up, nd do a pull, when the car shakes look at your boost gauge. when you changed that one intercooler pipe and wiched the air box you could of fixed a boost leak without even knowing it, so u could be overboosting. try it and let me know.

My mechanic just took the MBC out and put it back to stock setup. The only thing that is different from stock is now I have a 14b turbo instead of the t25. I have never felt the power of a stock tsi talon awd when doing a pull, but compared to before when I had 15lbs with the other piping and air filter and the MBC still in I still felt a continuous power increase up till about 6000rpm. Now that I have the stock setup again just with a slightly bigger turbo I feel no more power increase after about 4500 rpm any ideas why? Also, I probably won't put the gauge back in either, I am not planning on pushing this car it is more of a daily driver just with some fun once in a while.

I would still recomend to put the gauge back in, its not just for power, it will let you know if you have a vaccum leak, so i consider mine as a vaccum censor as well, it never hurts to have one it doesnt meen you have to raise the boost

Car runs good now just the ticking is annoying/scary whenever I hear it, I just get nervous LOL. That is the next job I am going to do and the only thing I have left to do is lifters, brakes and rotors, and timing belt in like 10,000 km

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back