The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Engine review

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1g8420a

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 19, 2011
Fort Riley, Kansas
I am going to receive my crate engine on Wednesday and, I plan to review it for the guys who choose to have a build done. I bought My engine built by DSM Graveyard. I know, I know alot of folks on here have hard feelings towards there business operations.. I on the other hand have had some good luck with them I will obviously like them even more if the product is better than I originally thought.

Stay tuned I will post Video of the packaging as well as an in depth look into there work and I will post the first start..:sneaky:

This should be good...
What are your goals for the motor? Boost etc.
Is this a OEM build or a Pefomance build?
Also interested to see what you got for your Dollar (Price paid vs parts list). I know our builds are more expensive then theirs, but then again, we know what were doing (friendly jab), and we have more parts / upgrades included. anyways I digress.

What "stage" did you get?

Did they send any documentation of tolerances etc? Id be interested to see what Bearings they used and what they are set to given the pourpose of your motor.

staying tuned, and hoping this goes well for you. gl :)

You may get free sand in the cylinders. The good news is, all the performance numbers are based on conjecture and assumption, so you have no expectations to live up to!

I'll Post a full video of it tomorrow night in the correct section. On the other hand how many guys on here have gotten a bad engine from them??

Usually.. its just a miracle that the part showed up. If it was in "as described" condition you won the jackpot.

The reviews weren't just from jealous "haterz" they are there to serve as a warning from history LOL

This should be good...
What are your goals for the motor? Boost etc.
Is this a OEM build or a Pefomance build?
Also interested to see what you got for your Dollar (Price paid vs parts list). I know our builds are more expensive then theirs, but then again, we know what were doing (friendly jab), and we have more parts / upgrades included. anyways I digress.

What "stage" did you get?

Did they send any documentation of tolerances etc? Id be interested to see what Bearings they used and what they are set to given the pourpose of your motor.

staying tuned, and hoping this goes well for you. gl :)

I am supposedly going to receive all the paper work including the tolerances with the motor we shall see. The goal is to have a GT35R eventually.. Street/autoX The stage I bought is, stock but, W/upgraded Pistons and rods @ Stock CR for boost. Cylinder Head with ARP Cam and head studs. Cam Studs I bought and will install. Stock Cams for now.(will upgrade them with turbo set up) comes with Melling Oil Pump ect. I asked for ACL Bearings btw but, I have no way to tell. I paid $2,800 W shipping fees included..

Ouch.. So it seems like you have purchased a stock 420a.

FYI (And there is a few threads about this) Their "Upgraded pistons".. as in their "hyper what ever" pistons, those wont hold up any better then stock... iirc from the posts, they are aftermarket stockers with some sort of coating? Not the same as forged. This will limit your power output..

Stock CR for boost? Is it stock CR or the typical CR for boost?

IMO you should go with a Billet tubo , faster spool and same if not better power output. IMO thats the future.. i wouldnt waste cash on the
gt35r. granted, they make power, but so will a billet one, a smaller billet one, Same power,quicker spool , who can complain!

I know you can go lower as far as CR for boost but I don't want to go too low on CR.. 9:1 is what the target CR is set at.. Hypereutectic is supposedly ok according to wiki. before I made the decision to do so I went and read this article Hypereutectic piston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I am definitely not an expert but, I like to make more informed decisions when it comes to spending more than a grand.

Its the rods id worry ab out, not the pistons. Thats the major weak point when boosting

Its the rods id worry ab out, not the pistons. Thats the major weak point when boosting

Ya That has me worried a bit.. I can't say the build is going to be the best in the world I failed miserably with my last build so I figured I'd let some one else do the work.. I had a rod knocking after I bought Eagle rods and wiesco pistons so I had to save a bit of cash this time around I will eventually have the forged stuff put in.. I may try again after I buy a used block.. but this for now is just keeping it basic until I can afford to do more.. not to mention I am moving in a month to Kansas from ca. I still have the rods the pistons I sold locally.

You may get free sand in the cylinders. The good news is, all the performance numbers are based on conjecture and assumption, so you have no expectations to live up to!
(bullett is staying out of it for now. His opinions are based in real life experiences as seen first hand and dealt with first hand).

I really do hope you do fine. Good luck.

MB

Well, on the build you say you "failed" at, i would bet the problem was a poorly machined crank. Assuming your clearances and oil pressure were ok. I had a reputable shop fail really bad and i had rod knock after 150 miles. I was PISSED. Seriously fn in a rage. They took the engine back, put in a new crank, and acl coated bearings rod and main and so far so good. The 420a in NA form, completely stock is one of the most dependable engines ive ever owned. But if you plan on beating on it, go overboard on every component and you will be happy.
I wish you the best of luck bud, just double check what brand rods youre getting before you up the boost past 10psi or so.

I dont have much faith in the dsm graveyard motors, dont get me wrong i hope it works out for you, just hard for a stock motor to put up with that size of a turbo, i will defintly be staying up to date with this!
If/when it blows you better post some good pictures :p

I had the same issues with a local machine shop. Blessing in disguise for me tho. Wish you luck.. staying tuned.

Bullet, is your experience posted somewhere?

I'm hoping early next yr to have dyno results of our 2.4 and 2.0 builds. to give us some sort of bench mark and set us apart :)

I see a lot of extra stuff if your goal is a teensy GT35, but that's just me. :)

I'll Post a full video of it tomorrow night in the correct section. On the other hand how many guys on here have gotten a bad engine from them??

Depends what you consider bad, I had to run a tap through every hole in my block and blow all sand out of the oil passages. I bought a short block when they first started up. The engine only has about 3,000 miles on it at the moment. Runs fine but seems like it might have piston slap, but compression is still fine. I also never received the bearings and arp hardware that I requested.

I'm still confused why you paid to have a stock short block built for a boosted application, its only an extra ~400 more for forged parts over what they are offering you. If you don't want to fail at building engines, Step 1) Dont cheap out.

^ Agreed.. Cheap isnt an option really. Theres alot of stuff i dont see on their list at any stage.. seems like they just ad a few parts to make it a "stg 2 or 3".. No real improvemnts over stages other then forged... except price. To me sems like their stg 1 is really a stg 0, and their other stages are just basic bottoms, IE a stg 1 in my book.

^ Agreed.. Cheap isnt an option really. Theres alot of stuff i dont see on their list at any stage.. seems like they just ad a few parts to make it a "stg 2 or 3".. No real improvemnts over stages other then forged... except price. To me sems like their stg 1 is really a stg 0, and their other stages are just basic bottoms, IE a stg 1 in my book.

The key to getting people who don't understand engines to buy them is, add the word "Stage" and a number after it. The difference between Stage 1 and Stage 5 could only be rod bolts, but since its "Stage 5" they will pay $1,000 more.

Lol. yes, i agree, i want to change that when we get our page and services up and running publically. Im tired of these predator shops only offering 420a because its a "quick buck" and not actually wanting to support and further the platform, or even offer quality, they are all 4g6X specific, which is fine.. but don't branch out unless your good at it ya know.. my .02 on the whole thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol. yes, i agree, i want to change that when we get our page and services up and running publically. Im tired of these predator shops only offering 420a because its a "quick buck" and not actually wanting to support and further the platform, or even offer quality, they are all 4g6X specific, which is fine.. but don’t branch out unless your good at it ya know.. my .02 on the whole thing.

lmk when you are ready to expand, id be glad to help out, its about time you decide to do this! :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back