The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Engine Removal: How To.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96GST96

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 15, 2011
Gainesville, Florida
1995 4G63:

Just need a refresher on where to start, easiest way to and how to pull the engine. What do I need to unbolt pre-pull, how to do it, etc., Help would greatly be appreicated! Been out of the scene for over a year and having problems! Thanks!

P.S. Where are all motor mounts located on the car as well? :D

Like earlier stated make notes of all connectors, and I would take notes on a note pad or something as well for reference.

Drain fluids, and start unbolting just take your time.

On a 2g all of the connectors are color coded so its pretty hard to mess up. There is one mount next to your battery tray in front of it, one mount next to your timing cover and one in the front and rear.

Take the radiator and fans out after youve drained all of your fluids. Then undo your o2 housing from downpipe. Next take your exhaust mani off with turbo attached. Then remove I/c piping, throttle cable and throttle body elbow. Then loosen your p/s pump, a/c and alternator so you can get the accessory belts loose. Next put jackstands under the front and remove drivers tire so you can remove the crank pulley and pull the belts out. Next unplug electrical connections and tuck them away. Take the passenger tire off next and you will be removing both cv shafts out of the tranny and hubs (it takes a screwdriver in between the cv and trans and smacking the screwdriver hard with your Palm to pop it out of the trans)... look up jafromobile on youtube and he has a few vidoes on how to remove the trans and one on how to pull the motor

On a 2g there are three mounts on the transmission and one on the block itself on the timing cover side.

1995 4G63:

Just need a refresher on where to start, easiest way to and how to pull the engine. What do I need to unbolt pre-pull, how to do it, etc., Help would greatly be appreicated! Been out of the scene for over a year and having problems! Thanks!

Go to YouTube and type in jafromobile he has tons of videos about 2gs. Also there's like 2 or 3 videos of him pulling his engine. :thumb:

I have found it easiest to pull the motor out with the gearbox as one.

Must have tools for this job:

1. Blue painter's tape (Label connectors, hoses, and vacuum lines.)
2. Ziplock bags ( to label and organize bolts).
3. Sharpie
4. Beer (After the job is done of course)

Put all the bags in a box so you know where they are. If they are labeled, life will be very easy

Label everything even some of the bolts just so you have an easy time assembling everything and just disconnect every wire and the obvious stuff then hook up your hoist and unbolt the 4 engine mounts and should be on its way out.

Also dont forget to take the axels out

1995 4G63:

Just need a refresher on where to start,
Put the car on a lift.
easiest way to and how to pull the engine.
Set engine on sturdy table, and lift car off of engine/transmission assembly.
What do I need to unbolt pre-pull,
Everything that connects to the engine and transmission.
how to do it,
Right the first time.
etc., Help would greatly be appreicated! Been out of the scene for over a year and having problems!
Bring it to my shop, and pay me...
You're welcome.
One in front, one in back, and one on each side.

Like everyone said label all the connectors... The bolts I am not too worried about, a good friend of mine showed me the magic by taking me to a junk yard & paying $10 for about 50lbs of bolts off cars

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back