The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

engine rebuild help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsi6bolt

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 10, 2010
westminster, Colorado
So I got a 92 engine with a hundred miles for my 96 and wanna build it to another 350 HP with out stroking it so I'm going to knife my crank and go with the eagle rods, do I need to worry about the right size to look for? Than I'm gonna go with the wiesco pistons 85.5mm anything that I should have to worry about there? For the injectors I'm gonna go with the 750cc or the 880s. For the turbo I might just go with the big 16g or was thinkin of going with the Hx35. I have been told by many people that the dsmlink v3 light is something I should look into. And than the external wast gate but idk what brand but that is what I got so far so if anyone can help with some brands and parts I need It will help because this is my first dsm project thanks!:hellyeah:

When you say "another 350" do you mean to 550 BHP?
Knifing the crank is severe overkill for either goal..

Just 350 HP all together hopefully more. And should I do anything to the crank than?

stock internals will handle 350 hp just fine. your build is gonna be way over kill for the goal you have in mind. 350 hp that will stretch the 16g a little bit as well. just a thought

You don't need piston works, or "knifed cranks" for 350hp goal. The stock internal can handle it. Alot of people here has 350hp car, look at their set up and get some ideas.

The big 16g is streched at 350hp maybe a evo3 16g will suit you better, and a HX35 is overkill for 350hp goal. Internal gates are good for lower hp.

my list for you is first to last
-DO MAINTENCE FIRST!!! CAN'T EXPRESS ENOUGH.
then...
-Gauges: Boost, oil, A/F Wideband, EGT *monitor!! monitor!! monitor!!*
-SAFCII or DSMlink: tuning softwares
-Fuel upgrade: AFPR (adjustable fuel pressure regulator),550-750cc injectors, 190 pump?
then anything goes from here on out..

they do have a upgrade path for first timers like you & me
Tech Guide: 1G 4G63t Upgrades - DSMtuners

haha you're trying to run before you can crawl ROFL

What do you mean by its going to be a over kill for my goal?

Stock, untouched 7-bolt engines have made power in the 400's and there is even a stock 2G 7-bolt making 500whp using a GT30R variant turbo.

Overkill means you're spending money on engine parts that do not need to be upgraded to get to your goal.

The absolute best budget piston / rod setup for 2G 7-bolt owners would have to be the Evo VIII or IX piston / rod. It's a direct drop-in upgrade which is higher compression and more durable than stock.

Oh ya iv herd that's a good piston/rod set up but would it be an issue with my 6 bolt?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back