The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Engine problem - possibly seizing up!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91Bomb

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 15, 2003
US, New_Jersey
I had a little clattering noise since I changed the timing belts a couple moths ago that sounded like it could be a valve clattering, engine or balance shaft bearing going out etc. I also thought maybe 1 balance shaft wasn't lined up exactly although rear BS is definitely in phase. Anyway since car has 213K mi with original everything I wasn't too worried about a little noise but tonight it got much louder after running it hard and then engine shut off and something is seizing up becasue the tires chirped (m/t) as it shut down in 3rd or 4th gear while driving normal. Then even though battery is 100% good car didn't want to crank at all as if something was seizing up. After waiting awhile it did crank but just barely and then after waiting even longer it started and I drove it home 3-4 mi with the clattering which is much louder than it had been for prior 2 months. It's not super loud or horrendous sounding either but something is definitely wrong and felt lucky to make it home. Oil on stick looked good and no overheating with good coolant level and I just changed oil a few days ago which didn't have any metal in it. Where should I look first for problem?

Last edited:
I changed the tensioner using oem and everything looked good. Guess I will be taking a look at all timing marks later toady but I'm really suspecting a bearing going out somewhere or possibly transmission related? With engine idling and a mechanics stethoscope maybe I can hear where it's coming from, right? I really don't have experience with bearings going out so any tips on how to make a diagnosis is needed. Thx!

Last edited:
Can you pin point the noise better?

No, don't know where the sound is coming from yet but from inside car sounds like timing belt side of motor.

What concerns me is how the engine didn't seem to want to crank over at all as if something is seizing up.

Id look to the trans, not the motor. Listen to the sound while idli g. Does it change with clutch in and put in gear sitting still? In that situation and only then nothing in the trans will be moving. If you just rev in neutral lots of trans parts are still moving.

Does the chatter go away when you press in your clutch pedal, and come back when you let up off of it? If the noise stops when you step on the pedal, it might be your throw out bearing going out.

When rev-ing engine in neutral the clattering is there and basically the same while driving.

Does the chatter go away when you press in your clutch pedal, and come back when you let up off of it? If the noise stops when you step on the pedal, it might be your throw out bearing going out.

Actually it's usually the other way around. Normally if you depress the clutch pedal and hear a noise it is your TOB, because that it when it is heavily loaded with the pressure plate springs. When you release the clutch pedal almost all of the load is off the TOB and it is usually pretty quiet. If you have noise/chatter with the clutch out (pedal up) and still have a noise it's normally either transmission input shaft bearings or you can get some clutch noise, especially with an unsprung clutch disc.

If front balance shaft bearing turns out to be the whole problem should I just remove the BS belt and temporarily drive car? Or is it not that bad changing front BS bearing? Either way, if I get under there and can't find the problem guess I would have to remove BS belt just to see if clattering noise goes away to verify or rule out cause.

Last edited:

Edit:
Sounds like a rod bearing after watching a few youtube vids. I'm going to pull 1 plug wire at a time to see if noise goes away to help confirm it. Did a compression check yesterday and it was good and got same results as before doing t-belt job 2 mths ago. All timing marks still look good too. I'm going to drop oil pan and if it's a bad rod bearing and there's no metal in pan might just replace bearing if crankshaft isn't scored. I know a new bearing might spin right away but doubt I'm up for doing even a refresh by removing front case to drop crankshaft without taking cylinder head off. Any thoughts?

Here's videos of sound:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Sorry for the bump. But no one commented on these video clips and I'm stuck without a car until I can figure this out. I pulled 1 spark plug wire at a time and sound didn't change like it usually does if a rod bearing is bad. I also pulled valve cover and didn't notice anything wrong visually. Timing marks appear good too and sound definitely is loudest at top of motor. Need some help in Jersey if anyone's around becasue all the DSM shops I knew about are gone now :(

Found the problem! Spun rod bearing.

Bearing was almost completely intact and no metal to speak of in oil but some flakes in bottom of oil pan. Crankshaft journal is very slightly scored and can only feel it a little on finger nail test but is smooth to the touch. So it's less than perfect but will any imperfections definitely cause problems soon after or is it possible to go awhile without issues?

Because my plan right now is to just install a new bearing and have a few questions:

1) Should I do anything to journal like lightly sand it to make it smoother?

2) Is it hard to place top piece of new bearing in there correctly from bottom of motor with cylinder head on?

3) Do new bearings only go in 1 way and is it self explanatory? ( I have no experience at all with these). How do you prep new bearing before install?

4) Motor has 213k mi so do I use an oversize bearing or stock? Actually what should I buy and can I get only 1 becasue I really don't want to do all 4 being the other are tight right now. (Although other than trying to wiggle end caps by hand I don't know how to properly inspect + could use tips).

The reason I only want to replace this 1 bad one is since I don't have any experience if I start the car after doing all 4 and hear a noise I'll be thinking perhaps I didn't get another one in properly. Conversely If I replace this bad one only and hear noise then I'll know exactly what didn't work out.

Thanks for the help!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back