The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Engine Noise / Ticking, Knocking, Tapping MERGED

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric489

Probationary Member
Jul 14, 2004
Carson City, Nevada
All threads with vague titles regarding engine bay noises are now merged HERE.

If you honestly feel we can diagnose an internal engine problem from a poor description or low-quality video / audio sample, give it a shot.

I own a 1997 gst spyder and there is a ticking noise comming fron the engine. It comes and goes and it mostly sounds bad at idle. I have 97,000 miles on it and i change the oil regularly. I changed it about 2000 miles ago I need help to fix the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I highly doubt lifter tick is the problem, there's no way. Lifter tick, from what i have read, goes away typically as you accelerate into higher rpm's and is not nearly as loud as the noise i'm getting. It is a terrible sound, best I can describe it as is a sparking/electrical tick coming directly from the coil pack area. It is very loud until it is warm. When i accelerate it sounds like a sprinkler .. tick tick tick ha. It is driving me crazy and I really need to figure this out.

If any one could lead me in the right direction it would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
I have a weird ticking noise only after I press on the gas while decelerating. I stuck my ear on the valve cover and it doesn't sound like it is coming from inside the engine. Do you think it is injectors. I probly should tell you the car has been sitting for the past yr but I start it every week and I put new gas in every month i have done 2 oil changes one when i parked it and one like 4 months ago .the car is sitting because I changed all the interior and am doing body work while saving my pennies to start bolting stuff on. Also the engine was recently rebuilt by a guy who specializes in mitsubishi I only put 10000 km on it befor parking it
:thumb:

Try doing a small tune up like change your spark plugs, msd ignition wires, and factory OEM coilpack. please dont buy a cheap aftermarket coilpack like I did you will end up replacing it twice go OEM on that part. See if that will quiet things done good luck.

Yeah I just replaced the plugs. Plug wires and coilpack are next on the list. Hopefully that does quiet things down.

I have a speed determined, intermittent rattle, which sounds like it comes from the back of the car. I can only think of wheel bearings or rear differential that could be making it, unless it's actually coming from the front.. thing is though, it's hard to be under the car while driving to trace it down any better.

Sounds like beads in a blender. Something bust be bouncing around in an outer casing to make this high-pitched noise.

Anyone?? I'm thinking there are some loose pieces in the rear differential.

mine has new plugs and wires, if you change your pack and the noise goes away i might follow suite.

Grab a bottle of windex and spray you coil pack and sp wires see if the noise gets worse or if you can see arcing or "sparking", coil packs or wires could be leaking and arcing to ground againt your valve cover or intake.

Okay. I came home from work yesterday and my car sounded and ran fine. It sat for an hour and a half before I left again. When I started the car, there was a bad noise. I thought nothing of it right away then got worried when it wasnt going away. The noise is constant at idle and about 2k rpms. Above 2k rpms the noise goes away. The performance doesn't seem to be affected. I took the cam gear cover off, and there is a wear spot on the timing belt. I don't know what to think of this. Some input from you guys would help. See what you think.

Heres a video of the noise.

Bad engine noise - YouTube

The noise sounds similar to this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEt0piYkfLA

When I purchased my eclipse it had a mysterious rattle similar to yours,turned out that the rear balance shaft had spun its bearing and was rattling around in the bearing hole..Everything seemed fine no power loss or anything just a loud internal rattle sound.Hope for your sake you have the bse kit installed.Remove the oil pan and give it a look.

Pull the spark plugs one by one and see if the noise changes or quiets in that cylinder. If it is a rod bearing you should hear a audible change. It does sound like a bearing of some sort weather it's a balance shaft, or rod. It's hard to tell in that short a video. Drain the oil, look for flakes, and pull the pan. That's the only way to properly diagnose and fix the problem.

Alright. I will mess with it before my first class tomorrow. I'll see what I can find out. I might throw up a longer video too. Thanks. Oh and I should probably add that today I found out that I was running such low oil that it was almost not registering on the dipstick. So I threw in a couple quarts. Could that be what started all this? Just a possibility?

Alright. I will mess with it before my first class tomorrow. I'll see what I can find out. I might throw up a longer video too. Thanks. Oh and I should probably add that today I found out that I was running such low oil that it was almost not registering on the dipstick. So I threw in a couple quarts. Could that be what started all this? Just a possibility?

Thats what happened to the car i bought! friend didnt tighten oil filter enough dropped a couple quarts of oil and bearing was spun, so yeah more than a possibility.

Ya see. I don't know enough about cars and especially these cars to know what i am looking at in the engine bay. I also don't know how to diagnos anything. Is this car safe to drive.

At firestone now. Let's see what they can find out.

Okay here's the deal. My car is running like a dream, except the boost leak that makes the car sputter. (I'm assuming it's a boost leak). I took the car yesterday to firestone and they told me my tensioner was bad. They gave me a $700 dollar quote then I immediately called the Mitsubishi dealer down the street and got it done for $500. It took less than two days to get it in and out. I'm very happy. Hopefully my videos and end results will help people with the same noise. I got lucky, my first thought when hearing the knocking was that it was internal. It was just a tensioner and she's back on the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, figure I'll throw in here and see what happens.

Recently had to build a new engine, and have just hit 1000 miles on it. Noticed a ticking from early on that I, and the shop that put it all together, figured was just lifter tick. I'm of course concerned though that it might be something else, and after seeing so many tales of rod knock, thought I should see what others think.

I have a video posted -> 4G63 Noises - Lifter Tick? Rod Knock?! - YouTube

The sound seems to be the same warm or cold at idle, and gets faster/a bit louder as I rev it. It sounds like it's coming from the back side of the valve cover or head. When cruising, I've noticed it seems to pick up a bit in the 2500-3000 rpm range, then drop off a bit.

I disabled one cylinder at a time and did not hear any difference as I did this, even reving it a bit. I also took out all the spark plugs, pushed down on each piston, and felt no movement. Am I just overreacting to lifter tick or other minor noises? Thanks for any input.

Well, figure I'll throw in here and see what happens.

Recently had to build a new engine, and have just hit 1000 miles on it. Noticed a ticking from early on that I, and the shop that put it all together, figured was just lifter tick. I'm of course concerned though that it might be something else, and after seeing so many tales of rod knock, thought I should see what others think.

I have a video posted -> 4G63 Noises - Lifter Tick? Rod Knock?! - YouTube

The sound seems to be the same warm or cold at idle, and gets faster/a bit louder as I rev it. It sounds like it's coming from the back side of the valve cover or head. When cruising, I've noticed it seems to pick up a bit in the 2500-3000 rpm range, then drop off a bit.

I disabled one cylinder at a time and did not hear any difference as I did this, even reving it a bit. I also took out all the spark plugs, pushed down on each piston, and felt no movement. Am I just overreacting to lifter tick or other minor noises? Thanks for any input.

That sounds like very light rod knock to me. I could be wrong but the fact that your engine is warmed up and you still have that kind of noise makes me think it isn't lifter tick, that usually goes away after a few mins of running. :/

it sounds like a lifter tick to me. there are many ways to solve the issue. does the noise occur only at start and low idle? does it eventually go away? there are many oil additives you can use to free things up. just be careful on what you will be using. good luck

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back