The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

engine need to be turned?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It doesnt mention doing this on any boost leak tester instructional. Is this just with our cars? Can I avoid overlap with just removng the oil cap? Im pushing only 5psi through it because i put it on stock boost level.

Last edited:
Every engine is different (especially T vs NT) but you don't want any engine sitting in any valve overlap area, if it has one, or your BLT pressure will just go through the intake valves and right out the exhaust. That area on our turbo engine is from 21*BTDC to 15* ATDC. Most of the time it won't matter which side of the overlap area you are on unless you have bad leaking valve seals or rings. And if you have those you will see other bigger problems anyway.

Keep in mind the camshafts rotate at half the crank speed. So you can just visually set the camshaft sprocket hole more than half the degree value I mentioned for the crank and you will be good (ie. crank > 15* ATDC is camshaft > 7.5* ATC as measured on the camshaft sprocket.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back