The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Engine miss

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

as3958

Probationary Member
Apr 17, 2012
Fenton, Missouri
After a couple of miles of driving my car will start missing or maybe just be going in what seems like limp mode. After initial start up it will idle fine all day long and drive fine until it goes into this mode. At first i thought it may be the ICM or ECU. so switch them out with good ones and problem persisted. I will be hauling it to my garage with all the good tools later today to run a compression test and checking resistance on the coil pack. Have any of you come across this problem or know of any other tests i should be running thanks

oh yeah thanks. the light will come on and off. the light came up and i was driving to all the autoparts places and none had an obd-I so i was going to go to a shop and the light went off. (after the car sat at idle at all the autoparts places) the miss went away for a mile then came back. the light didnt come on again.

Personally the compression numbers although are solid all the way across sound a bit low.... I feel like I have read something about the service level being like 130-140... Don't quote me on that yet. I am going to look up those numbers.

ah HA! I found the link I was looking for. The service limit for the 1G car is going to be 121. You sir are right on that border. Not that it is truly a bad thing but one possibility is that your rings are getting worn out.

Here's the link I was mentioning for additional reading and testing procedures. I am not saying that this is CAUSING your miss, but could be a possibly related item...

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/338152-compression-leak-down-testing.html

As far as your car having a miss and the code being for an injector, I recently had an issue where I could drive my car around just fine for 30 minutes until the car got really hot. Then I would loose a cylinder completely. It turned out that one of my injectors completely shutdown when hot. When cold, it operated just fine. I was only able to identify which one at the time by using a screwdriver to the end of each injector feeling the "pulses" in the injector until, I came to the one that I felt nothing on. Replaced all the injectors with the 660's I had laying around waiting to be installed and problem was solved. you may have a similar issue.

I could drive my car around just fine for 30 minutes until the car got really hot. Then I would loose a cylinder completely.

that was my exact problem. i tested the resistance of the injectors and all but one (on the cylinder we just determined to be the dead cylinder just before) were running right around 3 ohms and the bad one was at 16 ohms. going to go to a local shop and pick up one injector for now. that should solve the problem.

Mine did this and it was my transistor. It sounds just like a subaru. Luckily for me the plug came out but your problem sounds like it might be bad. Some people say they are fine when they are cold but bad when they are warm. What I would do it warm it up to where it misses and then pull the plug wires to here which ones are sparking, if it is only 1 and 4 then that is probably your transistor.

Last edited:
I would agree with you if you had more than one cylinder that was causing the problem. If you had two cylinders not firing, I would think that possibly the coil pack or the transistor may be the issue. Being as this is only effecting one cylinder, I usually would be something more related to that particular cylinder directly ie. Pugs, wire, injector, etc.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back