The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Engine makes abnormal knock sound.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMTyson

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 9, 2010
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Heres a youtube video of the sound. It started after the first time I hit the 2 step after getting my exhaust/turbo setuo put back together. I was trying to see how much boost it would build compared to my old turbine housing with a cracked WG hole.

Let me know what you think it is.

Engine sound. Not good. Wtf - YouTube

What cams, and valve springs are installed?

I could hear a "Tink", sounds like a ball bearing hitting the side of the block.

Or a follower slamming back into the cam.

DKS 272s, supertech dual springs and titanium retainers.

I pulled the valve cover and everything looked normal. All the followers were where they were supposed to be, i turned the motor over by hand and nothing was binding up..

Idk whats going on.

I do know that the car needs some fresh gas, the gas that is in there is old and I'm sure it has lost some octane over time. I'm gonna go get 5 gallons of some 93 and see what happens.

The next thing I'm going to do is drain the oil, check for flakes. Pull the oil pan and check each rod to see if there's any play.

Is the VC still off?

Look at each HLA close, look for one that has come apart, the crimp cap would be loose and lift up with almost no effort.

I'll check that tomorrow just to be sure.

I filled the tank up with 4.5 gallons of 93oct and it hasn't made any more knocking sounds. I tried to recreate the same sound on the video, and failed miserably haha.

I also switched to NGK BR7ES gapped at .030 from BPR7ES gapped at .028. It really is a night and day difference on my car. The engine runs so much smoother(especially in boost), seems to build boost faster, and I don't get any knock around 6000rpm anymore. Ever since I swapped to the new cylinder head, which I think has been milled as many times as possible, I would randomly get anywhere from 3-6* of knock retard at WOT no matter how much I dropped the timing cells.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back