The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A Engine light

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProdiGi98

Probationary Member
Apr 15, 2021
Florida
Ok so I have a 99 gs with a 420a motor. Which I swap for a refurbished one. 2 years ago. I've had the car for 3. Sense the beginning I've had a engine code for a confirmed misfire. And 4 pending codes for each cylinder. I have done basic tune up and changed all my fluids. Even changed the ecu at one point. When I blew the motor it came with thats when I got the refurbished motor. And I continue to still have these codes I have changed about 90% of sensors you could think of and fixed a few parts of the wiring however the codes are still there you can read the codes off the car but in terms of communication you won't get much out of it. It happened with both the old ECU and the next one I placed in. Nothing I've done has worked so far so maybe anyone here can help me.

I have a 99 gs with a 420a motor. I've had for 3 years along with certain issues. Recently in the past month when I raise the rpm past 4 my car started to hiccup or sorta backfire. And it only have 4 rpm and up, it doesn't happen when I release the gas only when I have my foot on the gas. I have no leaks. Or vacuum leaks. And my sensors on the intake are changed. Nothing comes up on the scanner for any sensor issues so im unsure what it could be.

Yes, I reset them and as I'm driving the light will flash indicating I'm having a misfire at that moment however, I don't feel a misfire even at idle. All sparkplug, wires and coilpack have been changed maybe 5 times. I also changed the fuel pump, regulator and injectors,

New crankshaft position sensor? New camshaft position sensor? Have you verified proper timing?

You're not running an MSD coil pack are you? Those things are garbage. Also what's your plug gap? It shouldn't be bigger than 0.046" on the stock ignition system. If it's too big, it won't misfire at idle but will under heavy load.

Crankshaft yes. Camshaft yes, timing yes, and coilpack are Denson from autozone. Gap are within specs. On stock had to check everytime I put news ones in I think these are my 3rd sets

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I've checked what was recommended based on what you sent. I got nothing. Its all the same

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back