The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Engine Identification

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipsyco

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 19, 2011
Somewhere in, Central_America
I´ll make this short I have and eclipse gst, build in march 95! How can tell what kind of engine I have early 95 or later 95-96 engine i know the differences between the the engines but my real question is how can I tell what is it without having to tear apart the whole thing.
Reason: I´m changing T-belt.

I´ll make this short I have and eclipse gst, build in march 95! How can tell what kind of engine I have early 95 or later 95-96 engine i know the differences between the the engines but my real question is how can I tell what is it without having to tear apart the whole thing.
Reason: I´m changing T-belt.

There are no differences between 95 and 96

Early 95's were produced in 1994. So your car is not an early 95, but thats not what matters. The only difference is the timing belt tensioner, which was revised in August 95. But that doesn't even matter considering you can use the later model tensioner. I'm personally using a later model tensioner on my 95 and have had no problems. You can get the earlier style tensioner if you want, but if you ask me, there's a reason Mitsubishi revised the design and I don't want to find out why.

Basically that is my main concern but if you're sure that's there is no problem using a later version tensioner I'll go ahead and do that plus is cheaper I don't get it tho why on maperformance or jnztuning they have separated tabs for it?

Basically that is my main concern but if you're sure that's there is no problem using a later version tensioner I'll go ahead and do that plus is cheaper I don't get it tho why on maperformance or jnztuning they have separated tabs for it?

Maybe they don't know they're interchangeable?

But I'm positive you won't have an issue. Here's the early tensioner versus the later:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Installed on my 95:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

same here. I have an early 95 (may). I am using the revised tensioner without any problems.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back