The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

engine build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrs187

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2011
sutherland, Iowa
ok so i spun a rod bearing on tuesday so looks like i get to rebuild it now. any input would be great. i want this motor to hold up to as much boost as i can possibly put to it. so everything is going to be new but i cant decide what to start with. money is not really an object on this build.

im going to run a garret 25g turbo. im thinking premium fuel. im not to sure on where i want to be for horse power yet but im searching for a awd so i can convert this one over. its a 94 talon

I think all he meant was you're not going to get an exact part list here. Hence where research comes into play. If you ask about specific parts or specs on those parts we can give a more direct answer. The question at hand is very vague, "so everything is going to be new but i cant decide what to start with." Start with the bottom end and work your way up. We are happy to help but give us a little direction :)

I would highly reccomend you buy a book called "BUILDING A MAX-PERFORMANCE
4G63" and read it, it is a great book on exactly how to and what the best ways to build your motor for your power goals, it is a great book for any reader no matter how much experience you have with these..Hope this helps

ok so i spun a rod bearing on tuesday so looks like i get to rebuild it now. any input would be great. i want this motor to hold up to as much boost as i can possibly put to it. so everything is going to be new but i cant decide what to start with. money is not really an object on this build.

Just remeber build it once and build it right! Good luck:p

Now were getting somewhere ok so I have my rods picked out I'm going to go with eagle. I found a new crank but haven't heard much on the brand or anything so if anyone has heard of "TOP LINE" are they any good? I will be looking for this book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1932494626/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1321617342&sr=8-1

There is the book. Read it cover to cover before you get started on your rebuild. There are parts of the introduction you can skip, like how to find a turbo car in good condition. There is a lot of good info in this book.

An AWD swap is very involved, it can be done, but it may be easier to find an AWD shell and put your fresh motor in it rather then go from FWD to AWD. Unless you do all the swap work yourself, it can also get very expensive. You can more than likely find a clean AWD shell for less then a grand.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

ok so i bought that book but im waiting for it in the mail. so while im waiting for it i may have a few questions on this. i tore the motor down on it. there was no balance shafts in this motor. im thinking that is probably what caused this to happen. there was aluminum foil along with gorilla glue covering some hole up on the oil pump? not sure what that was all about but whats done is done.

ok so i bought that book but im waiting for it in the mail. so while im waiting for it i may have a few questions on this. i tore the motor down on it. there was no balance shafts in this motor. im thinking that is probably what caused this to happen. there was aluminum foil along with gorilla glue covering some hole up on the oil pump? not sure what that was all about but whats done is done.

Post pics of what you found on the tear down.

I would polish the journal with some emery paper and blow some bearings back in it. If the journal isnt out of round, it may still be salvageable. Ive done it several times on SR20's. Whats the worst that can happen? You might be out a couple bucks on bearings?

Well lets go back to fuel, turbo, hp goals..As asked in post #1 please..

Then..I suggest hitting up CL..I have seen a few shells in Iowa that would be great for an awd swap..

We've got a ton of supporting vendors that frequent this site. You can go up to the red bar and where is says "marketplace" scroll down to "DSMtuners Supporting Vendors". That will take you to a page with a ton of links to where you can browse any kind of parts you can think of. Eagle H beams and Wiseco pistons are a pretty common bottom end. Although, 6bolt rods and 2g pistons can support 500+ horse. These motors are very strong with factory internals and are proven many times over on here for putting up really good numbers.

Im not real familiar with a "25g" so I cant give any perspective in that regard. My best advice would be to browse through some of these guys profiles http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dynosheets.php and get an idea on which parts work well with others. Find a power goal you'd like to get close to and just read some members cars info and take notes and parts research..

Eagle is a good choice for rods, I would actually look into a rotating assembly from them, or have your crank turned and get acl or king bearings....good head gasket oem or cometic...arp head studs...and a decent valve train set up, and of course tuning software, fuel system, and clutch set up

Message me as I am parting out a 91 and have slot of what you need

yeah i want to make it all wheel drive

I hope you are REAL good at cutting and welding sheet metal. This is not a bolt on like a 2g. You literally have to cut the inner fender wells, frame rails, rear floor and trunk pan out and weld the parts in from an awd. It's a ton of work. WAY easier to buy a awd shell.

Up to a good start so far. A forged setup is never a bad thing, build it forged it will take whatever you throw at it whether it be sooner or later down the road. But your power goals is what effects every decision on a build. Fuel, turbo, tuning, exhaust, clutch, intake, cams, rods, pistons, crank, fasteners, etc. , all are set based on a specific power goal. No need to overshoot and waste money that could have been spent elsewhere. Give us a goal and we will help you decide what would be needed.

IMO if you are gonna build it and money doesn't matter then go with the best u can get. eagle crank would be better then topline. manley turbo tuff rods are alot stronger then standard eagle h-beams. and as for pistons id go CP, wisecoHD, or JEracing. as for the AWD if u have the money dont turn ## fwd into an awd. just find a diff AWD shell to put your new motor in. alot easier and they are pretty easy to find around 1k as just a roller. GL with ## build and look forward to seeing what you end up doing. oh and btw u mighta just waited to long. u missed black friday deals on this stuff! LOL. when I did my build I ended up getting an eagle/CP stroker setup with acl race bearings (mains and rods) and arp main studs for like 1480 all together shipped to my door last black friday!. it was awesome :D RSP FTW

if i could find someone around here that has a awd shell i would do that. the one i did find was rolled and it still isnt for sale. as for what im keeping and getting rid of is im keeping my block and head. everything else is gone. i think them evo pistons are still good but i want all new. im hooked up with nopi as a retail seller for there parts. so with that being said im checking out the crower crank they have but not sure if it will fit since it says its for the 03 evo with the 4g63 with 7 bolt. for the hp range im wanting between 450-500 if it is do able. and how do i post pictures on here?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back