The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Engine blown, need help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RowdyVin

Probationary Member
Apr 23, 2002
Abilene_Texas
Ok, God doesnt like me or anything i drive. I have a 92' Talon 2.0L N/T with a few little mods (cut air can, custom exhaust, plugs and wires...) It WAS my daily driver. I just spent the past three months getting the tranny rebuilt, and then it would start slipping, and they would rebuild it, and it would slip..... so on and so on. the tranny finally started working well about a month and a half ago. Ok, so i threw an AC belt last week about thursday, and so friday i had the belts relpaced, my buddy the mechanic said the harmonic dampner was out too, so he replaced that @ $120... When i pick the car up friday evening, it had some injector noise. Sounded like rocks in the head, it was really bad when the motor was under load. I took it back to him that evening, and he dismissed it as bad gas... More in the next post

Anyways, i drove the car lightly friday, saturday, and earlier today (Sun). I had noticed drasticly reduced accelleration. i blamed the tranny, and decided to have the tranny guys to look at it soon. I was about a half mile from my destination, and i saw a puff of steam come from under the hood, i looked down and the temp was edging up.... as i turned into the drive, the thing started missing and died... i could smell coolant, and oil.... i knew it was blow. now i have a problem, i think the auot tranny is bad, so i have found a m/t and 2.0 like mine in a laser, and need help on the swap... i want to go through both the tranny and the motor and freshen them up, but im not sure what i might need... i know bearing and a gasket set for the motor, and im going to check out the clutch and see how it looks. i have a few questions though... does the m/t have a controller, and will my a/t ECU still run my motor ok... from what i gather the TCU and ECU are seperate and rarely communicating units, is that right? how bad is this engine/tranny swap? would i be wiser to keep the a/t?:confused: so many questions... i have the manual and am reading away... email me at [email protected] or [email protected] my aim is rowdy112462 thanks... ill keep ya'll posted

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back