1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Engine assembly do's and dont's?

Posted by TSI_too_slow, Sep 16, 2019

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. TSI_too_slow

TSI_too_slow Probationary Member

Joined Mar 1, 2019
    Camden, Indiana
    Hey guys, my name is Jake. ive yet to actually build my profile. My question that I briefly looked for the answer to is, im assembling my first actual rebuild. 7 bolt in a 97 tsi. Evo swapped the factory pistons, already had the block honed, head and block checked. before I actually install the pistons and get the ball rolling is there any major do's or donts during assembly?

Jake

Street Build 203  7

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. donniekak

donniekak DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 23, 2008
    Surprise, Arizona
    Measure everything.

I’ll bet money the bores aren’t straight, and neither are the block deck or head.

Street Build 3K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  3. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    Clean, clean and clean again. It cannot be too sterile. Use brake parts cleaner on the crankshaft to clean out the dead end oil journals on the rod throws....you will have peace of mind.
    https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/pull-your-balls-to-properly-clean-your-crank.472402/

If I am checking a clearance or ring gap or ANYTHING, I write it down.......
    https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/generic-engine-and-head-build-spec-sheets.522646/

Make sure to check ring end gaps and crankshaft end play along with the normal checks of clearances. You will see all of the things I write down and check during my builds on my generic build sheets.
    Enjoy your build, but take your time and be super clean! :thumb:
    Marty

Street Build 3K  26

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM

249  13

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

359  17

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 515  4

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 5K  11  25

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.620 @ 108.460 · 1G DSM
  4. TSI_too_slow

Joined Mar 1, 2019
    Camden, Indiana
    @donniekak block and head are good. Those were first steps when I got it down to its bare block. Machine shop checked head and block when honing the connecting rods to make sure diameters were up to par.
    @1990TSIAWDTALON much appreciated. Im still writing everything down. In my search for answers before posting I did see a Blueprint with all the measurements. im comparing mine ive got to whats listed on that sheet. Thanks for the input guys!

Street Build 203  7

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. donniekak

donniekak DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 23, 2008
    Surprise, Arizona
    I’ve never seen a used 4g with a flat deck and head.

Street Build 3K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  6. TSI_too_slow

Joined Mar 1, 2019
    Camden, Indiana
    @donniekak understood, I was implying that I had them checked and resurfaced, not that they came off the vehicle and were fine as is.

Street Build 203  7

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  7. donniekak

donniekak DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 23, 2008
    Surprise, Arizona
    That makes a lot more sense.

Lots of shops will just toss a straightedge on it and use a .002”-.003” feeler gauge for a go/no go.

Street Build 3K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM