The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

emissions removal question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWDPSI

15+ Year Contributor
May 14, 2003
Long Island, New_York
hi,

My question is that i removed all the emissions like taboo speed shop says but there is one line that comes off of the firewall that went into the evap canister. It is the only metal line that comes off of the fire wall that connects into a hose and goes into the evap canister. It is a greenish metal line and there are like 3 or 4 other lines that are the same that are on the firewall which branch out along the sides of the engine bay toward the bottom.
My first question is; is this the fuel tank breather line? If if is I have been reading some people say to plug it others say just leave it open or put a mini filter to it. I just want to know what i should do. Taboo doesnt mention this line at all can someone let me know what the best thing to do it. Im removing the emissions to solve mystery vaccum leak so i dont want to have to have a leak again because i didnt plug something i should have.

thanks
scott

The hose that goes from the firewall to the charcoal cannister is the gas tank vapor purge line. Do not plug this! It's there so that when the temperature changes, the gas tank can purge the vapors out.

You can just vent the hose, don't be surprised if it smells a little gassy.

yeah, I dont liek the fumes, that is why I pluged it. I have seen no performance side effects, only thing is if I go from a full tank to empty, it somethines has a lot of suction when I take the gas cap off

ok so here is the new problem. I understand why i need this line however is it more dangerous to have vapor build ups in the tank and the line capped or is it more dangerous to leave the line open and let the gas fumes go into the engine bay. I m,ean if there are any sparks then wont that ignite the fumes. I know that the gas fumes are flamable.

If anyone knows any advice would be helpful

thanks
scott

I haven't really thought about his or even looked at this. But couldn't a person just take that line and somehow vent it outside of the engine bay. Heck you removed all other emmission items. What are a few more fumes going to do. ;)

ive had my fuel tank breather hose run on the backside of the sub frame ( in between the subframe and firewall) i dont smell gas, and its not cause'n any harm. Dont plug it up..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back