The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Electrical Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh408

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 29, 2011
Fairfield, California
I bought a 98 GSX. All the mods are my profile. So every time I turn the key to the on position the ignition (moteur) fuse instantly blows. So far whats been done was the wires were all traced up until the center console (haven't traced all those yet) the ECU is fine. I thought there's was success when we connected 2 pins in the ignition switch connector using electrical wire and it didn't blow a fuse so we thought it was the ignition switch so it was replaced yet still blew the ignition fuse instantly when the key goes to the on position and the fuse only blows when the key is in the "on" position. We took out all the relays and fuses under the dash yet it still kept blowing the fuse. The motor was replaced my the dealership and our theory is that when mitsubishi put the new motor in they pinched a wire but i would like to check everything else before pulling the motor. There are 2 gauges (boost and I believe it's an air fuel ratio gauge), and a turbo timer. Does anyone know what can be the cause of this? Or anything else I should check?

Last edited:
ok, I'm going to pull up a wiring diagram for your car. It is defiately a dead short somewhere in your wiring, I might be able to help you isolate which wire is giving you problems. A quick question though, is it auto or manual trans? and does it have anti theft or not?

And what fuse is it? Meaning, what is the fuse number? Location? and amp rating?

ok, I'm going to pull up a wiring diagram for your car. It is defiately a dead short somewhere in your wiring, I might be able to help you isolate which wire is giving you problems. A quick question though, is it auto or manual trans? and does it have anti theft or not?

And what fuse is it? Meaning, what is the fuse number? Location? and amp rating?

It's a manual transmission, I don't know the fuse number but it's a 30a fuse located in the fuse box under the hood and the car has anti theft

I can't think of anything specific you should check but you could start disconnecting wire connectors at sensors and anything else you can find to try and eliminate things one by one. Not the best way to do it but it has worked for me in the past.

+1 on the dead short. The amperage it's pulling must be very high to blow it so easy. As mentioned a bad capacitor could be a problem here so have you had your starter checked out? Also did the dealership mess with the turbo timer at all? Its something in the line from key to ignition. If you pulled fuses and it started fine at all I'd think your not getting a dead short from your starter to battery and if it was the capacitor it should have acted up regardless. So I'd recommend getting the wiring diagram and if you can track down all the literature for the turbo timer and go over every wire. If you want to find this you should be very methodical and track down every wire and keep notes. That's how the pros get it done. Keep us posted. And if you need help reading a wiring diagram just ask. They can be intimidating.

I figured it would be a dead short and I am not sure if the dealer tinkered with the turbo timer or not, I wasn't there. But when all relays were pulled it still instantly blew, I was more curious as to if anyone knew a common place to check for a pinched wire somewhere.

alright, i have two theorys here but I am not 100 percent what fuse you are indicating, is it the engine fuse or the ignition fusible link. Both are 30 amp. if its the engine fuse then possible causes are as follows; alternator, faulty fuel injector, faulty ignition coil, shorted O2 sensor heater circuit, or a shorted wire that goes to any one of these circuts. A thing to try is to remove the Automatic shutdown relay (ASD) and then see if the fuse blows. If it doesnt then it is one of those things. You could also disconnect all of the injectors and ignition coil, alternator wire (small ones) and O2 sensors and with the switch on start plugging them in one by one, once the fuse blows then you know where the problem is. If it blows when everything is disconnected then its in the wiring to one of those circuits.

Update

Checked Starter
All power wires
Ignition switch
Turbo timer was removed
Pulled all fuses and relays Even under the steering column 
Checked the ECU
Checked the Mfi/MPI relay and checked for continuity there too. 
Checked the accessory switch wire
Checked continuity
Checked the battery to make sure it's getting 12v 
Checked behind the ECU to make sure nothing was pinched and still instantly blows the fuse even without the ECU connected 

Finally found a very small exposed wire which was touch the chassis, E-Tapes it up, car starts and everything. No more blowing fuses. Thanks for everyone's help.

i know this is several months old, but i'm having the same kind of problem in my 99. where was the small exposed wire at?

i know this is several months old, but i'm having the same kind of problem in my 99. where was the small exposed wire at?

Sorry for the late response

Under the Steering column wasn't far off from the ignition switch. Traced the ignition switch wires like 2 feet of wire later it was found grounding itself to the chassis

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back