The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Electric Cutout Custom Switch Wiring Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greekgodchaos

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 4, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
So I got an electric cutout off ebay that goes to a momentary toggle switch to open/close it up, but I want to wire it up to an on/off style switch so I can just push it down and have the motor stop on its own once it fully opens or closes. Is there a way I can go about doing this with some wiring witchcraft?

The beauty of electronics is that anything is possible, however, just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.

There are circuit timers that can be added to do what you are after, but probably at the expense of reliability. More connections = more chance for a broken/loose connector.

Hook up the cutout to a 12v source and try the open and close operation. See if the speed is objectionable.

Not to sidetrack your thread OP but I've always been interested in a nitrous style rpm window and or full throttle actuated cutout. I'm just not smart enough in electronics, haha! Good luck though.

You could look into current limited switches. Once the motor reaches fully open or closed the current would spike, and when the switch sees that, it shuts the switch off. Down side is if the wiring isnt up to snuff, or it gets something lodged in there, you could see current spikes through normal operation.

Nice part is generally you can over-ride the current limit nature by holding the button down (tho I would make sure its not obstructed before doing so). Much like certain kinds of window switches operate.

Other options would be pulse timers, but that's complicated and a lot more hardware generally.

If you hold them open or closed any more than JUST to get it closed or open, the gears will strip out. We have ran them on our Camaro's and my red DSM, all different brands, all same results if you lay on the switch just a bit too long. Word to the wise.

There are vacuum operated exuast cutouts on the market that open when you loose vacuum, like when you start to boost.
I have not yet had the chance to try one yet but the idea sounds interesting.
Possibly someone else has tried this setup and will chime in.

Vacuum operated could work, but that involves plumbing and another potential leak point. But you could wire a vsv valve (think stock fuel pressure or boost control solenoid) to have it on or off at your liking.

Might also look into noweeds exhaust cutouts (LINK), but they're SPENDY.

You could look into current limited switches. Once the motor reaches fully open or closed the current would spike, and when the switch sees that, it shuts the switch off. Down side is if the wiring isnt up to snuff, or it gets something lodged in there, you could see current spikes through normal operation.

Nice part is generally you can over-ride the current limit nature by holding the button down (tho I would make sure its not obstructed before doing so). Much like certain kinds of window switches operate.

Other options would be pulse timers, but that's complicated and a lot more hardware generally.

Im having a hard time finding a CLS for this application. Would you happen to know whereabouts I could find one? This so far sounds like it could be my best option.

Vacuum operated could work, but that involves plumbing and another potential leak point. But you could wire a vsv valve (think stock fuel pressure or boost control solenoid) to have it on or off at your liking.

Might also look into noweeds exhaust cutouts (LINK), but they're SPENDY.

I am actually installing one of these right after the cutout and cutting down the flapper to allow airflow to pass through with little restriction for sound purposes. Keep it stealthy until ya step on it, then RAWR.

Usually you will have to wire up the limiter with a latched switch or the like. Looks like an easier way may be a contact switch on the closing and opening of the cutout, but once again, That's a lot of wiring.

Might even try to use a stock 1g drivers window switch (or 2) since they have the auto off function for the down direction, or at least look at its design operation.

The schematic if anyone is curious.

Attachments

• Snap16.jpg
    Snap16.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 98
Limit switches would work but, really, if you just listen, you will know when it is open and when it is closed. Just laying on the switch is the thing that is hard on them.

It might be worth adding that the switch I want to use is the Power/Eco button from an automatic. I already have it wired to my EBC and some red footwell lights, but I want to be able to open/close the exhaust flapper with that as well. Power=open, Eco=closed. First to post up with a wiring diagram to achieve this gets PayPal'd $5

Idc bout the money, but I'll take a look and see what I can do.

@greekgodchaos Check THIS out, should be easy and cheap to make. These are remote boards, but you could probabaly use standard SPST or SPDT relays, a small voltage regulator and the eco switch as your trigger for each.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back