The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

elcamino/eclipse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I don't mean to ruin anyones day, but don't expect anything other than dissapointment from that paint job.

We will see. I spent so much into making it go fast I dont have much to spend anymore because im jobless. I work on my eclipse everyday after school. School is more like a hobby, the eclipse is more like my job. It needs to get done so I can have time for a job. Anway, if this looks good, really good. dont act like your not impressed. And you know what, maybe I want a flat aluminum color. LOL.:thumb:

I am going to have to agree with the spray can... It can look good, as soon as I get my camera back up and running I will show you what I have painted with about 50 dollars in Krylon Satin Black. The prep is VERY important, and you have to know what your doing. I will agree that a 2 part Urathan is better than a rattle can job any day, but building your car is about budget. If you can make your car look decent and run a 11 sec. quarter mile with under a $5,000 budget, I say mad props to you.

p.s. the only reason I "rattle canned" a car was just to see if I could do it and how it would turn out. Take my advice, it's alot more work than just painting the damn thing, and you will spend just as much in paint as you would to buy a cheap gun and some cheap paint.

Who am I to say, I'm just another Joe Schmoe from Idaho:dsm:

We will see. I spent so much into making it go fast I dont have much to spend anymore because im jobless. I work on my eclipse everyday after school. School is more like a hobby, the eclipse is more like my job. It needs to get done so I can have time for a job. Anway, if this looks good, really good. dont act like your not impressed. And you know what, maybe I want a flat aluminum color. LOL.:thumb:

Hey do what you wan't but from your avitar you car looked much better previous. Honestly, my car has show car paint compared to yours, and its still not good enough. oh well.

Hey do what you wan't but from your avitar you car looked much better previous. Honestly, my car has show car paint compared to yours, and its still not good enough. oh well.

mine isnt done yet. wait til I make is shine then we will compare. And yea it did look pretty good, but there was a few rust spots that I had to sand out completely and the left rear quarter panel has been hit too. So either way I was going to have to repaint the car.

murderd_91turbo said:
I am going to have to agree with the spray can
Its not spray can. It comes in a bucket.:cool:

We will see. I spent so much into making it go fast I dont have much to spend anymore because im jobless. I work on my eclipse everyday after school. The eclipse is more like a hobby, School is more like my job. It needs to get done so I can have time for a job. Anway, if this looks good, really good. dont act like your not impressed. And you know what, maybe I want a flat aluminum color. LOL.:thumb:

Fixed.:p

You're gonna have a handful of bolts when you're done.
Guaranteed.
I took off my bumper 3 weeks ago, I had 5 extra bolts.
I LOOKED EVERYWHERE I DON'T THINK I MISSED ANYTHING!

When I pulled apart my interior I TRIED to keep track of all the screws. SCREW THAT, you will have plenty left over. I bet I saved 50 pounds on screws! Matter of fact:

FOR SALE- SCREWS TO 91 DSM INTERIOR!
$0.10 Each.

Damn I'm going to be a millionaire!:D

When I pulled apart my interior I TRIED to keep track of all the screws. SCREW THAT, you will have plenty left over. I bet I saved 50 pounds on screws! Matter of fact:

$0.10 Each.

And I'll bet your car is a rattle trap.

$0.10 Each.

Most of the time, I wind up oppositely. I cant find the right hardware. :cool:

Ha! Dude I've been around paint long enough to know that rustolem is good for rusty wagons, farm implements, lamp posts, and hand rails.

It sucks on cars. There is no way ever that it could look as good as a 2 part urethane paint job sprayed from a quality gun. A+ for the effort, but Fail for the follow through. Honestly the cheapest maaco job would have been better.

The thing about painting a car, is the finish quailty is proportional to the prep work and the quailty of the materials used. The shop where I worked painted brand new cars that were being built for the sema show and other events. We would spend about 40 hrs in just prep work on a brand new car. This didn't include disassembly time. I can guess it would take upwards of 100 hrs to get the op's car ready for paint. So after you just spent that much time why would you paint with a $25 gallon of paint. It doesn't make sense. The op is going to spend more in materials to put the windows back in then he did on paint. And I bet his windshield falls out because the urethane don't stick to the rustolem.

I don't mean to ruin anyones day, but don't expect anything other than dissapointment from that paint job.

:toobad:

Rustoleum has been used on many cars, rolled on or sprayed. Look up $50 paint job, the first person I saw do it had an older Chevelle that he rolled orange rustoleum on. The finish is actually harder and more resistant then regular "car paint." His car came out FLAWLESS and has been holding up for years. Plus you don't have to do all the prep work that you overpay these body shops to do.

Why knock the guy if he decided to paint his car himself and save some money, because he didn't feel like getting ripped off by the local body shop. Don't assume it's going to be a "dissapointment" like you said. What's with the negativity from you anyway? If you knew anything about the rustoleum application to cars you would of never made a stupid statement like that.

EDIT: Here's what I'm refering to, scroll down about 10 posts
moparts: paint job on a budget!?

:toobad:

Rustoleum has been used on many cars, rolled on or sprayed. Look up $50 paint job, the first person I saw do it had an older Chevelle that he rolled orange rustoleum on. The finish is actually harder and more resistant then regular "car paint." His car came out FLAWLESS and has been holding up for years. Plus you don't have to do all the prep work that you overpay these body shops to do.

It's what I was kinda hintint at, as before I stated it looks just as good, if not better then factory.
Rolling it on looks okay, but if you spray it, like OP is doing. Then you can't tell.
I hate how many people are so quick to fire on these forums sometimes.
Anyways.
Nice job OP :)
I'm thinking about having the first Matte black eagle talon.

It's what I was kinda hintint at, as before I stated it looks just as good, if not better then factory.
Rolling it on looks okay, but if you spray it, like OP is doing. Then you can't tell.
I hate how many people are so quick to fire on these forums sometimes.
Anyways.
Nice job OP :)
I'm thinking about having the first Matte black eagle talon.

Thanks, That was only the first coat. I need to read up on the wet sanding and such to finish it off.:thumb:

No my car is not a rattle trap. There are actually a shit load of screws that are kinda overkill. I had a few things that were raddling but i replaced the screws now its good to go like a Taco Bell Crunch Wrap!

50 Dollar Paint

Seriously, I AM DOING THIS. I had my car in the paint shop waiting to be painted and I took it out yesterday, because of this site! I'm saving almost 1500!!!!!

Wow.......your not saving $1500....your getting a paint job that will be $1500 good looking... And I'm sure your car is a rattle trap. Are you an engineer? Did you put your car on a shake table? Did you run finite element analysis on it. Probably not. Don't say they are redundant. There not.

This post is why dsm are considered piles of shit. everyone who works on them, half asses the shit out of everything they do on them.... Then they wonder why shit falls apart and breaks.

Wow.......your not saving $1500....your getting a paint job that will be $1500 good looking... And I'm sure your car is a rattle trap. Are you an engineer? Did you put your car on a shake table? Did you run finite element analysis on it. Probably not. Don't say they are redundant. There not.

This post is why dsm are considered piles of shit. everyone who works on them, half asses the shit out of everything they do on them.... Then they wonder why shit falls apart and breaks.

If you dont want to paint your car with rustoleum no one is saying its the only way to spend less money to and get a great shine. Now days new cars are being sprayed with one step paint. When you wax the paint you will see the color of the car on your buffer. Dont insult people just because they want to try a cheaper alternative to expensive paint. After all, rustoleum is more durable, lasts longer, and is waxable. If you want to see what the paint looks like up close then you should take an old fender or something and do the procedure.

Rusteolem is not more durable. I have painted cars longer than you have owned a dsm. I know a thing or two. You cannot buff your rustolem. Yours is metallic. Aluminum rustolem will never shine. It simply can't. The pigments are not of that type. Further more, rustolem dries. It does not cure. It dries by the exaporation of a solvent. Urethane paint cures by a CHEMICAL REACTION! The binder, which is the solution that carries the pigment, cross links with the catylist, creating a solid film. The durability is rustolem is of no comparason to a quailty urethane paint.

Read the hot-rod article about it. Yeah it can look ok, but its not close to the quailty a professional would do with quailty materials.

A 1962 Ford Falcon Recieve A Budget Paint Job - Hot Rod Magazine

quoted from the above article: "The finished car has plenty of flaws compared to a well-sprayed job, but it's a major step up from where we started. We'd rank the finish several notches above the typical quickie one-day budget deals. Honestly, for less than $25 in paint it's hard to fault it too much. With the new stance and attitude the Falcon makes a great impression overall, but we'd say it's really a 4- to 5-foot paint job. If you're a real perfectionist, trying to get it flawless will drive you crazy."

Don't get me wrong, I do think its great what you can do with it, I plan on painting my 63 ford with the stuff. However, its original 45yr old paint, is virtually non exisitant, and I'm in school right now, I don't have the money, and I want a nice white driver. However most cars on here, don't need paint.
Go ahead and finish it, but stop talking like its gonna look great. Because it won't. Its simple as that. honestly you could have bought $50 in materials and painted just the areas of you car that needed attention, then you would have had a nice looking car. Now you have a "rattle canned car"

Also I hope you were not defending the poster that said its ok to have missing fasteners in your interior..Its not. unless your driving a derby car.

Rusteolem is not more durable. I have painted cars longer than you have owned a dsm. I know a thing or two. You cannot buff your rustolem. Yours is metallic. Aluminum rustolem will never shine. It simply can't. The pigments are not of that type. Further more, rustolem dries. It does not cure. It dries by the exaporation of a solvent. Urethane paint cures by a CHEMICAL REACTION! The binder, which is the solution that carries the pigment, cross links with the catylist, creating a solid film. The durability is rustolem is of no comparason to a quailty urethane paint.

Read the hot-rod article about it. Yeah it can look ok, but its not close to the quailty a professional would do with quailty materials.

A 1962 Ford Falcon Recieve A Budget Paint Job - Hot Rod Magazine

quoted from the above article: "The finished car has plenty of flaws compared to a well-sprayed job, but it's a major step up from where we started. We'd rank the finish several notches above the typical quickie one-day budget deals. Honestly, for less than $25 in paint it's hard to fault it too much. With the new stance and attitude the Falcon makes a great impression overall, but we'd say it's really a 4- to 5-foot paint job. If you're a real perfectionist, trying to get it flawless will drive you crazy."

Don't get me wrong, I do think its great what you can do with it, I plan on painting my 63 ford with the stuff. However, its original 45yr old paint, is virtually non exisitant, and I'm in school right now, I don't have the money, and I want a nice white driver. However most cars on here, don't need paint.
Go ahead and finish it, but stop talking like its gonna look great. Because it won't. Its simple as that. honestly you could have bought $50 in materials and painted just the areas of you car that needed attention, then you would have had a nice looking car. Now you have a "rattle canned car"

Also I hope you were not defending the poster that said its ok to have missing fasteners in your interior..Its not. unless your driving a derby car.

Its not rattle caned, the idea is to add mineral spirits to the paint to thin it like water. And if its not waxable then why are people waxing theirs, and why does someone else have my color and it shines, so why cant mine?

It's not a gloss color. Was it gloss before you sanded it? No. You cannot but your color. It uses a metalic pigment. You will distort the metallic pigment. I never said it was not waxable. Waxing is not the same as buffing. Your missing the key points. Yes its cheap. Yes it can look ok. No its is not as good as a real paintjob.

WTF :notgood:

well. ya. but I was just wondering, if this paint is really just going to be flat looking? I actually do like the flat aluminum because it looks like an airforce airplane color. I love the color. I can see a little shine, I wonder if the shine will increase when I got to 1500 grit. Anyone beside bastarddsm know?

bastarddsm give the kid a break. He just needed something so he wasn't putting bare metal/bondo in the elements. We have all had to make choices like this. It's not the best man, but I've had worse. You should see my n/t hahahahaha. That thing is a joke. I can paint like crazy, just never had the time. A for effort.

Oh and btw, I want to meet your mom (= not many moms just have paint for days.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back