The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

EGR Question!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volcom121

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 10, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Is this true...

"The EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve is an emmission control device to lower the combustion temperature in the engine. A lower combustion means lower NOx (nitrogen oxide) emissions. It accomplishes this by allowing exhaust gases to be recirculted into the intake manifold through a EGR value (see illustration). The exhaust acts as a inert gas in the combustion chamber forcing the combustion explosion not to be effective as normal because of the presence of this inert gas. Or as some people rationalize it, it "dirtys" the intake air to not burn as well as it should. Ironically, the EGR emission control actually causes an increase HC (hydrocarbon) emmissions.
Most states test for 2 emissions: 1) CO (Carbon Monoxide) and 2) HC. The NOx test requires very expensive specialized equipment and is only tested in a handfull of state (i.e. CA). So if you live in a state that doesn't test NOx, installing a EGR blockoff will actuall reduce your emissions test results (see HC statement above). If you live in CA you have a problem. In addition to the emission concern, the CA emissions equipped cars have a sensor that will report a trouble code (see Engine Codes) if the EGR is blocked-off. I have heard that all '94+ cars had the CA EGR installed, but can't confirm this since I don't have a '94+."

J/W cause i'm thinking bout taking off my emisions crap, but still wanna pass emmisions testing. :confused:

Sorry So long :talon:

Depends alot on what your particular state does for emmisions control. In Maryland I have not seen a car not pass our emmisions test with the EGR blocked off, or at least for that reason alone. I believe the 94's I have seen do have a sensor on the EGR. At least the few that come through here.

In illinois we don't have a visual. They just hook up a hose to the exhaust.

We have like a yearly emmisions test. Has any one blocked off the EGR and removed emisions solonoids & ect, and succsessfully passed a smog test? :talon:

fawk me if I know if my egr is blcoked off, but I tell you this, I have a 3" turbo back, meaning straightpipe and I passed :thumb:

why block it off in the first place? it dosnt do anything but give you better milage.

Well i wanted to get rid of the emisions crap under my hood to clean it up. What i want to know is how much will it affect emisions if it is blocked off.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back