The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

EGR/FIAV/IAC and etc...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

49erGizmo

5+ Year Contributor
Nov 3, 2017
Cedar Park, Texas
DSMers, question from the Newbie. Why do people delete the EGR on a 4G63T engine? What is the purpose of this removal and what dose it gain?

I have several question but first let get the EGR question down then I'll ask about the other ones...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have removed my EGR and emissions system as my area of the state does not require emission testing. So that means less dirty air being routed back to the intake via the EGR, so cleaner air/fuel mix. I recently bypassed the FIAV so that I don't need coolant routed to my throttle body. Keeping the ISC to aid cold start idling.

I have removed my EGR and emissions system as my area of the state does not require emission testing.

Thank for the information. I am trying to learn as much as I can about this 4G63T engine since in the past I have always had a 420A motors.
So I might be screwed cause my EGR has been deleted off my Car and the IAC. Very soon I need to get my car inspected but here in Williamson county they still do emission

Last edited by a moderator:
I googled what an IAC is and does, I know in my car it has been deleted dont know why but all I know is that I have to keep the petal down for like 5-to 10 mins because if i dont Car will turn off.

An idle air control actuator or idle air control valve (IAC actuator/valve) is a device commonly used in fuel-injected vehicles to control the engine's idling rotational speed (RPM). In carburetted vehicles a similar device known as an idle speed control actuator is used.

Weird. Yeah, without the IAC, you have to maintain idle yourself until it warms up. I wouldn't mind deleting mine, but being in CO, it's not worth it. I kinda like letting it idle itself without my help.

Only asked about the state since you're in TX. Figured if it was a TX car, it got deleted due to warmer climate.

The other question I have is why would someone Reduce the size of the battery to the Car. In my car it has a battery that looks like its for a Motorcycle?

Later on I will take picture of the battery

Just for further info in EGR, it dumps exhaust gases into the intake in order to both reduce the effective displacement and also divert some gas back into the engine in case there are unburnt hydrocarbons or other harmful things that can be recombusted to remove some emissions. It does not operate under engine load and does not affect power at all. In theory it increases your fuel economy but I haven't ever actually seen it make a noticeable difference. It's also reliable and rarely fails, but it does make the intake ports on the manifold and head dirty and is a slight amount of weight and engine bay clutter. I've never wanted to delete mine, but MegaSquirt doesn't support commanding it and the EVO 2 intake manifold doesn't either.

FIAV is frequently deleted because it is typically unreliable. The valve frequently leaks enough that you get idle surge, and the free solution is to adjust it to the point where it can't open. It also provides warm coolant to the throttle body and will negligibly increase intake air temps. I have yet to hear of anyone in any climate report problems after deleting/disabling the FIAV.

IAC is different and in my opinion necessary. It in essence feathers the throttle during starting, and without it your car may have trouble starting, even in mild climates. Mine struggles even in 50 degree weather, let alone actually cold days. Even swapping to an aftermarket throttle body isn't an excuse to delete the valve as many include provisions for the factory valve actuator or provisions for an aftermarket one.

The EGR's primary role is to reduce NOx emissions by returning part of the exhaust gasses back into the intake for further combustion which in turn reduces unburnt fuel. However, an actual benefit of this is also the fact that under cruise and low-load conditions it actually reduces potential engine knock. Believe it or not, knock happens, there isn't a knock-free car anywhere no matter how good a tune it has.

That said, it's not really as impactful as knocking 10 counts at WOT pushing 500 hp+. So the gains of keeping the EGR system are purely ecological. And even that is a band-aid fix. Personally I'm not a supporter of emissions regulations and equipment; it's a long-term scheme to take more money outta our pockets.

As for the other two systems, Tom has explained the gist of them; simply there to better control your idle during cold starts and prolonged hot idling. Often times people end up having more trouble with their idle once they disable one of those systems, and it takes some effort and 100% leak free intakes to get 'em to settle down.

Just for further info in EGR, it dumps exhaust gases into the intake in order to both reduce the effective displacement and also divert some gas back into the engine in case there are unburnt hydrocarbons or other harmful things that can be recombusted to remove some emissions. It does not operate under engine load and does not affect power at all. In theory it increases your fuel economy but I haven't ever actually seen it make a noticeable difference. It's also reliable and rarely fails, but it does make the intake ports on the manifold and head dirty and is a slight amount of weight and engine bay clutter. I've never wanted to delete mine, but MegaSquirt doesn't support commanding it and the EVO 2 intake manifold doesn't either.

FIAV is frequently deleted because it is typically unreliable. The valve frequently leaks enough that you get idle surge, and the free solution is to adjust it to the point where it can't open. It also provides warm coolant to the throttle body and will negligibly increase intake air temps. I have yet to hear of anyone in any climate report problems after deleting/disabling the FIAV.

IAC is different and in my opinion necessary. It in essence feathers the throttle during starting, and without it your car may have trouble starting, even in mild climates. Mine struggles even in 50 degree weather, let alone actually cold days. Even swapping to an aftermarket throttle body isn't an excuse to delete the valve as many include provisions for the factory valve actuator or provisions for an aftermarket one.

Thank you so much for all the information...
learning as much as I can with these modified 4G63T

The EGR's primary role is to reduce NOx emissions by returning part of the exhaust gasses back into the intake for further combustion which in turn reduces unburnt fuel. However, an actual benefit of this is also the fact that under cruise and low-load conditions it actually reduces potential engine knock. Believe it or not, knock happens, there isn't a knock-free car anywhere no matter how good a tune it has.

That said, it's not really as impactful as knocking 10 counts at WOT pushing 500 hp+. So the gains of keeping the EGR system are purely ecological. And even that is a band-aid fix. Personally I'm not a supporter of emissions regulations and equipment; it's a long-term scheme to take more money outta our pockets.

As for the other two systems, Tom has explained the gist of them; simply there to better control your idle during cold starts and prolonged hot idling. Often times people end up having more trouble with their idle once they disable one of those systems, and it takes some effort and 100% leak free intakes to get 'em to settle down.

Thank you so much for all the information...
learning as much as I can with this modified 4G63 T

Next question, I had another eclipse that the Hood was raised with rubber bushing of some sort. to allow clearance due to intake Fuel gage on a 420A intake next to the blow-off valve ..

Does anyone know what these hood rubber bushings are called since I need to do the same to this new Eclipse i just got.. the blowoff vacuum hose is getting pitch due to the hood.

Next question why dose my car make some kinda static sound under the hood sound like it coming from my spark plugs Is this normal or what could it be

Trying to figure out how to load video off my phone

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back