The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

EGR causing failed boost leak test

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bewstin

Proven Member
Dec 4, 2012
Groton, Connecticut
Alrighty, so after about 2 months of chasing down a boost leak, and a few separate threads, I think I may have found the issue as to why my boost leak test is not working! I've replaced everything that was bubbling slowly (using windex) during all my tests I've done, but i have a MAJOR problem somewhere. The car still runs normal, aside from it smelling like a gas station all the time with the extremely rich AFR'S. Basically when doing my BLT, I cant get the system to hold any pressure. Yes I'm using a large compressor, 100psi in the line, and a tire inflator that blasts out a ton of air. I can hear air whooshing out around the exhaust manifold, sounds like its going through the actual manifold but unsure. Anyways, i stumbled across a thread with someone who had my same exact problem. Turns out his EGR was stuck open. I believe my EGR is stuck open, as i just have the nipples capped off...correct? Sooooo i'm assuming all my air pressure is going through my IC piping, into my intake manifold, through the open EGR valve, up through the head and out the #4 exhaust manifold port. Sound possible??? I'm buying my block off plate tonight online, but I'm too anxious to know if this could be my culprit and would like to get some input asap!! :D If this turns out to be the problem im gunna throw a party, literally, because i've been attacking this problem 1-2 times a week for 2 months.

I had a EGR problem similar to yours, very hard to track down, I ended up using baking flour so I could see the air current because I could not get to it with soapy water I guess, the lip around the top of the EGR was completely leaking, EGR block solved that problem real quick. I wouldn't be surprised if the EGR is your problem, good luck!

To add to that, opening your throttle plate may help track it down better but all your valves will need to be closed or at least intake.

Yes, i started a new thread, i wanted to focus more on the problem at hand and more around the EGR. I figured with a different title it would get more feedback from people who know more about EGR related problems.

i disconnect mine and it leaks unless you remove it and block it off. the next leak was the fuel pressure regulator, then the j pipe then a lower ic hose then valve cover. i think i was at 15 psi.

Habitat, today i blocked off the egr with a thin peice of sheet metal i got from the hardware store. Used an OEM gasket and some RTV and bolted the EGR back on over it because i wanted even pressure on the thin plate. Still runs fine, but still very rich under any sort of boost, and hits fuel cut still by not as early in the RPMS as it did before. The EGR WAS stuck open as well so it seems i was definatly losing boost without it being blocked off. I didnt have time to do a BLT, but i noticed while the car was idling that my HKS bov was leaking pretty loud. While it was idling i put my hand over the front of the bov to cover it up where it vents, and the idle dropped so low it almost stalled out. Seems I've found another very big leak i have to fix. Wondering if i can rebuild the BOV or if i should just get a knockoff one, short on cash at the moment.

I have a knock off greddy BOV i might throw on, deffinatly going recirculated again too. Only thing is, last time i used it, i couldn't get it to blow off and it sounded like i kept getting compressor surge instead. I tried adjusting it but couldnt get it to work, i might just pull it apart and check everything.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back