The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

effects of a hole in vacuum line

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nasty Dream

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 30, 2011
Alexandria, Virginia
I installed a hard intake pipe the other day and noticed that there was a hole in the vacuum line going to the wastegate from my manual boost controller.

After replacing the hose with a hole in it, now I noticed that I'm running very little boost. For the past couple of years, I was getting full boost (16psi) at as little as 1/3 throttle and didn't really know any better. So I never really ever pressed the gas pedal past half.

So I'm really happy to have fixed the hole and can't wait to get the MBC set correctly to about 15 PSI.

I don't really have many opportunities to go WOT in rush hour. And I'm really curious what could have been or what the effects of having the hole there did. Here are the things I think this problem could have caused: Would it have worn out the turbo faster; Making the turbo and air hotter than it should have been; Lost a lot of power; and maybe the engine was running lean?

I don't need any help, so it's not a big deal, I'm just curious. By the way this is the stock turbo.

The hole basically made it uncontrolled boost, with air blowing out the hole proper pressure doesn't reach the spring in the waste gate or mbc so the waste gate won't open and when it doesn't open the turbo keeps climbing in psi as pressure is uncontrolled. It definitely can wear a turbo out prematurely as it is always working harder than it needs to reach desired boost lvl, wich is basically infinite because of the hole. Also uncontrolled boost can cause lean conditions, lean conditions can cause engine damage and so on.

Thats ausome that your running 15psi on a stock turbo, but defintly a vacum leak is a turbos worst enemy about once a month I look under my hood and check thoruly for any vacum leaks, cracks, and anything popped off or unplugged you never now and check your BOV for any leaks.

15 psi can easily be reached on a stock turbo even with no MBC. Just have to do the boost control solenoid restrictor removal, usually bumps psi from 12 to 15. Keep in mind anything over 16psi on a t25 is pretty much blowing hot air, not to mention pushing stock fuel system to the limit.

The factory set fuel cut is there to prevent overrunning the capabilities of the stock fuel system. I'm sure the car is fine and no damage was done.

Thanks guys.

I've got the 255lp HP fuel pump with rewire. On that note, I believe I need an AFPR, but not everyone will agree. Car sure smells like fuel sometimes, I have to stick my head out of the window when idling after a cold start. Could be that I simply have a problem with the stock FPR

A 255 with a rewire you need a afpr, no rewire it's not necessary but always a good idea. Fuel cut happens when the ecu sees more air than it thinks the system can handle. If you have fuel upgrades, you need a tuning system to tell the ecu. Hitting fuel cut all the time isn't a good idea. Yes it's there for safety purposes, but it's not meant to be hit all the time.

Yeah man. I'm thinking of getting a new car, but this car is so close to being "done" in my goals, that maybe I should finish it up. I've got 120,000 miles, so it's not too late. It runs and shifts great.

But I feel my car is way out of tune. Pressing the throttle the right amount for how fast you want to go is basically guesswork. I feel like it's running really rich. That's why I'd get the AFPR first. So here's the list of things I'd do if I held on to the car a bit.

AFPR $200
Punisher SR FMIC kit $500
3" Downpipe
16g turbo

Ported O2?
not needed: Injectors?

What else do I need? A Computer?

I want it to be quick, but I want it tuned right, and despite being very technical and a computer professional, I'm a bit weary about messing with my fuel computer. Like, is it a pain in the ass? :)

Wideband, ecmlink v3 or v3 lite, afpr, learn to tune it. When you have a solid base tune, then you can go up to 16g, but you will quickly over run your stock injectors if you plan on boosting over 15 psi with it. So to answer your question on injectors? Yes If you planning on bigger turbo, no if you are keeping stock. (wich I can confidently say you should get bigger injectors...let's be real here, the hp bug bit you LOL)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back