The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

ECU upgrades question? Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowdrag

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 17, 2005
Beaverton, Oregon
I am in the process of perchasing a ECU Eprom from dsmchip.com and these are the question they asked me:

1) A/C cutout at 5000 rpm? What is this?
2) knock sum on the boost gauge? What is this?
3) eliminate airflow cap and fuelcut? What is this?
4) Any change to idle speed? What is this?

My mods are in my profile. Can someone help explain what I need for these question.

Thanks
Jerry

1) I'm not sure but I could guess if you want. Probably keeps the A/C from coming on above 5000 RPM.
2) Makes the stock boost gauge register knock. Do it.
3) Prevents ECU from getting nervous about seeing too much air and thus shutting down the engine. DEFINITELY do it.
4) They're asking you if you want to change the base idle RPMs to something other than 750. No real need unless if maybe you have underdrive pulleys.

1. It is so if your cruising along with the ac on and decide to punch it. The ac will cut off on its own once you hit 5,000 rpm. It's a good thing.

1. How does the A/C Cutout work?
The ECU will look at the throttle postition, and if it exceeds 85% the ECU will cut off power to the A/C clutch. The A/C clutch will stay deactivated for 5 seconds AFTER the throttle has gone below 85%. This is just one less thing you need to worry about during a stoplight encounter.

2. What options are there for the factory boost gauge?
Let's face it, the factory boost gauge is pretty useless! It only looks at the amount of corrected airflow, and takes a guess at what the boost is! By now you should have purchased a proper boost gauge, so let's do something useful with the old boost gauge (you can choose ONLY one): Knock sum - On DSM's, the gauge will normally rest on the "-7", for 0 knock sum. It will rise 5 knock sum per division on the gauge, so "0"=5 knock sum, "+7"=10 knock sum, and "+14"=15 or more knock sum. On GVR-4's, the knock sum is displayed as 5 knock sum per LED. O2 - In this mode, the gauge will give you a quick indication of whether you are in closed-loop or open-loop operation. The center of the gauge ("0") is roughly .50 volts, and the needle should swing back and forth around this point during normal closed-loop operation. The highest mark on the gauge represents approximately .90 volts. Or, if you choose, the boost gauge can be left alone, its up to you.

3. What is fuelcut?
The ECU will cut the fuel and spark if the corrected airflow exceeds a preset limit. This limit can be raise, like by a certain percentage, or totally eliminated.

4. Why change my idle speed?
This option is designed for guys with really BIG cams, that have problems with insufficient vacuum at idle. If you increase the idle speed setting, the ECU will use the ISC to try to maintain that new rpm. You still need to reset the BISS to the new rpm, using the idle setting procedure in the VFAQ.

awsome job at explaining. This will help another noob on their next ecu upgrade.

Thanks

FYI, the explanations above came directly from the DSM Chips site. You were so close! If you want to start delving into custom air/fuel and timing maps, drop me a line and I'll be happy to help you out.

Andy

Yes they did come directly from Keydivers site. Just thought it would be easier to do it that way vs everybody putting up their own explaination.

No disrespect intended. I was just pointing out that everything the original poster needed was on the site.

Good job on helping him out.

Andy

andymoraitis said:
FYI, the explanations above came directly from the DSM Chips site. You were so close! If you want to start delving into custom air/fuel and timing maps, drop me a line and I'll be happy to help you out.

Andy

"delving into custom air/fuel and timing maps " what is this?

I am so new to the ecu upgrade but the upgrade that I am ordering was for a 2gen ecu eprom with the stage 3 upgrade for $385. I hope this is just a plug and play system. They are still in the process of getting one in for me.

Has anyone ever run into any problems with this website? I am still kinda, abit of doubts about buying stuff online with this kinda money, bad experience before.

2nd question, is there anything else that I would need to go with this ecu, I just have a pocket logger and safc2. I have $750 to spend or maybe after the ecu get it dyno.

FORMONTOYA said:
I agree! Tuneing and logging in one package without having to burn a chip at every stage of upgrade.

Jim

I thought that it only works for ecu eprom. I don't have the eprom and I'll be out of cash, maybe I'll sell the safc2 and the logger than.

shadowdrag said:
I thought that it only works for ecu eprom. I don't have the eprom and I'll be out of cash, maybe I'll sell the safc2 and the logger than.

I think I read you have roughly $750 to play with:
DSMLink: $625 max in your hands
95 eprom ecu: if you pay more than $250 you got screwed
Laptop: $75-100 on ebay
Total: $975 if you have to buy everything.
I would sell the safc2 and logger plus take the $750 and go with DSMLink. I swear you will not regret it.

Jim

FORMONTOYA said:
I think I read you have roughly $750 to play with:
DSMLink: $625 max in your hands
95 eprom ecu: if you pay more than $250 you got screwed
Laptop: $75-100 on ebay
Total: $975 if you have to buy everything.
I would sell the safc2 and logger plus take the $750 and go with DSMLink. I swear you will not regret it.

Jim

Ok, thanks. I will cancel the ecu eprom, since they are still in the process of getting one in.
Do you know of a good website to purchase this dsmlink from or ebay is my best bet.
I saw your car profile and Damm your car is fast. I have a to4b and it is still slower than that. I hope to get that dsmlink soon, can't wait to see the same numbers as yours.:thumb:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=35881&sort=1&cat=all&page=1 if you read the disc you will see $250 obo. There are others also. I bought my eprom ecu from the classifieds here.
http://dsmlink.com/ordering.html of course you need the ecu first. And let them socket the ecu for you. Dave knows this ecu like the back of his hand (or maybe thats palm of his hand).
I would only use ebay for the laptop. I probably would not get the ecu off ebay unless the person had a lot of positive points.

Jim

Shadowdrag,

By using custom air/fuel and timing maps, I've run the time shown on the left with no additional fuel control. I have a couple of articles on my personal website that show my settings and also a list of what parts are installed. Believe me, it's not much. You can find my reference information here:

http://homepage.mac.com/andymoraitis/GSXarticle2.html

We'll take a look at your mod list, fuel system and omplete setup and then make some decisions as to what will work best for you. While DSM Link is the ultimate level of control aside of a standalone, I'll likely never step up to it since I've been able to successfully tune by knock and find the edge of reliable power.

Drop me a PM or e-mail and I'll get you started with your settings which Jeff can burn for you as an upgrade to your incoming chip.

Andy

Take the money you have and order ecu+. It's like dsmlink, only you need no e-prom. I am ordering mine this week( and I have an e-prom 95 :sneaky: ) I have read all of the reviews and have found nothing but good things. It does all dsmlink does and more, with more to come from what I understand. You shoud check it out before you make a decision. Just my .02

Well I was in a small accident which bent a few wheels and blew out some tires so that sapped my budget for my build up pretty good. I wasn't sure about going with the chip at first also, but I'm very happy I did and it worked out. I currently have a logger/chip/S-AFCII setup:thumb: . Everything was had for $445 and that was pushing the fundage I had, but it's mad me happy and Jeff does great work and has great customer service so don't worry if you go that route. When I first got the chip, Jeff socketed my ECU and sent it back, all I had to do was plug it in and it worked great:sneaky: . Andy-I've gotten some bigger fuel injectors to go along with a 20g, so I'll be having a new chip burned, so I may be giving you a shout after I'm done looking at your website.

Thanks for all inputs. I have decided to go with dsmchip.com, but jeff had not responded back yet. I did research and dsmlink and parts will cost me close to $1k thats over my budget. I think I'll just stick to the this and maybe when time comes, I'll get the dsmlink later.

Jeff quoted me 95 eprom socketed $250 plus stage3 $125 plus ship $10 = $385 and I am just waiting to hear back from him.

Maybe I'll use the left over cash to get me a EGT unit.

Thanks again. I'll keep you all posted when I get the ECU in.

jerry

Jerry,

If you don't feel like waiting, get in touch with Darren King at FFWD Connection. The web address is http://www.ffwdconnection.com

He's a great guy and usually keeps these in stock. I don't want to take business away from Jeff, but you'd still be doing the chip with him after we talk about custom settings and such. Either way you have a second option.

Stay in touch!

Andy

flyboy346205 said:
No, wait. Go to www.ffwdconnection.com

The guy is great. I just bought mine from him about 3 days ago. Go check out his prices too. They're great.

I'd just sent them a email for a quote. Do they do any of the upgrades? Was there any conflicts with any type of electrical when you install it , CAS conflicts?

Thanks

Jerry,

Darren can sell you a socketed ECU and DSM Link, but he doesn't burn his own chips. Jeff is the one to turn to for the actual chip setup. The good thing is that he doesn't need your ECU to do the chip burn. He does these separately and you can install the chip when it comes in. Jeff will build CAS inversion into the chip, but what you'll need to do on the coil is swap the two outside plugs (1 and 4) and the two inside plugs (2 and 3). Go to my gallery and have a look at how they're arranged on my motor.

Andy

andymoraitis said:
Jerry,

Darren can sell you a socketed ECU and DSM Link, but he doesn't burn his own chips. Jeff is the one to turn to for the actual chip setup. The good thing is that he doesn't need your ECU to do the chip burn. He does these separately and you can install the chip when it comes in. Jeff will build CAS inversion into the chip, but what you'll need to do on the coil is swap the two outside plugs (1 and 4) and the two inside plugs (2 and 3). Go to my gallery and have a look at how they're arranged on my motor.

Andy

Ok thanks Andy. I really can't wait toget my hands on this ecu. I've told me friends all about this ecu set up and yeah, I am really, really excited.

Can't wait until Jeff gets back to me on monday.:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back