The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

420A 2gNT ECU/PCM upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfeman112485

Probationary Member
Jun 19, 2004
Warner Robins, Georgia
Ok. My 95 eclipse N/A is not peforming to the standards that I'd hope it would. I have for starters a cold air intake, a full exhaust header included, and a five angle valve job done to the head. I have heard that by putting and upgraded ecu chip in my computer sytem that I would see a little more HP gains. If this is so which chip is the best for my setup. Thanks for all you help.

If you're thinking of the ECU that Howell Automotive sells, that's made for the 97 non-turbos only. Most chip setups are made for the 90-99 turbo 4G63's and will not work for your application. Also, please avoid those stupid little resistors that are marketed on ebay as they're a waste.

If there are other setups available, please provide us with a link so that we can see what you're specifically thinking of using. Barring that, I'm sure the other N/T guys will catch this post and let me know if I'm off somewhere.

Andy

I dont know of any "chips" and just to let you in on a little secret the 420a wont put out much power with out boost or nitrous. I dont even think anybody has broke 200 whp n/a. So instead of a chip buy a turbo kit and build your motor. That should meet your standards.

Agreed. There aren't any "chips" for our cars, such as those available for the 4G63 or some more popular imports. Like Selmerguy said, you'll want either nitrous or a turbo to see any appreciable gains from your engine. Personally, I think the fuel and spark curves for our cars are pretty aggressive in comparison to other cars' ECUs. If you had a '97, the AF/X ECU, like mentioned above, would've been an option; but unfortunately, it won't work for any other year car. There are also complete engine management units (MS, AEM EMS, etc.), but there are far better, and less expensive ways to squeeze some more ponies out of your car as it is. A stand alone management unit would be one of the last things I buy...

Thanks for all the input. Thats to bad for I had hoped that I would have been able to grasp just a little more hp without droping 3000$ into a turbo kit. If there is anything out there that you guys have tried that has gotten some results please let me know because a turbo kit is just a little out of reach if you know what I mean. Thanks again for your help.

Anything else you do is going to cost you a minimum of $500 and that is nitrous.

If you stayed all motor, you'd be ripping apart the block at this point and spending the money on a rebuild, in which you could just put that money towards a turbo kit.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back