The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

ecu problem or what?? Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebuild4g63

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 27, 2012
phoenix, Arizona
Hi everyone!
First of all I hate asking questions on these forums but.... I'd like to start off by stating I had this problem with my 95 gst before any mods. My car when out of gear can redline when I gas it. When I am in gear punching it , it only goes up to 4000 rpm to maybe 5000 if I am lucky. That said I put a brand new oem clutch, master cylinder, slave cylinder and new lines. My pedal has .5 inches of play wich is perfect to my knowledge. Now my new mods are 255 lph fuel pump, afpr, 750 cc injectors, rfl bov (have three others) , hallman boost controller, boost gauge, afr gauge, new fuel pump, new head and valves and 3 inch cat back exhaust. all I can think of at the moment LOL. My question is why can't I get to redline. running 18lbs boost, and tuned down my afr to about 35psi. Stock turbo. If I turn up my fuel regulator it is way to rich. Thanks in advance!!!! P.s. I read alot before I ask. Doubt it is my speed sensor in advance.

Attachments

• 424441_3542396998563_1231594718_3524392_1569623656_n.jpg
    424441_3542396998563_1231594718_3524392_1569623656_n.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 90
A bad mass air flow sensor will also make it do what your describing.

I know what you are talking about. I had that problem on two other cars and you can really tell the difference with a bad maf sensor compared. A jacked turbo aparently will cause this problem as well LOL Thanks for your input though.

Yes that video is great LOL jk. You should have seen all the oil poor out of my air hose that goes to my sidemount innercooler. About 1 liter im guessing. Big mess

Yes I read the posts, and buying on line or local, it will take almost the same time for parts to arrived.
What I was trying to tell (007jimmy) , that he doesn't need to take the car to a shop, This is something that he can do it by him self and not taking it to some one else.

Sorry I never said he should go to a shop to get the work done. I was trying to say that maybe a local can help him source his needs for this rebuild. I don't live near AZ and nor do I know who he knows or the shops that he knows to get parts from. But what I DO know that a shop will have to REBALANCE that turbo that's all. With ALL the right parts, a turbo swap is a driveway job any day of the week.

Edit: Fixed my previous post....

I am getting the evo turbo rebuilt tomorrow $200. I deleted the water and I'm going to modify my oil drain tube to fil to save money. Why aren't turbo performance shops open on the weekends? could be be a good money making adventure to capatalize on that!

ahh so I got my evo turbo from the rebuild guy (Az Turbo and Tractor Supply) and It looked newer then I gave it to him! Kuddos. I put it in my car and bam rmp's ramp up like a bat out of hell LOL love this turbo! no more problems :) Thanks for all of your suggestions guys! Just to let you know dsm forums are way better then any other forum. Dudes are just way nicer about stuff period. I have been on forums where people pissed me off so bad I couldn't sleep LOL Thanks!

Also I am rebuilding a 7 bolt block and I have a strange problem. Water pump doesn't fit, main cap is one solid piece, and my 7 bolt gasket set is a bit different then my rear main seal so far. Supposed to be a 97 gst block. Kinda worried that I spent alot of money on parts and have the wrong block. It was a bare block when I got it. NOTHING ON IT!

ahh so I got my evo turbo from the rebuild guy (Az Turbo and Tractor Supply) and It looked newer then I gave it to him! Kuddos. I put it in my car and bam rmp's ramp up like a bat out of hell LOL love this turbo! no more problems :) Thanks for all of your suggestions guys! Just to let you know dsm forums are way better then any other forum. Dudes are just way nicer about stuff period. I have been on forums where people pissed me off so bad I couldn't sleep LOL Thanks!

Also I am rebuilding a 7 bolt block and I have a strange problem. Water pump doesn't fit, main cap is one solid piece, and my 7 bolt gasket set is a bit different then my rear main seal so far. Supposed to be a 97 gst block. Kinda worried that I spent alot of money on parts and have the wrong block. It was a bare block when I got it. NOTHING ON IT!

ouch sounds like may have the wrong block! i mean obviously if the parts dont bolt on. Or maybe wrong parts :confused: make sure is not a 6 bolt block!

here are some pics

Attachments

• 429350_3578759507603_1231594718_3540151_195052911_n.jpg
    429350_3578759507603_1231594718_3540151_195052911_n.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 419626_3578760227621_1231594718_3540154_687109278_n.jpg
    419626_3578760227621_1231594718_3540154_687109278_n.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 123
  • 425336_3575247499805_1231594718_3538875_1121145409_n.jpg
    425336_3575247499805_1231594718_3538875_1121145409_n.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 429624_3578762507678_1231594718_3540163_659155198_n.jpg
    429624_3578762507678_1231594718_3540163_659155198_n.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 44

ouch sounds like may have the wrong block! i mean obviously if the parts dont bolt on. Or maybe wrong parts :confused: make sure is not a 6 bolt block!

The 1 piece main girdle is a dead give away that it is a 7 bolt. You could very well have a 1g 7 bolt block because they use a different water pump than a 2g 7 bolt. Look inside the block at the location of the oil squirters and you will know right off the bat which one that it is. IF the squirters are in the same place as a 6 bolt than it is a 1g 7 bolt. IF they are in the main bearing webbing than it is a 2g 7 bolt.

The 1 piece main girdle is a dead give away that it is a 7 bolt. You could very well have a 1g 7 bolt block because they use a different water pump than a 2g 7 bolt. Look inside the block at the location of the oil squirters and you will know right off the bat which one that it is. IF the squirters are in the same place as a 6 bolt than it is a 1g 7 bolt. IF they are in the main bearing webbing than it is a 2g 7 bolt.

This is my first attempt at rebuilding a block LOL SQUIRTERS LOL Where? I Will look at some pics thanks for the advice. I have a very strong feeling it is a 1g 7 bolt. which means it is around a 92-93 right? So I bought everything already for the block. If that is the case will all my 7 bolt internals be ok?:ohdamn:

All internals are the same. You could run into an issue with the thrust bearing if you were sent the late 2g style with the spit thrust.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Look inside the block under the crank for these.

Sorry if you take this the wrong way but you are really jumping the gun here, you had way bigger issues to take care of instead of going out and paying way to much for a 16g that needed a rebuild, I found one for $100 and that's besides the point. You probably should have rebuilt the 14b by getting a kit off ebay and having someone balance the shaft for you and rebuild it yourself. It is very easy! Secondly, you either need to put the 450cc injectors back in and put your boost back down to 11psi so you don't blow another turbo or you need to get DSM link and a socketed ecu or look for a 2g flashable ecu and go that route, alot of people are doing that these days. Alot of your problems could have been avoided and you could have saved yourself money if would would have just read instead of going for it when you really don't know what you are doing apparently.

And is it just me or does it look like he got hosed on the 16g and got an ebay knock off?

Sorry if you take this the wrong way but you are really jumping the gun here, you had way bigger issues to take care of instead of going out and paying way to much for a 16g that needed a rebuild, I found one for $100 and that's besides the point. You probably should have rebuilt the 14b by getting a kit off ebay and having someone balance the shaft for you and rebuild it yourself. It is very easy! Secondly, you either need to put the 450cc injectors back in and put your boost back down to 11psi so you don't blow another turbo or you need to get DSM link and a socketed ecu or look for a 2g flashable ecu and go that route, alot of people are doing that these days. Alot of your problems could have been avoided and you could have saved yourself money if would would have just read instead of going for it when you really don't know what you are doing apparently.

And is it just me or does it look like he got hosed on the 16g and got an ebay knock off?

I have turboed a 95 civic previous to this car so I do have some experience. The two setups are different for sure. I do jump the gun a lot LOL. (due to love of power and excitment)) my evo turbo isn't a knock off. you can tell by the numbers on it. tdo5h. knock off is missing the h or has nothing. Also the serial numbes match. Did you look at the video of my t-25 turbo? it was trashed. The power difference I gained with the new turbo far exceded what I thought. Id psy that money for what I did any day. I put all parts back to normal
and thanks to everyone who kicked my ass back on track! I get carried away LOL

I believe I have a 1g 7bolt block. Thanks for the info guys. Second engine I have owned that was strange LOL That is why I ask questions as much as I do on these things so I don't wast money like I have already done. fml hahahha

I just blew my head gasket LOL suckssssssssss

Finished fixing my head gasket! Ahhh! Im tired now...... Don't buy ebay gaskets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and don't race acura integra's it's not worth a blown head gasket LOL !!! Beat him by about 30 or more car lengths hahahahhaha!!!!!

WOW You too!! I also had a blown headgasket from racing a integra!! ROFL funny stuff... Was like a year or so and of course i took the win:hellyeah:

WOW You too!! I also had a blown headgasket from racing a integra!! ROFL funny stuff... Was like a year or so and of course i took the win:hellyeah:

:hellyeah: hahaha. I remember when I was younger I thought those cars where cool LOL They suck ass comparetivly speaking. The guy was like damn your car is fast as hell, and I was like yeah but I just jacked up my car boo..
So when I was pulling my head off I tried to use my water thermostat housing as leverage and busted it grrr... Now I am having trouble finding the top elbo in town. I hate junk yards but may need to go that route. Pay 1 or 2 dollars to find out they don't even have the car you need LOL

:hellyeah: hahaha. I remember when I was younger I thought those cars where cool LOL They suck ass comparetivly speaking. The guy was like damn your car is fast as hell, and I was like yeah but I just jacked up my car boo..
So when I was pulling my head off I tried to use my water thermostat housing as leverage and busted it grrr... Now I am having trouble finding the top elbo in town. I hate junk yards but may need to go that route. Pay 1 or 2 dollars to find out they don't even have the car you need LOL

Yea my bro has one keeps it nice instead of fast. Oh oh not good, did you try the classified forums? Should be able to find one very cheap.

I got one:) I tried to make a thread about getting one on here but I guess it's not allowed my bad. I haven't been a member long enough so I couldn't post in the classifieds. I still love the dsm forums though, and it is confirmed my engine block is a 1g 7 bolt. Not sure I want it now LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back