The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

ecu problem or what?? Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebuild4g63

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 27, 2012
phoenix, Arizona
Hi everyone!
First of all I hate asking questions on these forums but.... I'd like to start off by stating I had this problem with my 95 gst before any mods. My car when out of gear can redline when I gas it. When I am in gear punching it , it only goes up to 4000 rpm to maybe 5000 if I am lucky. That said I put a brand new oem clutch, master cylinder, slave cylinder and new lines. My pedal has .5 inches of play wich is perfect to my knowledge. Now my new mods are 255 lph fuel pump, afpr, 750 cc injectors, rfl bov (have three others) , hallman boost controller, boost gauge, afr gauge, new fuel pump, new head and valves and 3 inch cat back exhaust. all I can think of at the moment LOL. My question is why can't I get to redline. running 18lbs boost, and tuned down my afr to about 35psi. Stock turbo. If I turn up my fuel regulator it is way to rich. Thanks in advance!!!! P.s. I read alot before I ask. Doubt it is my speed sensor in advance.

Attachments

• 424441_3542396998563_1231594718_3524392_1569623656_n.jpg
    424441_3542396998563_1231594718_3524392_1569623656_n.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 90
Get ecmlink, owners manual, and read all up in these forums of things to do and not to do.:thumb:

I don't want to red line it persay! It just wont go past 4000 rpm 99.99% of the time! I have manuals and I am rebuilding a block as Of a few weeks ago. New everything. I have read for almost a year on my problem and it's a problem to me. That is why I put a new clutch thought it was slipping. Doesn't seem normal. Almost everything on my engine is new except internals, and some sensors and ecu. I have no check engine light. Is it normal to only rev up to 4000 rpm on a dsm in gear?

I have a nology pda dyno but no pda LOL Would that work? If I bought a pda LOL? Instead of a ecmlink? Does that stand for eprom control modual link?

Last edited by a moderator:
I your clutch was slipping then you would "redline" but not feel like you're going anywere,.. Check your basics,. Spark plugs/wires/ boost leaks/ and so on and also get rid of that RFL Blowoff valve and get another blow off valve and Recircalated..

I your clutch was slipping then you would "redline" but not feel like you're going anywere,.. Check your basics,. Spark plugs/wires/ boost leaks/ and so on and also get rid of that RFL Blowoff valve and get another blow off valve and Recircalated..

Do you have something to tune those 750cc injectors??? I agree on getting rid of that BOV and recirculate your new one, check for boost leaks and also check for pre-turbo exhaust leaks. Your turbo is at its limits at 18psi so I am sure all that hot air isn't helping matters any.

thanks guys. I agree on the bov. I have others. just like the noise. problem was there before I touched the car. everything mentioned is new. spark plugs are gapped at 26 thousandths. brand new plug wires. should I get an aftermarket intercooler setup? when my car is cold it moves till it warms up. I put a recirculated bov on once and didn't notice a difference. my cars stock boost is 12 psi. is that normal?

Do you have something to tune those 750cc injectors???

How about answering this question. If you have no tuning device and just threw the injectors in, the first step is to either get a tuning device or take the injectors back out and put the stock ones in.

Who cares about the noise if it makes your car run worse. Put another one on and recirculate it to the intake pipe. You'll notice a difference when the car doesn't try and stall out.

Make sure your base fuel pressure (with the car warmed up and the vacuum line removed and capped by your finger) is at 42.6 psi.

Don't worry about throwing more parts at it. You need to get it running well on what you have first.

An AFPR does exactly what it stands for - allows you to adjust fuel pressure. This will not compensate for 750cc injectors when the ECU is expecting to see 450cc injectors. Either get a tuning device (either ECMlink, custom burned chip, or '98/'99 ECU and ECUflash - an SAFC will not work with the 750's) or take them out and put the 450's back in.

You should perform a boost leak test as well.

750's not tuned will cause it to run just as you describing. With too much fuel the engine will not make any power and it will not rev well.

thanks guys. I have a nology dyno tuner just need a pda. I just put my recirculating bov back on and checked for loose bolts and fasteners. ill put my stock injectors back on till I get a pda. But as I say I had this problem before mods. thanks fir the help ill update on progress!

My guess is the Nology item won't actually be able to tune your car (i.e. adjust for the larger injectors), but more just monitor and log. So if you have more info on it, post it up and we can tell you if it'll help you run the larger injectors or not.

Checking for loose bolts and fasteners doesn't substitute for an actual boost leak test, if that may be what you're comparing it to. If you don't know how to do one, do a search and you should find a tech article.

the nology product is a datalogger with a hp estimator function, it will not tune or compensate for larger injectors. and as stated above, neither will an afpr, that only adjusts fuel pressure to the rail.

you need a tuning device to tell your ecu to dial back how long the injectors stay open. ecmlink (which is your best option), or a custom chip, or a standalone system.
it sounds like you dont have anything compensating for your larger injectors, and they are flooding your engine with nearly double the fuel it should be getting.

Thanks for the input. So I recurculated my bov and readjusted my fuel pressure this morning, and on the way to work it started to blow white smoke out my exhaust. I came straight home and put my 450 cc injectors back in like you said. I went to go pick up my daughter and all the sudden no more smoke, also had no more boost pressure. Felt like driving a geo metro on crack LOL. I believe my turbo took a crap. Sad story. There is a guy selling a evo III 16g turbo that needs a rebuild. Would that be a good idea to snatch that up or should I go stock? And I will try to get an ecmlink asap.

Here it is online. PDA-Dyno and OBD2 Scan Tool

I see you are right about this nology product. all these years I thought I could make use of it LOL. Anyone want to trade LOL jk

Attachments

• SAM_0908.jpg
    SAM_0908.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 73
  • SAM_0909.jpg
    SAM_0909.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 71
I bought the evo III 16g tdo5h turbo! The guy said it needs to be rebuilt, but when he took it off his car he was running it with no problems. I took a youtube video of it to show what im talking about. I really need the turbo in by the weekend or I have no car. Tell me what you think. I bought it for $250.

is my evo III turbo bad.MP4 - YouTube

How much for a rebuild if needed. I need a J pipe, and assume new oil return lines cause they probably aren't the same idk. I just want the opinion if I can use it or rebuild first and I have only $250 bucks and two days this weekend to do this. Thanks

Once I saw it on the video I kind of want to rebuild it too. My problem with that is I live in Az and have no clue where A shop is to buy what I need. I can't buy from a website because I need it fixed by monday morning so I can get to work.

For what you have to do after the turbo rebuild and all the parts you need get to install this thing I am not sure you could get this done over the weekend. I hope someone from AZ could chime in give you a place to go to in your area(to get the right parts from-not do the work for you). That would be the only chance to even have a shot to get this done over the weekend.

Last edited:
Yes I read the posts, and buying on line or local, it will take almost the same time for parts to arrived.
What I was trying to tell (007jimmy) , that he doesn't need to take the car to a shop, This is something that he can do it by him self and not taking it to some one else.

I took my stock turbo off and it is jacked! I found a guy that will rebuild my evo turbo for $200 on Monday. I guess it is better then nothing. I put an add on craigslist for someone to contact me about a j-pipe. I am just going to modify the oil drain tube for now, and I am deleting the water coolant lines. Here is a video of my old turbo. poor thing LOL

My bad stock 2g turbo.MP4 - YouTube

Id like to get a front mount innercooler but have to wait. My girl is getting angry on all the stuff I buy LOL she wants me to get rid of my dsm. I say get rid of her LOL I am in the middle of rebuilding a 97 gst short block right now as well so she isn't happy. She wants to go out to dinner and I want car parts LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back