The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Ecu bad or mpi relay No crank no start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oilers199099

Proven Member
Feb 8, 2023
San Jose, California
Hello
I replaced my ecu and i am not getting a CEL light for 5 seconds. There is a one click when I try to turn the key behind the ecu. What can it be and where should I start. Any help will be grateful
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I sent a spare ecu to ECMTuning this week. My other ecu was sent to foreign auto for repair but when I received it no check engine light at start up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hit me again on how you fixed the issue?
Hi Steve

I back probed the blue and black wire number 8 pin mpi relay and grounded it. Once the the check engine came on it activated the ecu. I tested for spark and changed the fuel filter. Then We tapped into the ignition switch directly to the starter and disabled the clutch switch. It turned over and started. I still have to wire tap the mpi wire or the car will turn off. This works until I can have someone trace the wires that are bad.

well this is a helpful thread as i just bought a 96 awd with a no crank. the ecu had a v2 dsm link so i put in my V3 ecu and it still did nothing. i was able to connect to link and manually trigger my fans but not fuel pump. when i put a jumper wire to the mpi the car will crank but still no fuel pump activation. Been out the DSM game for 10 years so im almost starting from scratch here. im also just as ignorant with the multimeter as the OP so this all seems like some great info. this chassis is junk so im just trying to verify the drivetrain before i pull if to install in my Spyder.

yall got any 96 specific info that differs from the 1g already posted?

Hi Steve

I back probed the blue and black wire number 8 pin mpi relay and grounded it. Once the the check engine came on it activated the ecu. I tested for spark and changed the fuel filter. Then We tapped into the ignition switch directly to the starter and disabled the clutch switch. It turned over and started. I still have to wire tap the mpi wire or the car will turn off. This works until I can have someone trace the wires that are bad.
Hello Steve

Just wanted to say thank you again. Car is back on the road because of you. I really do appreciate all the help and being patient with my posts.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back