The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Economy/Power button

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMopar

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 6, 2007
Vista, California
Ok everything I've read so far says this should be for automatics only. Well I looked at a 90 AWD 5 speed GSX the other week and it had the button. Fair enough maybe the guy swapped the consoles out of an automatic or something.

Fast forward to yesterday, went to the junkyard and was pulling parts off a 93-94 N/T 4g63 talon 5 speed car. Again this car had the button, not only that... I pulled it out and the side cover off the console and it was wired into the factory harness with a factory connector... its definitely been there since the factory and this was a factory 5 speed car as well... Can someone tell me WTF? My car has a hole there... not sure if it had a delete plate or one of these buttons as well.

What could this possibly control on a 5 speed car? I could think on a turbo car maybe have the BCS limit boost... but on a N/T car... WTF?:confused:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

!!! I have a hole for that button in my car. Someone put a carbon fiber switch there, now there's just a hole. Man, I wonder what it does...

O.K. What this for in an automatic car is the ECO (Economy Driving) somehow it gives you better gas mileage... and the PWR (Highways) gives you more power. I'm not sure how this works but my guess is something to do with the air/fuel ratio. It may limit the amount of fuel you are using or something, not to sure. Again this is for the A/T non-turbo cars. My car use to be an A/T non-turbo, so that is as much as I have read in the factory manual (yes, I can't beleive it either, I STILL have the factory manual!). I will read some more tonight, and repost later. I too am wondering what the hell that is for in a turbo 5 speed.

The econy/power switch on the n/t 5spd cars is just like the missing hole in the dash that I have. In the 90-91's there is a button on the dash to lift up the headlights. My car is a 92 where there is a hole on the dash where that button should go. Now all Mitsubishi did was leave the switch in there, that is all I'm sure. The economy and power button on the automatics, does actually work. the economy button shifts your car like normal no matter the throttle position. On Power mode the tranny shifts accordingly as to what the throttle position is. Foot to the floor and somtimes will shift at 8grand if you will let it, otherwise normal driving conditions, car will drive like your wife was driving...LOL

I also had one of these switches in my 91 GS-T 5-speed. Through my own research I've seen that in some 1ga's this is a common occurrence. It is less common in 1gb's. In the majority they have small change holders in the 5-speed cars.

Ya it's weird. I pulled the console side cover off my car and there's no wiring pig-tail for the econo switch like the junkyard car
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I'll just use it as an A/C fan switch :D.

...and is that a stock CD player for this ride? Yea, that PWR/ECO switch was for the auto trannies. Basically what it did was, in ECO, the lockup torque converter would be engaged when it hit 4th gear, while the PWR had the torque converter completely disengaged allowing the converter to add more power to the wheels.

Basically, all 5sp cars have coin holders where this switch is located.

...and is that a stock CD player for this ride? Yea, that PWR/ECO switch was for the auto trannies. Basically what it did was, in ECO, the lockup torque converter would be engaged when it hit 4th gear, while the PWR had the torque converter completely disengaged allowing the converter to add more power to the wheels.

Basically, all 5sp cars have coin holders where this switch is located.

Yes I know the function on an A/T car.... the JY car had the switch though.... and factory wiring for it too...

Look at the base of the shifter. It has a plastic piece around the leather boot. I HAVE NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE, EVER! I wonder what car this is?!

James :laser::talon:

Thats pretty bizarre, standard shouldn't come with that switch, instead it should come with a coin holder. The only thing the switch does is control the rpm at which the car shifts at, and it does alter a/f ratio. I think you get 5-10hp if you put it on power.

The Power/NT (Econ) button changes how the transmission shifts. All it does is shortens the shift RPM on an automatic transmission. Since there is one on that car and its a manual it will serve NO function at all.

Like everyone else has said, the A/T cars come with that button. The reason that the wiring harness is there, plugged in, and works is because Mitsu wouldn't have 2 separate harnesses for the same car. It's a cost effective measure. On my old '92 1.8, it had the harness plugs for the pop-up light button, fog light button, A/C button, and rear wiper button. Most of these will have power going to them, if the relay and fuse are put in the fuse box. The same thing about my '90 GST. The fog light button connector AND fog light connectors were on the car. So I went to the junk yard and bought a pair of fog lights, and they plugged right in and work. I'm assuming that the previous owner just got the button from the junk yard to replace the coin holder. IMO it does make the dash look better.

In power mode the car will downshift more often and rev to the redline and always start off in 1st gear. In economy mode it won't downshift when you want it to (1st gear) and sometimes start in 2nd and will shift at max like 6500rpm.

I finaly read my owners manual and it says that it is simply for gas saving (city/highway). In the picture (silly cartoon drawings) in the owners manual it showed a 5 speed with the eco/pwr button. Maybe DSM screwed up and had a brain fart. Who knows, all I know is that when my car was an A/T it worked. I just pulled that shit out of there when i swapped motors/transmissions.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back