The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Ecmlink/4g63 ecm and harness on a 22re

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThunderChild

Supporting VIP
Jan 5, 2012
Rathdrum, Idaho
So, I have a spare project I'm putting together, 89 4runner, 22re/5 spd. It has a fresh 22re in it, runs great, but is gutless as all hell. I got a wild hair to supercharg it, cuz I have 90% of what I need, it'd be fun, and I would rather have the tq down low than turbo this car. It really only revs effectively to 5k as is, and I don't want to go higher really. It'll be my winter rig and general daily till I get my other truck lined out and finished, as the talon will be going under the knife again soon.

So, specs will be as follows:
-Rebuilt 22re with turbo pistons
-"Closed" chamber head, lightly ported, ~8.7:1 compression
-turbo cam from LCE
-stock valves/springs etc.
-ARP head studs
-oem by
-gen 3 eaton m90 from gm car
-pacesetter header, 2.25 to 2.5 inch with resonators and straight through muffler.

Plan is to work up to ~15 psi, hoping for around 220-240hp, but really just want fat tq out of it. Once setup, I may dyno it for fun.

The engine management, I want to run ecmlink, and am working out most of the details on that currently. I have a spare 1g engine harness, my only question is the diagnostic port. I can probably still get a factory plug off my parts car, just wasn't sure if there was a direct harness for it or way to hardwire it straight to the engine harness? I plan to DL a FSM, but in the mean time, any ideas?
Do you like the idea, hate it, have any opinions or criticism?

What are you doing for the cam sensor/ignition?

Dsm CAS guts inside the 22re housing. Have to do some minor machining to the distributor base (to make it flat) and machine the shaft slightly smaller and flycut one side for the trigger wheel. The trigger wheel will also have to be flipped over, as the 22re dizzy rotates clock-wise vs the CAS's CCW. I'll try to post pics of progress, going to take the dizzy and CAS to the machine shop tomorrow and see what they can do.

http://miata.turbomirage.com/turbo_miata_turbo_upgrade2.html

This guy used dsmlink on a miata motor, Hopeful this gives you a few ideas about what involved.

Awesome, I thought I'd seen something like that before, but couldn't find the thread again after searching. Thanks!

Last edited:
Im sure it will work fine. Im acutally working on a 14/16g miata build with ECMlink using the stock miata engine harness. I have it easier because all the stock sensors work with the DSM ecu. Only things I need to add are resistor box, maf, and knock sensor. As for the DLC connector cut the pig tail and wire it directly to the harness.

DLC pin 1 > ecu pin 1
DLC pin 10 > ecu pin 2
DLC pin 12 > ecu pins 101 or 106

Im sure it will work fine. Im acutally working on a 14/16g miata build with ECMlink using the stock miata engine harness. I have it easier because all the stock sensors work with the DSM ecu. Only things I need to add are resistor box, maf, and knock sensor. As for the DLC connector cut the pig tail and wire it directly to the harness.

DLC pin 1 > ecu pin 1
DLC pin 10 > ecu pin 2
DLC pin 12 > ecu pins 101 or 106

I figured it would be that easy, thanks!

That should be a fun project, nice that Mitsubishi made alot of the import car parts/electronics. I'll be switching dsm sensors into my setup for ease, cause toyota also uses a bunch of vacuum referenced sensors on the 22re, and I'm not dealing with that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back