The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

420A ECM and harness problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codeshark

Probationary Member
Nov 7, 2022
Wilkesboro, North_Carolina
So i bought a 1997 eclipse but it wont turn over ive been told its the ecm but i have replaced it an still no luck. I got to checking the wire harness and it has a manual harness but the car is a automatic would that even work or would i need a automatic harness to get spark to the ecm? the ecm is also manual

So i bought a 1997 eclipse but it wont turn over ive been told its the ecm but i have replaced it an still no luck. I got to checking the wire harness and it has a manual harness but the car is a automatic would that even work or would i need a automatic harness to get spark to the ecm? the ecm is also manual

Wont turn over?

Like you turn the key and the starter doesnt make any noise?

Is this a car you got for $200 thats been sitting in a field for 5 years?

Or is it a car you were driving two days ago that just wouldnt start yesterday?

Wont turn over?

Like you turn the key and the starter doesnt make any noise?

Is this a car you got for $200 thats been sitting in a field for 5 years?

Or is it a car you were driving two days ago that just wouldnt start yesterday?
this car i bought off facebook the guy said it may be the oil pump he said if i change that it may get spark back ive never seen it start i bought it as is from the dude so im trying to figure it out myself it does have a manual wire harness but the car is automatic non turbo the shop i got it at said the wire harness looks all chops up an its got tape everywhere but the guy i bought the thing from is saying it was running like it is that it just stopped an had no spark so idk if i change the oil pump like he said if it would make spark come back?

Changing the oil pump will do nothing for your spark issue. But your saying it won’t turn over. Not turning over means you turn the key and the motor does not crank. You obviously would not have spark if the motor is not spinning.

Before anything please explain more so we know what’s happening.

You turn the key and the motor spins but doesn’t start up?

Or you turn the key and the starter does not spin the motor over?

Changing the oil pump will do nothing for your spark issue. But your saying it won’t turn over. Not turning over means you turn the key and the motor does not crank. You obviously would not have spark if the motor is not spinning.

Before anything please explain more so we know what’s happening.

You turn the key and the motor spins but doesn’t start up?

Or you turn the key and the starter does not spin the motor over?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
so turns over but no spark also no connection to the computer so cant scan to see whats failing which is caused by the wire harness its a manual harness on a automatic car also looks like the harness has been cut in tapped over in spots so not sure if it would be worth trying to trace the wires to see if something not connected an also not sure if a manual harness will work on a automatic

Last edited:
You should be able to run with auto harness when 5 speed swapped. I did with a b series Honda anyways but not personally on a 420a. If the motor spins then you should be able to rule out the transmission harness area.

How are you checking for spark?

Do you have voltage and ground in the 3 wire connector for the coil packs?

Check your grounds also it won’t hurt to verify they are clean and tight

Lastly would be the crank and cam sensors

-Daniel

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back