The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Eclipse Talon 6g72tt AWD Swap (pics added)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mky101

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 16, 2009
rome, New_York
Hello fellow DSMers this is Chuck T of Hardcore Hotrods here to show you better pictures at different angles. In an effort to show you the different problems that need to be solved in this swap if you consider doing this yourself. I look forward to tackling these problems and completing this swap.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

As you can see this engine fills the entire engine bay.

In this picture you can see the motor mount and turbo outlet interference.

The heater core tubes interfer with the rear turbo but turbo clears the firewall with enough space.

The left transmission is a jdm 6g72 n/a AWD and the right is a 4g63 AWD turbo transmission.

The left transmission in this pic is a 4g63 AWD turbo and the right transmission is a 6g72 n/a AWD.

The top intermediate shaft came with the 6g72 n/a AWD transmission. The bottom intermediate shaft came from a 4g63 AWD turbo transmission. The top transfer case came with the 6g72 n/a AWD transmission. The bottom is from a 4g63 AWD turbo transmission. Intermediate shafts and axles have the same splines although the V6 shaft appears to be slightly shorter and the carrier bearing brackets are different. The transfer cases are identical.

I provided these pictures because I couldn't find any pictures of a 3.0L 6g72tt in either a 1G or 2G car. I researched this swap for 6 months. It took me 6 additional months to get the right deal on the engine and transmission from ebay.

The first reason I started this thread was because there seemed to be a great interest in this swap. My last thread on this topic recieved 1900 views in 3 days. Please enjoy the pictures because I could not find any pictures at all of this motor in a 1G or 2G. These pictures detail all the problems I've encountered so far.

The second reason I started this thread is to find out who else has done this engine swap into a 1G or 2G Eclipse/Talon/Laser AWD chassis.

The engine swap I am asking about is the 3.0L 6g72tt V6 from a 3000GT VR-4 , GTO or Stealth installed with the AWD transmission.

Thanks guys, If I keep her shes getting a holset hx35 on it in a month or so... Have to get rid of some of my other cars before I can dump more money and time... It should really be quick on 8-10 psi .

Gage

I'm also reaserching this, but I'm going to stuff it in my 91' galant vr4. Dose the 4g63 trans bolt to the 6g72? I would much rather use the getrag but it seems like a lot of work.

Can you comment on the weight of the 3kgt long-block vs. 4g63 long-block? I think the swap looks great and I like that you're proceeding with it despite the all_too_common response that it isn't possible... But, if you end up picking up another 150 lb on the front of the car that might offset the gains considerably.

Sits in his garage LOL. Most of his time is spent on customer cars.

Hello fellow DSMers this is Chuck T of Hardcore Hotrods here to show you better pictures at different angles. In an effort to show you the different problems that need to be solved in this swap if you consider doing this yourself. I look forward to tackling these problems and completing this swap.

As you can see this engine fills the entire engine bay.

In this picture you can see the motor mount and turbo outlet interference.

The heater core tubes interfer with the rear turbo but turbo clears the firewall with enough space.

The left transmission is a jdm 6g72 n/a AWD and the right is a 4g63 AWD turbo transmission.

The left transmission in this pic is a 4g63 AWD turbo and the right transmission is a 6g72 n/a AWD.

The top intermediate shaft came with the 6g72 n/a AWD transmission. The bottom intermediate shaft came from a 4g63 AWD turbo transmission. The top transfer case came with the 6g72 n/a AWD transmission. The bottom is from a 4g63 AWD turbo transmission. Intermediate shafts and axles have the same splines although the V6 shaft appears to be slightly shorter and the carrier bearing brackets are different. The transfer cases are identical.

I provided these pictures because I couldn't find any pictures of a 3.0L 6g72tt in either a 1G or 2G car. I researched this swap for 6 months. It took me 6 additional months to get the right deal on the engine and transmission from ebay.

The first reason I started this thread was because there seemed to be a great interest in this swap. My last thread on this topic recieved 1900 views in 3 days. Please enjoy the pictures because I could not find any pictures at all of this motor in a 1G or 2G. These pictures detail all the problems I've encountered so far.

The second reason I started this thread is to find out who else has done this engine swap into a 1G or 2G Eclipse/Talon/Laser AWD chassis.

The engine swap I am asking about is the 3.0L 6g72tt V6 from a 3000GT VR-4 , GTO or Stealth installed with the AWD transmission.

this is a freakin cool swap, can't wait to see it run be sure and post a you tube video.

so sad that such an interesting project is going to waste...... i hope it gets picked up again and he post's some pictures of his project

Hmmm, there was a red 2g for sale here locally on Cl that had the complete 6g AWD swap done. had a video of it running and driving. Ill see if i can find it:hmm:

Yeah, it didnt say that the first few times i found it, i didnt realize. But its ore or less the same swap either way. Im pretty sure you could use the same harness/mounts for a 6G72. I wouldnt waste my time with that engine.

couple of things to add as i come from the 3/s platform.

1 retarded hard to get a na awd tranny since they are jdm and to buy one you prob have to get a non turbo 3000gt motor with it. plus they prob dont make clutches that can handle the torque a turbo motor can make

2. the 3.5 swap is from the jdm mitsubishi montero of very specific years. there are other cars this same engine are in like the kia sorento. there is no american car that the 3.5 you need comes out of.

you use the jdm block which if your going to boost needs new rods and pistons. the crank is pretty beast. people with 3000gts are making up to 1500 awhp with this set up.

if you want to stroke it to a 3.7 you replace the crank with a 6g75 crank.

then you can bore it and get a stroker crank to get up to 4.1l

the turbo compressor can be clocked to take car of the interfearance with the subframe.

or you could do a side mount manifold that puts the turbos over the tranny.

3. even with the 3.5 in a 3000gt the cars still run slower times than a properly built 4g63 with a good turbo (why im here)

4. manifolds and good turbos are now 2 times as expensive. a set of good td05 manifolds and good turbos for that engine can be up to 3500 - 5000 bucks

6g motors are very picky with cranks. no polishing you mess it up you chuck it. they are prone to spinning berrings if not in like new condition.

7 and main issue the 6g74 motor uses engine berrings that are not availible in the us and the dealer cannot be sure the berring you order will fit since there are 6 different size sets. so you have to hope the ones in the block you get are good. and the cost for my friend who did this swap for the berrings were 350 bucks

and also consider your adding about 150-300 pounds of weight to a car that is light. unless your going to do a monster build on that thing it will be unique but slower than a 4g63 with a holset or a gt series turbo

Last edited:
Damn... good to know :thumb:

I never cared for that platform, too much crap crammed into a small engine bay, reminds me of the 300z's and brings back bad memories of swappin and working on those stupid ####in cars. Ill never touch one again. Although i may decide to try a 3kgt someday.

Alot of misinfo in the thread. No reason to do this though. Just get a better looking vr4 and put the jdm auto awd trans in like i did. It costs 200 bucks, runs great and you get a better looking car. The non turbi awd auto holds great on the tt 3000gt. No reason to get rid of a perfect bolt in 4g63 that does great in the dsm. If you want an awd auto 3000, buy a vr4.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back