The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Eclipse gsx 2g evo III 16G not boosting right

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DsmDude123

Probationary Member
Aug 14, 2015
Denver, Colorado
Can someone please help me Im still new to dsm's and I wanna know what's wrong with my gsx I have a 1998 eclipse gsx I just got a week ago and I feel like it's not boosting as it should be , here is a list of my mods
CIA
full 3" inch exhaust
Evo 8 bov or 1g not sure
BFMI
Hallman boost controller
16G EVO III
Stock 450cc injectors
190 walbro or 255 walbro not sure or stock

I don't have any gauges yet so I'm not sure how much I'm boosting , but when I hit full throttle the stock boost gauge bearly reaches maxes it out on top end I wanna say around 6k rpm , I'm thinking it's a boost leak , I replaced the gasket that goes i between the turbo and the turbo manifold and it pulled a bit better but i dont feel its enough boost . I had then taken off the cold air intake and there was a bit of oil in the turbo but it doesn't blow any smoke threw the exhaust , hopefully my turbo isn't blown ....

Last edited:
First off, welcome! Feel free to create a profile for your DSM. It is more helpful for others to help if they know what mods are on the car in the future.
As luv2rallye stated, complete a blt to find leaks. Here are additional references to the one posted:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Some other advice:
  • If the stock bcs is still installed, use that to regulate boost due to the fact that you have no idea what you are getting out of your manual one (no boost gauge). Another option could be to run off waste gate pressure. Lastly, I suppose you could turn the manual one all the way down.
  • I would be willing to bet that you probably have the stock fuel pump as you still have stock injectors nor a way of compensating for more fuel (tuning). If you can hear the pump while the car is running, you do indeed have a Walbro and should swap it out for a stock unit, or get an AFPR as you may be over-running a stock unit.
  • Please check maintenance items before turning up the boost. Hopefully you have been here: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/dsm-maintenance-guide.476550/
  • Decide on budget/goals for the car: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/project-management-and-building-a-dsm.421705/
  • Once these items are taken care of, get a boost gauge, wideband, and way of tuning. There are options to fit budgets whether you want an S-AFC, ECUFlash (black box), or ECMLink.
  • Once the above mentioned are in place, an easy fuel setup to learn to tune on if your on a tight budget are Evo 8/9 fuel pump (no AFPR needed yet), fuel pump rewire, and Evo 8/9 injectors.
The PO of your new car neglected the most important parts of the DSM upgrade path. So....
"If you don't know, now you know."
-Notorious B.I.G

Last edited:
Well if you have an upgraded fuel pump with no afpr, you're probably getting too much fuel. Start with simple things. Boost leak test, plugs, wires, make sure you don't have any codes, check for play in the turbo. Too many variables.

Do a boost leak test: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/boost-leak-test-how-to-with-boostpro-net-tester.169435/
The stock boost gauge is a joke (for show). It's only the ECU's estimate of what the boost SHOULD be - not what it actually is!

I'm gonna try a boost leak test . I wanna get a boost gauge soon, its very much needed , thanks for the help , I'll post my results once I get a b
Do a boost leak test: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/boost-leak-test-how-to-with-boostpro-net-tester.169435/
The stock boost gauge is a joke (for show). It's only the ECU's estimate of what the boost SHOULD be - not what it actually is![/QUOTE
Can someone please help me Im still new to dsm's and I wanna know what's wrong with my gsx I have a 1998 eclipse gsx I just got a week ago and I feel like it's not boosting as it should be , here is a list of my mods
CIA
full 3" inch exhaust
Evo 8 bov or 1g not sure
BFMI
Hallman boost controller
16G EVO III
Stock 450cc injectors
190 walbro or 255 walbro not sure or stock

I don't have any gauges yet so I'm not sure how much I'm boosting , but when I hit full throttle the stock boost gauge bearly reaches maxes it out on top end I wanna say around 6k rpm , I'm thinking it's a boost leak , I replaced the gasket that goes i between the turbo and the turbo manifold and it pulled a bit better but i dont feel its enough boost . I had then taken off the cold air intake and there was a bit of oil in the turbo but it doesn't blow any smoke threw the exhaust , hopefully my turbo isn't blown ....

Alright guys I found the problem I think , I turned up the boost a couple turns on the boost controller and it was boosting good , it pulled really well , i parked the car in my drive way , a few hours later I took it for another spin and now as I'm building boost I wanna say around 4k rpm it hits fuel cut . What can cause this?

Alright guys I found the problem I think , I turned up the boost a couple turns on the boost controller and it was boosting good , it pulled really well , i parked the car in my drive way , a few hours later I took it for another spin and now as I'm building boost I wanna say around 4k rpm it hits fuel cut . What can cause this?

Not reading advice given to you and turning up the boost.

Your right man , I'm getting ahead of myself , should I turn down the boost and try a boost leak test? and thanks for welcoming me

This is what you should do:

The stock boost gauge is a joke (for show). It's only the ECU's estimate of what the boost SHOULD be - not what it actually is!

First off, welcome! Feel free to create a profile for your DSM. It is more helpful for others to help if they know what mods are on the car in the future.
As luv2rallye stated, complete a blt to find leaks. Here are additional references to the one posted:

Some other advice:
  • If the stock bcs is still installed, use that to regulate boost due to the fact that you have no idea what you are getting out of your manual one (no boost gauge). Another option could be to run off waste gate pressure. Lastly, I suppose you could turn the manual one all the way down.
  • I would be willing to bet that you probably have the stock fuel pump as you still have stock injectors nor a way of compensating for more fuel (tuning). If you can hear the pump while the car is running, you do indeed have a Walbro and should swap it out for a stock unit, or get an AFPR as you may be over-running a stock unit.
  • Please check maintenance items before turning up the boost. Hopefully you have been here: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/dsm-maintenance-guide.476550/
  • Decide on budget/goals for the car: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/project-management-and-building-a-dsm.421705/
  • Once these items are taken care of, get a boost gauge, wideband, and way of tuning. There are options to fit budgets whether you want an S-AFC, ECUFlash (black box), or ECMLink.
  • Once the above mentioned are in place, an easy fuel setup to learn to tune on if your on a tight budget are Evo 8/9 fuel pump (no AFPR needed yet), fuel pump rewire, and Evo 8/9 injectors.
The PO of your new car neglected the most important parts of the DSM upgrade path. So....
"If you don't know, now you know."
-Notorious B.I.G

Well if you have an upgraded fuel pump with no afpr, you're probably getting too much fuel. Start with simple things. Boost leak test, plugs, wires, make sure you don't have any codes, check for play in the turbo. Too many variables.

I haven't done a boost leak test which I need too , plugs and wires a taken care of I did a full fresh tune up 3 days ago , it isn't throwing any codes not that I know of , and I check the turbo for shaft play and no shaft play ,

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back