The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

eBay CX Racing 16g turbo and eBay CX Racing intercooler, are they good or no?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kengo

Probationary Member
Oct 17, 2023
Brooklyn Center, MN, Minnesota
Hi Newbie here and I was wondering is Ebay racing 16g turbo and intercooler works good on my 2g eclipse gst? Budget is limited under 1k. Price is not too bad considering brand-new as well.

1. Complete turbo with j pipe: ($368.72) https://www.ebay.com/itm/1434220224...BpY44yhQ6W&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

2. Complete intercooler with pipes: ($259.99) https://www.ebay.com/itm/1324450504...BpY44yhQ6W&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Total cost for complete turbo and intercooler is $628.61. Maybe can use the extra $372 for boost gauge, boost controller, fuel pump, fuel injector and fuel pressure regular assuming I can get a good deal. Let me know what you think? Thanks in advance for the help out.

Last edited:
A CX Racing intercooler is fine with a 16g level turbo (I run one myself and saw great IATs), but you have ensure that the piping is meant for the correct style of turbo. If it's a "stock replacement" for a 2G, it will have pipe bends and likely even intercooler end tanks meant for the T25 compressor outlet direction, as the one you linked does, and is not meant for a 16g which uses a J-pipe. That means they won't line up at all.

You'll need a 2G w/ 14b/16G turbo swap style intercooler setup if you plan on running said turbo.

Stay away from that turbo. Go authentic Mitsu or something with a DSM flange from a reputable manufacturer.

Run of the mill Chinese knockoff 16g, same exact one can be had through other vendors without the marked up extras for 150 bucks. Do the same thing as an authentic one until they don’t, which is typically a short life span so buyer beware. You can usually pick up a working used authentic MHI 16g here on the classifieds for about 300 bucks and even being used have better chances of longevity from it.

As far as the intercooler goes it’ll be fine for what you’re doing as long as the pipes are correct as mentioned above and then you’ll know whether or not you need the j pipe. You can get a generic j pipe and an authentic 16g for less than what they’re listing a knockoff for. Think of it like this, other vendors sell that same Chinese 16g for $150 with the lines, CX racing is basically up charging over $200 because they toss in a generic j pipe that’s maybe worth 50 bucks new.

A CX Racing intercooler is fine with a 16g level turbo (I run one myself and saw great IATs), but you have ensure that the piping is meant for the correct style of turbo. If it's a "stock replacement" for a 2G, it will have pipe bends and likely even intercooler end tanks meant for the T25 compressor outlet direction, as the one you linked does, and is not meant for a 16g which uses a J-pipe. That means they won't line up at all.

You'll need a 2G w/ 14b/16G turbo swap style intercooler setup if you plan on running said turbo.

Stay away from that turbo. Go authentic Mitsu or something with a DSM flange from a reputable manufacturer.
can you link me or give me the correct intercooler for a small evo 16g turbo swap? Yes I will swap to an evo small 16g turbo but the turbo does have a j pipe. Let me know if you know which one will fit for the evo 16g thanks.

Run of the mill Chinese knockoff 16g, same exact one can be had through other vendors without the marked up extras for 150 bucks. Do the same thing as an authentic one until they don’t, which is typically a short life span so buyer beware. You can usually pick up a working used authentic MHI 16g here on the classifieds for about 300 bucks and even being used have better chances of longevity from it.

As far as the intercooler goes it’ll be fine for what you’re doing as long as the pipes are correct as mentioned above and then you’ll know whether or not you need the j pipe. You can get a generic j pipe and an authentic 16g for less than what they’re listing a knockoff for. Think of it like this, other vendors sell that same Chinese 16g for $150 with the lines, CX racing is basically up charging over $200 because they toss in a generic j pipe that’s maybe worth 50 bucks new.
I already have the small evo 16g turbo so which intercooler should I buy to fit this new turbo? if you know which one will fit please give me the link or website, thanks.

That cx racing one is common on ebay or was i ran one of mt dsms a about 2004 it did a good job even on the dyno with my 18g.

CXRacing turbos have improved their quality over the years. My friends use them with no issues. No brainer for the price just dont run them above 21psi

CXRacing turbos have improved their quality over the years. My friends use them with no issues. No brainer for the price just dont run them above 21psi

There are people that swear smoking crack doesn’t cause them any ill effects as well. Still wouldn’t personally try it.

Go authentic MHI or nothing. If you can’t pay you shouldn’t play.

There are people that swear smoking crack doesn’t cause them any ill effects as well. Still wouldn’t personally try it.

Technically, it should be if you can't pay, you shouldn't play. But if you play anyway and don't pay, then you're going to pay because you tried to play.

I have your same mindset, go OEM (or something better) or go home but I've been really surprised by the quality of CXracing turbos as long as they don't get pushed that much.

Let’s say it again all together, “CX racing turbos are the same Chinese 16g’s built by the same Chinese 8 year olds that every other eBay vendor sells, CXracing does nothing special with them”. With that being said, it’s like I mentioned above they work until they don’t. I’ve seen a couple live 20k+ miles in daily drivers, I’ve seen most fail much earlier and I’ve personally had one fail at about 3k miles, it doesn’t mean don’t go for it, just means they’re a buyer beware situation. Sure they’re only 150 bucks, but if one shits the bed and you buy another you’re in for about what a used MHI 16g goes for. With that being said, a used MHI 16g is still a used turbo and in some cases 20+ years old, no guarantee even a good used one will live a long time. Gotta weigh your pros and cons, for me personally if I want to keep it like that a long time I’ll buy a real MHI unit, on something like my 1ga that’s a rotted out shit box who’s main purpose in life will be to do 3rd gear rolling burnouts and butthurt the Focus ST guys driving to the Ford plant in the morning like they have the fastest thing around, it’s getting the $150 dolla holla. If it smokes itself then I grab a real one and I have all the lines and what not and a good 7cm housing and good adjustable gate actuator, plus I will have gotten plenty of rolling burnouts out of it already, so who’s really losing there!

I have had 2 or 3 cars with an ebay 16g turbo, they all performed fine. I wouldn't call them an upgrade in power but they performed fine at stock boost levels

my primary issue is with the ebay install kits from cx racing. the included coolant lines have the wrong length banjo bolt and can cause a coolant leak

the j pipe to side mount piping is also wrong, they list it as for a 2g but the piping is too long and is actually for a 1g. I made it work but its not good quality

if you must run an ebay turbo, just get the turbo and then get a good install kit from kinugawa or from extremepsi.com I prefer the silicon hose oil return line. make sure you use a little rtv on the gasket that goes to the pan for the drain

so ebay turbo is ok for stock applications, but that included hardware and oil and coolant lines are junk. buy the 2g turbo install kit from another vendor.

also you need to buy a new set of manifold to turbo bolts, they typically break when you remove the old turbo

for what its worth my 14b turbo felt like it really had alot more top end to redline then the ebay 16g.

Thanks for all the great advice, appreciated. I'll see what I can do.

Intercooler is quite expensive above $500, I guess I might have to wait and save a bit first. Thanks
Could be worse. Here's a snip from the receipt. PO of my car bought the kit:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Check out that shipping charge. All the priority shipping in the world, and he still didn't put it on. I ended up doing it after I bought the car.
On a Talon front bumper, it required removing the support, foglights, and majorly trimming the bumper to fit the intercooler. It put my Dremel in an early...er grave.
With an Eclipse it's supposed to be much easier.

Could be worse. Here's a snip from the receipt. PO of my car bought the kit:

Check out that shipping charge. All the priority shipping in the world, and he still didn't put it on. I ended up doing it after I bought the car.
On a Talon front bumper, it required removing the support, foglights, and majorly trimming the bumper to fit the intercooler. It put my Dremel in an early...er grave.
With an Eclipse it's supposed to be much easier.
I'm looking in getting same front mount on my 98 Talon. Are you still running AC?

Yep. My build thread has a pic of the IC/piping mounted up.
The Talon front bumper required some massive clearancing with a dremel, though..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back