The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Ebay clutch Kits?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talon94es

20+ Year Contributor
May 3, 2002
BroomField, Colorado
Hi guys, I recently mentioned I'm in need of a new clutch. Well, my mechanic was going to get a quality OEM replacement for $212 for the clutch kit. The Kit + Install was going to cost me $750 with a flywheel resurfacing. (Please don't refute pricing). Anyways, I got to looking around and am seeing some nice kits on ebay that include a new Flywheel for only about $200-$300. This guys got good feedback so I'd imagine these are good quailty. This would be a higher performing clutch and would save some cash. Any suggestions on these. Here's a good one I found with Fidnanza flywheel. I'm thinking this would be good. Is mine a 94 2.0t 7 Bolt? Thanks

eBay Motors: EXEDY CLUTCH & FIDANZA FLYWHEEL 92-99 ECLIPSE TALON FWD (item 160201713323 end time Jan-29-08 19:46:30 PST)

EDIT, this is actually the turbo model. I called that shop and talked with a sales associate. It would cost quite a bit for the NT Fidnanza Flywheel. For a stock Exceedy Clutch kit with new Fidnanza Flywheel throught them for my model it would cost $383 + shipping!! He said it cost a lot more for the flywheel for my car because it's an older model and they don't make as many thus causing the price to be much higher. He said I'd notice a big difference with that Flywheel though! So, I dunno.

Yes if you have a 94 it is a 7bolt. The turbo models have a bigger flywheel so the turbo flywheel will not work in your case. The more logical reason for the N/T flywheel costing more is not because of the age of the car but because it is a N/T which hardly anyone buys lightened flywheels for. Even the clutch for a turbo model is different.

I have purchased an exedy stock clutch kit from ebay and had no problems with it. The Fidanza flywheel is an awesome flywheel for a FWD in my opinion. I had one on my FWD turbo and it gave a great drive IMO

Yes if you have a 94 it is a 7bolt. The turbo models have a bigger flywheel so the turbo flywheel will not work in your case. The more logical reason for the N/T flywheel costing more is not because of the age of the car but because it is a N/T which hardly anyone buys lightened flywheels for. Even the clutch for a turbo model is different.

I have purchased an exedy stock clutch kit from ebay and had no problems with it. The Fidanza flywheel is an awesome flywheel for a FWD in my opinion. I had one on my FWD turbo and it gave a great drive IMO

Yeah, my main concerns with that flywheel would be durability/longevity which doesn't seem to be a problem. The other issue I've heard was chatter at idle. Do you know if that's true? I also read that it can cause you to loose idle and almost die sometimes when going into neutral while driving or stopping. It's a big investment at $250+ for the Fidanza on NT so I want to make sure it works out good. I just don't know if it's good to resurface my flywheel when I've got 180K on this car. I dunno if the clutch has ever been done since I bought it at 99k miles.

Well, I ended up calling a store that sells off ebay. I just decided to buy a stock OEM replacement. I bought the Exedy Brand Clutch Kit. I figured anything more that that would be a little excessive for my needs. I also went with the Fidanza lightweight flywheel. I got both including shipping for $415. Not too shabby I must say. This is the shop. Great Deals and cool staff!
eBay Motors: EXEDY 89-94 ECLIPSE / TALON 2.0 L NON-TURBO CLUTCH KIT (item 170187206215 end time Jan-26-08 16:53:36 PST)

Also, utrarev.com has some smoking deals in case anyones looking for awesome deals on clutches!

Make sure you install a new OEM throwout bearing, and depending on wear a new fork, pivot ball, and clip with any new clutch combo!

Make sure you install a new OEM throwout bearing, and depending on wear a new fork, pivot ball, and clip with any new clutch combo!

Cool, thanks for that info absolute! I'm pretty sure the kit comes with the throwout bearing. I dunno about the fork or pivot ball and clip. I'll ask my mechanic about that when I take it to him for the install. I can't wait to see how my car drives after this! :D

Cool, thanks for that info absolute! I'm pretty sure the kit comes with the throwout bearing. I dunno about the fork or pivot ball and clip. I'll ask my mechanic about that when I take it to him for the install. I can't wait to see how my car drives after this! :D

Youre welcome, but you missed the main point. ;)

Take the throwout bearing that comes with the kit and throw it away. Go get an OEM. Any aftermarket throwout bearings are known to fail.

Youre welcome, but you missed the main point. ;)

Take the throwout bearing that comes with the kit and throw it away. Go get an OEM. Any aftermarket throwout bearings are known to fail.

Oh really? Doh. I'll have to ask my mechanic about that and make sure he orders an OEM one instead. Thanks for the info!

My Spec TOB is the exact same one as my OEM one.

Yeah, I have yet to call my mechanic on this but I'd think the TOB that comes with my kit "should" be fine. I'm going to make sure of this but it seems kinda strange it would be prone to failure.

I just got the parts in today. If anyone needs to know the part number for the fidanza for the NT's is Part No. 16184. From what I've heard exedy clutches are supposed to be pretty good. It states the clutch is good for a lightly modified vehicle. I'm hoping the throwout bearing won't need replacing as mentioned by absolute_DSM stating non-stock bearings are prone to failure? It's Nachi brand bearings as can been seen in the picture. Here's a few shots.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I hate to be the bearer of bad new but if you got that for your NT to do a modular conversition that is NOT the right flywheel. It's easy to tell because there is no bolt that goes directly threw the center of our flywheel just 8 that go around the center. The correct part number is 194201. :( sorry bud

I hate to be the bearer of bad new but if you got that for your NT to do a modular conversition that is NOT the right flywheel. It's easy to tell because there is no bolt that goes directly threw the center of our flywheel just 8 that go around the center. The correct part number is 194201. :( sorry bud

Wow, that was confusing but I think sort of right. What he has there is a 6 bolt flywheel. You're right, the center hole is empty and used by the alignment tool to install the clutch. For bolt count you just count the holes that are in a ring around that center hole. A seven bolt flywheel, which should be what is needed for a 94 block, just has seven bolts spread in a ring like the six on this flywheel.

Slippi84, is that number you listed the part for the N/T 2g or the N/T 1g 2.0?

So yeah... if in fact you have a seven bolt engine, that is the wrong flywheel.

Wow, that was confusing but sort of right. What he has there is a 6 bolt flywheel. You're right, the center hole is empty and used by the alignment tool to install the clutch. For bolt count you just count the holes that are in a ring around that center hole. A seven bolt flywheel, which should be what is needed for a 94 block, just has seven bolts spread in a ring like the six on this flywheel.

So yeah... if in fact you have a seven bolt engine, that is the wrong flywheel.

It's confusing to you because your a turbo guy like I once was. He is NOT a 7 bolt engine either. His flywheel connects with 8 bolts in a circular pattern around the center with NO bolt hole to go thhrew the very center of the flywheel. Like I said the flywheel you need is a 194201. Just go on any page that has findanza flywheels and look up a flywheel for a 95 dodge neon and you will see what i'm saying is right as the 95 neon had a non modular clutch setup.(for you turbo guys that means the flywheel and clutch aren't rivetted together where as with a modular clutch like all eclipse NT's come with stock come with are)

I should have caught this the first tyime I posted in this thread. See this is a case where miss information caused you a good bit of inconvience. The reason a N/T flywheel cost so much has nothing to do with how old or how many people want them it's because in stock for a eclipse N/T flywheel comes with the clutch in a modular setup. Do some research on modular and non modular clutch setups and then order a new setup or if that is the right clutch then just teh right flywheel and then all you need is the clutch to flywheel and flywheel to crank bolts from a 95 neon. I know this because i literally just got done doing the exact same thing.

It's confusing to you because your a turbo guy like I once was. He is NOT a 7 bolt engine either. His flywheel connects with 8 bolts in a circular pattern around the center with NO bolt hole to go thhrew the very center of the flywheel. Like I said the flywheel you need is a 194201. Just go on any page that has findanza flywheels and look up a flywheel for a 95 dodge neon and you will see what i'm saying is right as the 95 neon had a non modular clutch setup.(for you turbo guys that means the flywheel and clutch aren't rivetted together where as with a modular clutch like all eclipse NT's come with stock come with are)

Unless I've lost my mind, the 1g cars don't use the 420a they use an N/T version of the 4G63 or the earlier models also offered a 1.8l engine similar to the 4g63. So no neon engine, that is a 2g thing.

Hey Guys, you kinda confused me with your post. I'm a 1G 4G63. I'm pretty certain this is the correct flywheel for my 2.0NT application. Take a look at this link and then do a find for 16184. You'll see this>
Fidanza 161841 Built To Fly Flywheels - 2.0L NA
Key features Fidanza
Flywheel: review Fidanza
* Plymouth Eclipse-Talon 89-94 (90-92)
* 2.0L NA

You've got me all sketched out. I sure hope it's the right one!!

Slippi is just confused, but Im sure he knows what hes talking about.

The OP has a 94 NT which is a 4g63 NT. BUT, its a 7 bolt 4g63 which means you still have the wrong flywheel. What you have there is a 6 bolt flywheel.

DOHHHHHHHHHH!! My bad budd. I'm in 420a mode I see N/T and think your 2gnt. your 1gNT. Well i just look silly now :sosad:.

Atleast everyone knows about 2gnt clutches now :confused:

DOHHHHHHHHHH!! My bad budd. I'm in 420a mode I see N/T and think your 2gnt. your 1gNT. Well i just look silly now :sosad:.

Atleast everyone knows about 2gnt clutches now :confused:

Hehe, np man. I was just like.. Ohh noooezz it can't be.. :)

Well, guess what. I got my car in today and sure enough.... The flywheel I bought is for a 6 Bolt and my 94 NT 2.0 is a 7 Bolt!!! Agggrrrhrhhhhhhhhhhhh, Go figure.. Just my luck... Anyways, my mechanic said these 94's can be either 7 or 6 bolt.. So, Guess I'll be returning this expensive flywheel and just have him resurface my existing one. Sure sucks, but wadda ya gonna do..:beatentodeath:

Also, that gripforce clutch shop is charging me a 25% restocking Fee!!! Man this sucks. They claimed that NO Non-Turbo's 94's Have 6 Bolt crank. They said it has been modified with a 7 Bolt and that's the only explaination. My mechanic claims otherwise. Either way, I'm just going to have my mechanic resurface my flywheel and return the fidanza for 75% of the cost I paid for it.. YEah,, Great....

Mitsu did the 7-bolt switch in mid 92. All 4G63 engines past that time are 7 bolt. All the bolt info is readily available on VFAQ. If your seller is saying the 7 bolt is a modification and it should be a 6 bolt I'd fight 'em hard on it. Show them VFAQ.com. Of course, you should have looked at that yourself before buying but it might save you the restocking fee.

Mitsu did the 7-bolt switch in mid 92. All 4G63 engines past that time are 7 bolt. All the bolt info is readily available on VFAQ. If your seller is saying the 7 bolt is a modification and it should be a 6 bolt I'd fight 'em hard on it. Show them VFAQ.com. Of course, you should have looked at that yourself before buying but it might save you the restocking fee.

Yep, Taken from vfaq. They were arguing that the 6 Bolt IS the correct flywheel and that my car had to of been modified if it has a 7 Bolt! Judging from this it appears ALL 93+ NT or Turbo have 7 BOLT! Thanks for this info, I'll try and have the sales rep check this before I send it back to them. That way, maybe I can avoid the 25% restocking fee. Or, at least, a portion of the 25% fee. I just want my car back on the road with a new clutch. Screw the fancy stuff man. :mad:

How to quickly tell a 6bolt and 7bolt engine apart

Those people who are unlucky enough to own a DSM built around April/May of 92 often have no idea what parts to order for their cars, as DSMs changed from 6bolt to 7bolt flywheels at that time, along with many other changes. What is worse is that often even after giving a parts counter guy the exact build date of your car and ordering parts, you'll find out they don't fit. This is the fastest way to tell a 6bolt and 7bolt motor apart. This is also handy if you just bought a car or are digging in a junkyard, and don't know if the engine has ever been replaced. Checking the head bolts may not work for you, as someone may have replaced the head in the past.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back